Looking for a tuner

The Denon is great but since I've purchased the Tucana, it's showing deficiencies compared to Freeview via TV. Don't mind if it is just FM or FM/DAB or some other option... not a streaming device.

The only proviso is it can't be signal hungry. Don't mind s/hand or ex-dem.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
https://www.hifix.co.uk/onkyo-t4030-dab-dab-fm-tuner

It has the all important FM mono mode that is as rare as hen’s teeth nowadays. (Great for ‘marginal’ FM signals.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Was also thinking about the Arcam T32 but don't know what it's like for picking up weak signals.

Quote from the 2009 TechRadar review ...

“That last point requires some slight clarification, for this is after all not a 'DX' (distant reception) model and needs a reasonable amount of signal to work properly ...”

The Arcam is (was) a £650 tuner and would have been designed based on the assumption of a good quality rooftop aerial being used.

I would suggest you borrow a T32 before buying one ‘blind’.

Hi pp, I don’t often lurk here so have only just seen this.

I’m getting to grips with the very good 320kps streams on my Sneaky, and have moved my mark 2 Hitachi out of the way. It’s getting on a bit, and I bought it in case my mark 1 expired, but I slightly prefer the sound from the earlier model. It doesn’t need a very strong signal as it’s so sensitive. You’d be welcome to try it/borrow it/ have it, if it’s any use to you. (An internal battery needs replacement as it doesn’t remember presets if you switch it off. It’s predecessor did same with a capacitor which still works perfectly,)

I could drop it over when I next visit my Dad in Ripley. I shan’t be the least offended if you’re not interested!

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/radio-tuners/79-tests/122-vhf-intro.html

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/FT-5500MKIIreview.pdf

Thanks nopiano. I know Hitachi products well - used to own their tape deck (D230) back in the late 70s. Very good as I kept it a few years.

However, I've got my vintage Marantz from1976 in the attic and the Denon from the early 2000s. I'm sure your Hitachi has better SQ but need something a bit newer.

One of the Creek tuners or the Arcam mentioned above. If neither are any good I may just opt for a more up to date source for FM reception.

Thanks once again, nopiano.

plastic penguin said:
Thanks nopiano. I know Hitachi products well - used to own their tape deck (D230) back in the late 70s. Very good as I kept it a few years.

However, I've got my vintage Marantz from1976 in the attic and the Denon from the early 2000s. I'm sure your Hitachi has better SQ but need something a bit newer.

One of the Creek tuners or the Arcam mentioned above. If neither are any good I may just opt for a more up to date source for FM reception.

Thanks once again, nopiano.
No problem, pp. I hope you find something you like! I’d have thought a Denon from that era would be pretty good, so you may simply be up against the limits of the FM signal. At least you probably get a good signal from Wrotham in your area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts