Question Looking for a replacement to my Akai MX-950

Aug 15, 2024
Visit site
Hi friends,

I have a 32 years old Akai MX-950 hifi system that I want to replace by a modern device.

My Akai MX-950 system has been "modernized" by adding a LDAC bluetooth accessory, and to be honest after testing tens of modern hi-fi systems, I have not been able to find even one that provides a better sound quality.

I'm absolutely in love with the crystal clear sound from the Akai, the equaliser and sound effects, and the overall well balanced output of frequencies, and would like to find a system with:
1) same or superior sound quality and configurations/options.
2) LDAC or aptX bluetooth support

Does anybody have recommendations I could test?

Much appreciated in advance, and have a great day!

Hi friends,

I have a 32 years old Akai MX-950 hifi system that I want to replace by a modern device.

My Akai MX-950 system has been "modernized" by adding a LDAC bluetooth accessory, and to be honest after testing tens of modern hi-fi systems, I have not been able to find even one that provides a better sound quality.

I'm absolutely in love with the crystal clear sound from the Akai, the equaliser and sound effects, and the overall well balanced output of frequencies, and would like to find a system with:

Welcome to the forum.
As you have noted modern doesn't always mean better.
If you have listened to a few there is no way anyone on this forum that can tell you what will sound good to you, I feel.
Did you have a budget in mind?

Reactions: salmeronjimenez
Aug 15, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
As you have noted modern doesn't always mean better.
If you have listened to a few there is no way anyone on this forum that can tell you what will sound good to you, I feel.
Did you have a budget in mind?
Thanks for your reply.

It's true sound taste is different for each person, that's why I tried to find someone that experienced the old Akai's from the 90's. I guess some other high-end systems from the 90's like Technics, Sony and similar were also performing superb.

Budget would be max 2000 Eur. I can stretch to 3000 Eur if the system is so great, I should be able to explain the investment at home :)

daytona600

you can add matching CD player / Streamer / Headphones etc if required

abacus

Modern equipment will usually sound more accurate and realistic, however if you are used to the sound of your Akai, then they may not sound better to you, even though in reality they are.
Ask the question deeply, do you really need to change what you are already happy with?
If the answer is yes, then go and listen to some live music (So you know what it really sounds like), then go to a dealer to try some out within your price range. (You will also need to decide whether you want separates or an all in one)

Bill

Aug 15, 2024
Visit site
you can add matching CD player / Streamer / Headphones etc if required

thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will look into this option

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi friends,

I respect that you've done a lot of testing, and are still in love, which is wonderful and enviable. I empathize because I was in love with a 1985 Cyrus One-based system for which I could not find a worthy successor. I too adapted it with a bluetooth device, which gave me a few years to keep looking. Eventually, it was a Rotel unit that convinced me, though the Cyrus unit is still playing a loved support role.

Accordingly, I humbly submit for your consideration this pretender:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roDqyayA8Go&t=232s

Aug 15, 2024
Visit site
I respect that you've done a lot of testing, and are still in love, which is wonderful and enviable. I empathize because I was in love with a 1985 Cyrus One-based system for which I could not find a worthy successor. I too adapted it with a bluetooth device, which gave me a few years to keep looking. Eventually, it was a Rotel unit that convinced me, though the Cyrus unit is still playing a loved support role.

Accordingly, I humbly submit for your consideration this pretender:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roDqyayA8Go&t=232s
Hi Rodolfo,

I really appreciate your sweet reply, I now do not feel alone! :)

I read somewhere our brain gets used to a music system and generates dopamine making us addict to the device, I was not aware of that.. but might be true and the reason it is taking a bit more time for me to find a successor.

I think what I like about my Akai is actually the combination of a great sound and the flexibility of the equalizer to be honest, and while it is a stack system everything is controller with one remote controller, which is not the case in many of the competitors back then.

I never heard about Rotel but at least specs and design look awesome. I will spend some time researching and testing in a shop, and will let you know if I went ahead with a unit.

Thanks a lot, and have a good day.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Pleasure...

BTW, I have a humbler Rotel A12 which is all I need. Rotel has been a highly respected brand for decades. You'll probably find plenty of reviews on their units over the years here at WHF and at other excellent publications.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts