Looking for a stereo amplifier

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey!

I am looking for a stereo amplifier for my B&W 685 S2's. Hopefully with USB, as I will be connecting it to my pc. It also should have a sub out as I have a SVS PB-2000. I listen to pretty much all genres except rock, very little rock. I do listen to a lot of acoustic calm music though. Mostly, acoustic, instrumental and EDM is what I listen to. My budget is about 6000NOK, but I can buy used and the budget is a bit pushable. I don't want anything that's over the top, I would just want whats needed to really get my speakers singing, as I right now use them with a temporary Denon AVR-X500. Thank you for all responses!

-Nissen1502

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at the Arcam and Marantz amps. Bothe are very good, although I would always go Arcam personally as I think they are more refined.

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The only one that goes under my budget is the Marantz PM6005. It only has 2x45w, is that enough for the B&W's which supposedly should have atleast 100w?

Edit: Also, would the NAD C375BEE be good? I can get it used for 60% off.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site

your in Norway? Just visit your own Abrahamsenaudio.no and buy a V20UP 7000NOK don't bother with the non UP

They may not have a USB but they sound awesome. You have some beautiful looking kit in Norway Sweden.

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I do live in Norway. Why wouldn't I bother with the non UP? I really love the products from scandinavia, looks wise though. Electrocompaniet for example. They just look awesome! But what's the main differences in sound from non UP and UP?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The UP is magical, fast, great timing with real control over base it has double capacitance 100,000uF more class A operation and a better display for 1600NOK or £150! It's so much better. You can however buy the v2.0 in Norway and have it upgraded by them. And yes I was looking for reviews in Fiedelity Magazine, the thing that struck me was all the stunning looking Scandinavia products! Seriously your in Norway and you have a beautifuly built bargin on your doorstep.

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Pleasure you might find a used one in Norway you really won't be disappointed.

I have read some threads on forums about some stuff which makes me wonder, does amps make a difference? Because on every blind test it doesn't according to a huge post on headfi forums.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nissen1502 said:
iQ Speakers said:

I have read some threads on forums about some stuff which makes me wonder, does amps make a difference? Because on every blind test it doesn't according to a huge post on headfi forums.

Ah yes, the ol'e 'everything sounds the same if all else is equal ... etc ... etc'.

Problem is, not everything is equal under normal circumstances, least of all the speakers, room, the amplifier design itself and so on and on and on.

TrevC &Co will be along soon so you will no doubt get the 'scientific' (theorist) answer ... (no insult intended) :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
nissen1502 said:
iQ Speakers said:

I would of agreed with you in some way 8 weeks ago. My £2500 Sugden A21SE made a subtle difference. The Abrahamsen V2.0UP well if you could not hear the difference, energy power scale bonce soundstage vibrancy and shear musicality you may as well pack up and go home it's an amazing thing seriously just believe me and Electro and go and get one. The V2.0 it's OK nothing more.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The Abrahamsen V2.0UP well if you could not hear the difference, energy power scale bonce soundstage vibrancy and shear musicality you may as well pack up and go home ...

So, is there anything it does well ... ? :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
iQ Speakers said:
Well! It only looks we'll tacky! I actually really like the look and I don't like tacky! Funny. Drummerman I just wish every body could listen to this I still can't believe it myself.

The Abrahamsen V2.0UP well if you could not hear the difference, energy power scale bonce soundstage vibrancy and shear musicality you may as well pack up and go home ...

edit well I cocked that up! I have had a bottle of red at lunch time!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
drummerman said:
iQ Speakers said:
Well! It only looks we'll tacky! I actually really like the look and I don't like tacky! Funny. Drummerman I just wish every body could listen to this I still can't believe it myself.

edit well I cocked that up! I have had a bottle of red at lunch time!

No worries :)

It reads like very good value for money and would concur the OP looks at the home market first and foremost.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
For B&W speakers go for a Rotel amp. There are a variety, some of which have digital inputs too. Rotel and B&W have good synergy generally.

I would avoid Marantz or Arcam with B&W, too warm sounding.

All my opinion based on bits I have heard here and there!

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the late response.

Thing is, I went to listen to my friends Dali Helicon 800 mk2's, and I literally think my system sounds better. That's when I got super skeptical to all this just being a really sick placebo scam. Anyways, I just thought overall that my system sounded a lot better, especially the bass because I have a sub, which sounds lovely (SVS PB-2000). But I'll try and contact Abrahamsen and ask them if it's possible to get a home demo. Is there any way to prove that amps make a difference? Cause blindtests usually prove that it doesnt.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nissen1502 said:

Thing is, I went to listen to my friends Dali Helicon 800 mk2's, and I literally think my system sounds better. That's when I got super skeptical to all this just being a really sick placebo scam. Anyways, I just thought overall that my system sounded a lot better, especially the bass because I have a sub, which sounds lovely (SVS PB-2000). But I'll try and contact Abrahamsen and ask them if it's possible to get a home demo. Is there any way to prove that amps make a difference? Cause blindtests usually prove that it doesnt.

Err, no they don't.

I have never heard anyone who is serious about hi-fi say that.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
nissen1502 said:

You asked we helped, we have all been where you are. Just belive buy an Abrahamsen, there must be 2nd hand ones in Norway, and belive me you will here a differance.

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't believe you guys. I'm just saying I haven't experienced it first hand, so I'm looking forward to it. I've looked around for a used Abrahamsen, but it's kinda hard to find. Usually means it's a good product so people won't sell it. I've contacted Abrahamsen, just waiting for a response, I'll keep you updated once I've bought it and tell you guys what I think after that :)

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
A little update.

I've decided not to buy a stereo amplifier because it seems like marketing ******** and placebo. I am borrowing my friends Hegel H200 and it sounds almost exactly the same as my Denon AVR-X500. It doesn't even have significant volume difference. With the Hegel costing 10x more I expected to actually hear a difference without sitting for hours barely hearing some stuff that I'm not sure is different or not compared to my Denon.

So after reading what might be wrong, I've found multiple blind tests which all prove that it makes no significant difference, so I've decided to go for a surround receiver with good room correction and probably upgrade to 5.1 sometime, but as for now, only stereo. Could you guys recommend a good room correction? I'm not interested in hearing "It sounds better" because in my experience, it doesn't. Speakers sound different. As for DACs, I don't know if they sound different as I haven't got anything to compare my Schiit Modi too, or the inbuilt DAC in my Denon. But so far they all sound pretty much the same. The only reason I would have a Hegel H200 over a Denon AVR-X500 is the bragging rights. And it looks nice.

Edit: And iQ speakers. I'm stupid for not checking this, but it seems your company sell Abrahamsen gear, so yeah, marketing. This is a really sad moment for me, because I actually really love music and care a lot about how it sounds. I guess I'll just stick to buying good speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nissen1502 said:
A little update.

I've decided not to buy a stereo amplifier because it seems like marketing ******** and placebo. I am borrowing my friends Hegel H200 and it sounds almost exactly the same as my Denon AVR-X500. It doesn't even have significant volume difference. With the Hegel costing 10x more I expected to actually hear a difference without sitting for hours barely hearing some stuff that I'm not sure is different or not compared to my Denon.

So after reading what might be wrong, I've found multiple blind tests which all prove that it makes no significant difference, so I've decided to go for a surround receiver with good room correction and probably upgrade to 5.1 sometime, but as for now, only stereo. Could you guys recommend a good room correction? I'm not interested in hearing "It sounds better" because in my experience, it doesn't. Speakers sound different. As for DACs, I don't know if they sound different as I haven't got anything to compare my Schiit Modi too, or the inbuilt DAC in my Denon. But so far they all sound pretty much the same. The only reason I would have a Hegel H200 over a Denon AVR-X500 is the bragging rights. And it looks nice.

Edit: And iQ speakers. I'm stupid for not checking this, but it seems your company sell Abrahamsen gear, so yeah, marketing. This is a really sad moment for me, because I actually really love music and care a lot about how it sounds. I guess I'll just stick to buying good speakers.

IME. An amp of the quality of the Hegel should be making a pronounced improvement. If it isn't (and you should trust what you are hearing), there is something else going on.

- That could be the speakers....are they Blu-Taked to quality filled stands / correctly positioned and stable / spiked into a solid floor (not a suspended wooden one)?

- Is there a quality source with lossless resolution?

- Are you using decent, no-nonsense copper cables, with the amp plugged directly into the wall?

- It could be the room....can you describe it and how the speakers are positioned.

- It is possible that you need speakers of the quality of the amp, to really hear the improvement you are striving for.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
nissen1502 said:
A little update.

IME. An amp of the quality of the Hegel should be making a pronounced improvement. If it isn't (and you should trust what you are hearing), there is something else going on.

- That could be the speakers....are they Blu-Taked to quality filled stands / correctly positioned and stable / spiked into a solid floor (not a suspended wooden one)?

- Is there a quality source with lossless resolution?

- Are you using decent, no-nonsense copper cables, with the amp plugged directly into the wall?

- It could be the room....can you describe it and how the speakers are positioned.

- It is possible that you need speakers of the quality of the amp, to really hear the improvement you are striving for.

+1

Absolutely right.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
nissen1502 said:

Err, no they don't.

I have never heard anyone who is serious about hi-fi say that.

+1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts