Looking for a Subwoofer!

Ace High

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

i have finally got the go ahead to add a Sub to my system and have been looking at a few models with a budget of around £500.

BK XXLS-400

Dali E12 F

KLIPSCH R-112SW

I have heard a Dali E9 F which sounded good. But no where around here to demo kit. I know the Bk Subs get good praise but am slightly put of by no port and cone materials. These might be cosmetic issues and not have to much effect. I mostly use for TV and Films but do like to listen to Music from time to time.

Any one had experience with any of these??

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The BK XXLS400 is a great compromise, when I wanted a sub for both music and movies (50/50), I asked BK and they advised the XXLS400. In terms of price point, it was ideal for my set up - Onkyo TX-NR609 and the MA Bronze range speakers,

Many forum members use them for music and are very happy with them. I have one and I've been happy with it for both, although I use it less these days for music because my floorstanders produce enough bass for my liking.

If it's just occasionally for music, I would go for the ported Monolith which will give you more for movies, but the XXLS400 still rumbles and shakes my room more than enough for me.

scene

I'd definitely agree that the BK XXLS400 is a good compromise between movie oomph and musicality - and I can say it fits in well my MA setup - Silver 8i fronts, RS-LCR centre & RXFX rears - slightly, but not so different to yours. If your sub is mainly for movies - and given that you've got full size floorstanders like the RX6s for the front pair, which can do music all by themselves with plenty of bass chops - and you really want a ported sub, you might want to consider a BK Monolith, which is a bit of beast and in your price range. I was torn between the XXLS400 and the Monolith, but ended up with the former, partly as my partner said "How BIG!!!" about the monolith...

if you're worried about aesthetics, both the BKs are available in down firing versions, I've got the XXLS400-DF, and this does make the sub look like a piece of furniture, and protects it from small people...

Taj27

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
As per above - great sub, love mine. Blasts my previous Monitor Audio subs out of the water so to speak. More than enough grumble and punch for many systems. Monolith not heard but that must be mentally loud/powerful as i find my BK sub great. Even when my MA speakers are at full whack and the sub is doing the bass, theres just plenty there.

Ace High

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice,

The Monolith is not an option as someone else pointed out my wife had the same coment about size!! That's why I have looked at the other two subs due to being ported options.

I have booked a Demo of the Dali E12F at Richer Sounds on Thursday to compare against the Dali E9F but hard to compare against the BK option as not able to demo but with such a fan base I dont want to rule it out so might have to take a leap of faith.

My room is 3 mtrs wide by about 6mts Long.

It is good to see some have a simular setup and the XXLS 400 matches them well. I know people say it is really good for Music but does it go low enough to give that good sofa shakeing bass? Or is this where the compramise is?

Many Thanks for the reply's and help so far....

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Not that I've compared to any other sub in terms of a demo, but my XXLS400 DF certainly does shake my whole room at times. Yes of course a 'better specced' sub might go lower and be more powerful but you will have to pay for that.

At the end of the day, look carefully at the specification sheet for each sub, see which goes lower, which has the bigger amplifier, size of woofer, the weight of the unit, and it's functions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts