Looking for AMP to drive KEF Q700

samlam

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've got a KEF Q700 driven by CREEK EVO2 AMP. I mainly listen pop and found the bass is not tight and wonder the CREEK hasn't enough power to drive the Q700. I'm going to upgrade my AMP to improve the bass performance and looking for opinion. Will CREEK 5350 give a obviously improvement in bass of the Q700?

In the past, everyone said KEF is easy drive speakers, but I wonder the Q series that is in a "close" box (without a reflex hole), sensitive 89db, is it "still" a easy drive speaker? OR it needs a powerful amp to drive?

I've a very old Pioneer A717 stero amp but malfunction, does it worth to repair and will the A717 have better performance than the CREEK EVO? Any amp that is in the same level to CREEK 5350 recommend for me to drive the Q700 for listening pop music and has good performance in bass?

Thanks

Sam

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't comment on how your Pioneer compares to the Creek, but the Q700's are a very easy load, so you won't need bundles of power to get them going, or even make them sound good. They do respond to quality though.

samlam

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I can't comment on how your Pioneer compares to the Creek, but the Q700's are a very easy load, so you won't need bundles of power to get them going, or even make them sound good. They do respond to quality though.

Thanks for your reply. Do you means that since the Q700's are a very easy load, CREEK EVO amp is enough to drive it? CREEK EVO and CREEK 5350 or even CREEK Destiny will make the SAME sound quality out from the Q700,s?

Thanks again

samlam said:
Hi guys, I've got a KEF Q700 driven by CREEK EVO2 AMP. I mainly listen pop and found the bass is not tight and wonder the CREEK hasn't enough power to drive the Q700. I'm going to upgrade my AMP to improve the bass performance and looking for opinion. Will CREEK 5350 give a obviously improvement in bass of the Q700? In the past, everyone said KEF is easy drive speakers, but I wonder the Q series that is in a "close" box (without a reflex hole), sensitive 89db, is it "still" a easy drive speaker? OR it needs a powerful amp to drive? I've a very old Pioneer A717 stero amp but malfunction, does it worth to repair and will the A717 have better performance than the CREEK EVO? Any amp that is in the same level to CREEK 5350 recommend for me to drive the Q700 for listening pop music and has good performance in bass? Thanks Sam

Can't comment on Kef Q series, but have heard Creek Evo2 - and loved it. However, like any component, it has its limitations. I would suggest Leema Pulse. Fanatical with tight bass and should do the Kefs, according to others on here, justice.

samlam

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
samlam said:
Hi guys, I've got a KEF Q700 driven by CREEK EVO2 AMP. I mainly listen pop and found the bass is not tight and wonder the CREEK hasn't enough power to drive the Q700. I'm going to upgrade my AMP to improve the bass performance and looking for opinion. Will CREEK 5350 give a obviously improvement in bass of the Q700? In the past, everyone said KEF is easy drive speakers, but I wonder the Q series that is in a "close" box (without a reflex hole), sensitive 89db, is it "still" a easy drive speaker? OR it needs a powerful amp to drive? I've a very old Pioneer A717 stero amp but malfunction, does it worth to repair and will the A717 have better performance than the CREEK EVO? Any amp that is in the same level to CREEK 5350 recommend for me to drive the Q700 for listening pop music and has good performance in bass? Thanks Sam

Can't comment on Kef Q series, but have heard Creek Evo2 - and loved it. However, like any component, it has its limitations. I would suggest Leema Pulse. Fanatical with tight bass and should do the Kefs, according to others on here, justice.

Thanks for your comment. I'm living in Hong Kong and can't find the Leema Pulse, or even there is no wholesaler in here. Have you heard Creek 5350, Atoll 100se, Arcam A18 or Onix? Which one you think can give the Q700 tighter bass?

I still wonder a easy drive speaker like KEF's whenever needs a high level amp, The sound quality (especially the bass) from the Q700 between driven by a Creek Evo and a higher level amp is no difference if the Creek evo can bring the Q700 into full play? No room of improvement about the bass if upgrade the amplifier?

T

the record spot

If your Pioneer 717 is the dual mono one that pops up when I list, then look into getting it serviced, and back up and running again. 100wpc, dual mono as I say, big classic Japanese amp from the late 80s. To my mind, these took off where Sansui were at in the 70s and I reckon highly of their amplifiers (having owned a couple).

I'll stick my neck out and say that this amp will do all that PP's much liked Leema will deliver. If it's any help, I tried out an Exposure 3010, a Harman Kardon HK990 and a Leema Pulse when my old Sansui AU717 was being repaired and it was the better of them all. They newer amps were all good, but nothing that £1000+ would improve greatly on. Spend £200 and get your amp fixed and try it out. My guess is you'll like it.

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/a-717-e.html

samlam

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
If your Pioneer 717 is the dual mono one that pops up when I list, then look into getting it serviced, and back up and running again. 100wpc, dual mono as I say, big classic Japanese amp from the late 80s. To my mind, these took off where Sansui were at in the 70s and I reckon highly of their amplifiers (having owned a couple).

I'll stick my neck out and say that this amp will do all that PP's much liked Leema will deliver. If it's any help, I tried out an Exposure 3010, a Harman Kardon HK990 and a Leema Pulse when my old Sansui AU717 was being repaired and it was the better of them all. They newer amps were all good, but nothing that £1000+ would improve greatly on. Spend £200 and get your amp fixed and try it out. My guess is you'll like it.

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/a-717-e.html

Thanks. Yes, my Pioneer is the dual mono as you listed. There is a street in HK that many stores selling old HIFI stuff. Most of them using Sansui AU9500 or 8500 for demostration, a very powerful amp and still costed HK$6000, almost enough to buy a new mid-level AV amp.

The only concert for fixing the Pioneer is I would like the 2CH amp have the AV by pass function. Do you think my Creek Evo2 has already brought my Q700 into full play? Any improvement in sound quality if I upgrade to 5350? If only focus on tight bass, Exposure, Harman Kardon, NAD, Atoll, Arcam, Onix, Luxman and Naim, which of them will do the best ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts