Looking for advice with first buy

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

Ive been lurking here for a few weeks reading articles regarding amplifiers and speakers etc. I want to build my first HiFi system, like the one my parents had when I was growing up. The traditional looking HiFi. With bookshelf speakers. Ive been listening to music on a feeble little bluetooth UE boom speaker for years and its just dawned on me its about time I had a proper system.

I listen to anything from hip hop, reggae, R&B, funk & soul to name a few.
My budget would be up to about £2,000.

Some speakers ive been looking at are : Focal Aria 906 .. Klipsch rp 600m .. KEF q350 and also Bower & Watkins 603

Amps : Arcam sa10 .. audiolab 6000a .. Marantz MCR612T1B

Ive got a big collection of albums on CD and would prefer to have bluetooth as I use Spotify too.
I would like to venture into vinyl at some point as I have all my dads old albums so that would be my next buy after these.

I'm a complete newb to all of this, so the things ive listed might not go well with each other at all.

Just looking for any advice, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

matthewpiano

As you're new to this, I'd recommend starting with some demos. Once lockdown restrictions are over choose a retailer, ask them to suggest 2 or 3 combinations and book a demonstration with them. Take a representative selection of the music you love and make sure the volume level is set where you are most likely to listen at home.

From this you will start to get a feel for the sort of sound you like and, with a good dealer, you will be able to discuss any shortcomings you feel the set-up you enjoyed the most may have.

£2k is a good budget and if you take the time to get this right, you should be able to avoid going down the endless rabbit warren of hi-fi box swapping and focus on enjoying your music.

jjbomber

I would look at the Marantz PM7000N for a streaming amplifier with a built in phono stage. That will handle Spotify via the connect app and also your turntable when you add one.
Speakers are like haircuts; everybody has their own personal taste. If you can audition then great. If I had to choose blind I would guess that the Focal would give you the bass you're probably after. However what I like and what you like may well be different.
It's a good shortlist and you're on the right path.

Reactions: DevanteWomack

rainsoothe

Hi. Both the above replies are spot on, great advice. Personally, I'd try to audition Marantz PM7000N + Dali Oberon 5, Quad Vena 2 + Quad S2 speakers, Cambridge Audio CXA61 + Wharfedale Linton (if you can provide them with space), Rega Brio + Triangle BR03 (or the Dalis) + Bluesound Node 2i and finally, if you don't mind sh, a Naim Unitiqute 2 + the Focal Aria 906.

For standmounts, factor in the price of decent stands (Atacama are great quality for the pound).

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
As you're new to this, I'd recommend starting with some demos. Once lockdown restrictions are over choose a retailer, ask them to suggest 2 or 3 combinations and book a demonstration with them. Take a representative selection of the music you love and make sure the volume level is set where you are most likely to listen at home.

From this you will start to get a feel for the sort of sound you like and, with a good dealer, you will be able to discuss any shortcomings you feel the set-up you enjoyed the most may have.

£2k is a good budget and if you take the time to get this right, you should be able to avoid going down the endless rabbit warren of hi-fi box swapping and focus on enjoying your music.
I would look at the Marantz PM7000N for a streaming amplifier with a built in phono stage. That will handle Spotify via the connect app and also your turntable when you add one.
Speakers are like haircuts; everybody has their own personal taste. If you can audition then great. If I had to choose blind I would guess that the Focal would give you the bass you're probably after. However what I like and what you like may well be different.
It's a good shortlist and you're on the right path.
Hi. Both the above replies are spot on, great advice. Personally, I'd try to audition Marantz PM7000N + Dali Oberon 5, Quad Vena 2 + Quad S2 speakers, Cambridge Audio CXA61 + Wharfedale Linton (if you can provide them with space), Rega Brio + Triangle BR03 (or the Dalis) + Bluesound Node 2i and finally, if you don't mind sh, a Naim Unitiqute 2 + the Focal Aria 906.

For standmounts, factor in the price of decent stands (Atacama are great quality for the pound).

Thank you to all of your replies, its really appreciated.

Ill do as you said Matthew and book in to see someone. Im the sort of person who would knee jerk buy something and then regret it. So thanks for the sensible advice.

jjbomber and rainsoothe ill make a note of the items you said and see if I can try them in the flesh.

Ill post back my end results.
Thank you again, hope you're all staying safe in these strange times as well.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

Thank you to all of your replies, its really appreciated.

Ill do as you said Matthew and book in to see someone. Im the sort of person who would knee jerk buy something and then regret it. So thanks for the sensible advice.

jjbomber and rainsoothe ill make a note of the items you said and see if I can try them in the flesh.

Ill post back my end results.
Thank you again, hope you're all staying safe in these strange times as well.
Oh, almost forgot about Revel Concerta 2 M16 and Cyrus One HD and, of course, Naim Nait 5si- also a must audition.

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Oh, almost forgot about Revel Concerta 2 M16 and Cyrus One HD and, of course, Naim Nait 5si- also a must audition.

Awseome,thank you!

I know this is a silly question but I’m going to ask it anyway, do any of the amplifiers mentioned have CD players built in? If they don’t, does it particularly matter what CD player I pair with certain amps? What would you generally go for with these amps?

This new adventure was the first thing on my mind this morning : )

jjbomber

Your Marantz does have a built-in CD player, as does the Marantz Melody X. Cyrus Three Stealth is another option, if you can get past the 'printer' looks. However none of these has a phono input for a turntable. Is it possible to buy a turntable with a built in phono stage or but a separate phono stage, but that is adding to the box count.

Most of the amps have digital inputs, so I would get a CD player with a digital output and connect it that way. Literally anything will do.

What amps to generally go for? Anything that taps your toes and nods your head! This is why you need to audition. We're all different. All cars will get is from A to B but some are more fun that others. Just find what's best for YOU, not us.

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Your Marantz does have a built-in CD player, as does the Marantz Melody X. Cyrus Three Stealth is another option, if you can get past the 'printer' looks. However none of these has a phono input for a turntable. Is it possible to buy a turntable with a built in phono stage or but a separate phono stage, but that is adding to the box count.

Most of the amps have digital inputs, so I would get a CD player with a digital output and connect it that way. Literally anything will do.

What amps to generally go for? Anything that taps your toes and nods your head! This is why you need to audition. We're all different. All cars will get is from A to B but some are more fun that others. Just find what's best for YOU, not us.

Okay,I’ve got you. Thank you.

Itching to try these out!

rainsoothe

Awseome,thank you!

I know this is a silly question but I’m going to ask it anyway, do any of the amplifiers mentioned have CD players built in? If they don’t, does it particularly matter what CD player I pair with certain amps? What would you generally go for with these amps?

This new adventure was the first thing on my mind this morning : )
Apart from the Melody X, as suggested above, no. But most have digital inputs which you could use with a CD transport. Aesthetically, the easiest matchups would be an Audiolab A6000 Play + Audiolab CDT6000 (which is an integrated amp that does streaming + a cd transport), any Marantz amp (the 7000N also does streaming) + Marantz's entry level cdp (the CD5005 - which is very good on it's own), or Cambridge Audio CXA amps + the CXC cd transport. Sond-wise, only you can decide what would work for you - my personal preference leans towards Naim stuff.

matthewpiano

I'm just back to add my favoured brands as others have done. My previous advice still stands, but the suggestions we all make here might give you some ideas for starting points.

My preferences are for Rotel, Rega and Naim electronics, though I do also like Marantz. With this in mind, I'd suggest considering the following as possible combinations to audition:

Marantz CD6007, PM6007 + Dali Oberon 3 or Dali Oberon 5 (the 3s are large standmounts and the 5s are compact floorstanders)
Rotel CD11 Tribute, Rotel A11 Tribute + Fyne Audio F302 (the F302s are floorstanders)
Rega Apollo, Rega Brio + Rega RX1s (the RX1s are standmounts, the RX3 compact floorstanders would push you over budget but are worth considering if you can stretch).

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Apart from the Melody X, as suggested above, no. But most have digital inputs which you could use with a CD transport. Aesthetically, the easiest matchups would be an Audiolab A6000 Play + Audiolab CDT6000 (which is an integrated amp that does streaming + a cd transport), any Marantz amp (the 7000N also does streaming) + Marantz's entry level cdp (the CD5005 - which is very good on it's own), or Cambridge Audio CXA amps + the CXC cd transport. Sond-wise, only you can decide what would work for you - my personal preference leans towards Naim stuff.
I'm just back to add my favoured brands as others have done. My previous advice still stands, but the suggestions we all make here might give you some ideas for starting points.

My preferences are for Rotel, Rega and Naim electronics, though I do also like Marantz. With this in mind, I'd suggest considering the following as possible combinations to audition:

Marantz CD6007, PM6007 + Dali Oberon 3 or Dali Oberon 5 (the 3s are large standmounts and the 5s are compact floorstanders)
Rotel CD11 Tribute, Rotel A11 Tribute + Fyne Audio F302 (the F302s are floorstanders)
Rega Apollo, Rega Brio + Rega RX1s (the RX1s are standmounts, the RX3 compact floorstanders would push you over budget but are worth considering if you can stretch).

Thank you to both of you.

Ive made notes of all the suggestions. Ill do my research this evening. (another evening of being up late but what better way to do it)

:p

Reactions: rainsoothe
D

Deleted member 108165

Just read an article about Ken Ishiwata.
You're not too late to get some of Ken's last signature products :) There are still some Marantz Ruby Amp and CD players available, they may seem expensive but they were nearly £4K each when first released o_O

rainsoothe

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Or likes their presentation. For the record, I don't like Klipsch speakers either, but I don't have a problem with people who do. I wouldn't say someone is stupid or incompetent for preferring Pepsi to Coca Cola.
Everyone’s different and we all prefer certain things. Some people like blondes over brunettes.

I’ve been reading lots of reviewers of the Klipsch and so many people rate them. Until I hear them I could be one of those people that really likes them. As soon as it’s deemed safe to do so I’ll be going for a demo and I can see for myself.

@rainsoothe just a random question and it’s probably an obvious “yes” but, say if I paired the Marantz pm7000n with Revel Concerta 2M16 or Wharfdale evo 4.2 speakers, on paper would that amp pair with those? Is there certain amps that don’t go with certain speakers or does it just literally come down to personal preference when dealing quality amplifiers/speakers etc?

Hope everyone’s weekend is a good one.

rainsoothe

Everyone’s different and we all prefer certain things. Some people like blondes over brunettes.

I’ve been reading lots of reviewers of the Klipsch and so many people rate them. Until I hear them I could be one of those people that really likes them. As soon as it’s deemed safe to do so I’ll be going for a demo and I can see for myself.

@rainsoothe just a random question and it’s probably an obvious “yes” but, say if I paired the Marantz pm7000n with Revel Concerta 2M16 or Wharfdale evo 4.2 speakers, on paper would that amp pair with those? Is there certain amps that don’t go with certain speakers or does it just literally come down to personal preference when dealing quality amplifiers/speakers etc?

Hope everyone’s weekend is a good one.
They're pretty different speakers, the Revels are more revealing and upfront, the Wharfedales are quite the opposite. With Marantz, I'd go with the Revels, but you really need to audition and let your ears decide. They both need a bit of space, btw.

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
They're pretty different speakers, the Revels are more revealing and upfront, the Wharfedales are quite the opposite. With Marantz, I'd go with the Revels, but you really need to audition and let your ears decide. They both need a bit of space, btw.

The living room is approx 12ft by 10ft. That’s where I’m thinking of setting this all up but still not sure.
Option 2 is games room upstairs which is slightly smaller at approx 10ft by 10ft. In your opinion would that be too small?

rainsoothe

The living room is approx 12ft by 10ft. That’s where I’m thinking of setting this all up but still not sure.
Option 2 is games room upstairs which is slightly smaller at approx 10ft by 10ft. In your opinion would that be too small?
Sorry, by "space" I didn't mean that the room has to be huge, but they need some space away from walls to sound their best (and not get boomy) - think 40-50cm upwards. And of course, you might be ok with less, there's other factors that matter, like room acoustics, loudness etc. For the record, I use floorstanders in a 4x4m room that aren't that far away from the wallls, but they are front ported and pretty controlled in the bass. Another great match for Marantz is Dali, and the Oberon 5 should be perfect for the 7000N. But try them if you can, at least the Revels and Dali.

DevanteWomack

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Sorry, by "space" I didn't mean that the room has to be huge, but they need some space away from walls to sound their best (and not get boomy) - think 40-50cm upwards. And of course, you might be ok with less, there's other factors that matter, like room acoustics, loudness etc. For the record, I use floorstanders in a 4x4m room that aren't that far away from the wallls, but they are front ported and pretty controlled in the bass. Another great match for Marantz is Dali, and the Oberon 5 should be perfect for the 7000N. But try them if you can, at least the Revels and Dali.

I do like those Oberon 5s. Seem very classy. My only gripe with them is they’re floorstanders and if I was to put them upstairs wouldn’t they shake the house a little too much? I cannot express enough how much I’m looking forward to trying all this kit out. Hopefully soon I can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts