Loewe set to launch its own OLED display production line in Germany!

R2D2

Apr 17, 2024
Visit site
I suppose it would depend how good they were. I remember when Loewe made plasmas they were very good but didn’t review well due to their cost. It would be a high end product but how much better OLED can get remains to be seen. It would also be nice to see more reviews from these Loewe’s OLED TVs when they make them because in the past we haven’t seen many reviews from Loewe products.

Who knows they may be as good as Pioneer plasmas were but with OLED technology now there’s a thought, but like I said it depends how good they are.

Last edited:

R2D2

Apr 17, 2024
Visit site
People pay a premium for Sony products eg the Sony QD-OLED TVs and they’re only as good as Samsung QD-OLED TVs which sell much cheaper near the launch of next years range.

My other concern is that screen tech longevity isn't something that can be taken for granted, so buying from a company just starting making their own is an additional unknown. Personally, I wouldn't pay more for something that is unlikely to be better but which might (emphasis on 'might') not last as long.

podknocker

It's nice to see another company get into panel technology and I hope they release something spectacular. Sony et al do have years of technical knowledge behind them, so it might be tricky competing with the long established brands.

I do remember popping into my favourite HIFI shop between 1991 and 1995 I think and the Loewe CRTs were incredibly good. The images were stunning, due to the quality and purity of the chemicals used for the phosphors. They were twice the price of Sony and Toshiba CRTs however.

Germany is well known for it's exacting production standards and I doubt they would dare sell anything not meeting their usual high standards and just look how many BMWs and Audis are sold these days.

The question I always ask is why there is no UK company dipping their toes into this sector? Have we thrown in the towel with everything the world wants to buy?

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Friesiansam

It's nice to see another company get into panel technology and I hope they release something spectacular. Sony et al do have years of technical knowledge behind them, so it might be tricky competing with the long established brands.

I do remember popping into my favourite HIFI shop between 1991 and 1995 I think and the Loewe CRTs were incredibly good. The images were stunning, due to the quality and purity of the chemicals used for the phosphors. They were twice the price of Sony and Toshiba CRTs however.

Germany is well known for it's exacting production standards and I doubt they would dare sell anything not meeting their usual high standards and just look how many BMWs and Audis are sold these days.
Based on the article, they are buying all the OLED panel components ready-made from LG, the only company manufacturing OLED panels for TVs, then just assembling them with a tweak or two to make the whole a little better. "Engineered & Made in Germany", will only be partially true.

Reactions: DougK1

podknocker

Based on the article, they are buying all the OLED panel components ready-made from LG, the only company manufacturing OLED panels for TVs, then just assembling them with a tweak or two to make the whole a little better. "Engineered & Made in Germany", will only be partially true.
I see. Sony do well with the LG panels, so Loewe should also be able to integrate the panels into their own products. Loewe have been around a century and must have a decent sized R&D budget.

R2D2

Apr 17, 2024
Visit site
I see. Sony do well with the LG panels, so Loewe should also be able to integrate the panels into their own products. Loewe have been around a century and must have a decent sized R&D budget.
With the Sony comparison for TVs you can buy the Sony 65A95L for £3200 currently while the Samsung 65S90C OLED is currently £1200 at John Lewis that’s nearly 3 times as much for the Sony which is essentially the same TV in my view from my comparisons as the Sony OLED. But will people have the confidence in Loewe products. I would say the Loewe previous OLED TVs were a flop imho.

With the Sony comparison for TVs you can buy the Sony 65A95L for £3200 currently while the Samsung 65S90C OLED is currently £1200 at John Lewis that’s nearly 3 times as much for the Sony which is essentially the same TV in my view from my comparisons as the Sony OLED. But will people have the confidence in Loewe products. I would say the Loewe previous OLED TVs were a flop imho.
They carry a big reputation. It's a 101-year old company and also presented the world's first fully electronic television to the public in 1931. It's a luxury brand and prices are similar to B&O. What is guaranteed is the quality of every single component that goes into production of the TV will be far higher than the competition.

Last edited:
Loewe revealed that it is buying 'open-cell' WOLED panels from LG Display - and this is the first production line in Europe that can work with such panels (as opposed to complete OLED modules used in all other EU-based lines). Working with open-cell panels enables Loewe to have more control over the process and the design of its premium TVs. If I'm not mistaken, Sony buys ready OLED panels from LG.

Loewe TVs are renowned for their longetivity. Their TVs can last 20+ years......they've given an example in this article where the TV has lasted 26 years (and only 1 repair after 20 years):

podknocker

I'm not as clued up on TV tech as I used to be, not having a TV for more than 4 years and it's highly unlikely I will buy a new TV until I know the tech is settled and will be reliable enough to last a while. I would love to know how much more control Loewe have over Sony with these LG panels. Sony must just integrate them into their sets and have chips driving them. What extra features and quality can Loewe add their panels, which is currently inaccessible to Sony buying ready made panels?

I'm not as clued up on TV tech as I used to be, not having a TV for more than 4 years and it's highly unlikely I will buy a new TV until I know the tech is settled and will be reliable enough to last a while. I would love to know how much more control Loewe have over Sony with these LG panels. Sony must just integrate them into their sets and have chips driving them. What extra features and quality can Loewe add their panels, which is currently inaccessible to Sony buying ready made panels?
We’ll have to wait for the new generation models and see. TV tech will never settle.

daytona600

They carry a big reputation. It's a 101-year old company and also presented the world's first fully electronic television to the public in 1931. It's a luxury brand and prices are similar to B&O. What is guaranteed is the quality of every single component that goes into production of the TV will be far higher than the competition.

John Logie Baird demonstrated the world's first live working television system on 26 January 1926.
Scots invented a lot of stuff TV , Motown , Mushy Peas & Paper Hats

Last edited:
John Logie Baird demonstrated the world's first live working television system on 26 January 1926.
Scots invented a lot of stuff TV , Motown , Mushy Peas & Paper Hats
That was a mechanical television. Loewe worked together with John Logie Baird. In 1931, Manfred von Ardenne presented the world's first fully electronic television to the public on the Loewe stand at the 8th Berlin Radio Show.

Friesiansam

Loewe revealed that it is buying 'open-cell' WOLED panels from LG Display - and this is the first production line in Europe that can work with such panels (as opposed to complete OLED modules used in all other EU-based lines). Working with open-cell panels enables Loewe to have more control over the process and the design of its premium TVs.
If you can know that, it doesn't say much for WHF staff and their research.

Reactions: nopiano
If you can know that, it doesn't say much for WHF staff and their research.
WHF did allude to this, although not in explicit terms:

"Unsurprisingly, Loewe isn't manufacturing OLED panels entirely from scratch, but it is taking the apparently unique approach of buying the OLED glass and 'open cell components' from an unnamed Korean OLED display vendor (no points for guessing who it might be). Most brands, we're told, buy the full OLED assembly (usually from the same vendor, one presumes)."

I remember Loewe and B&O tellies from the CRT days when they were the only brands to fit proper speakers, and hence they sounded massively better than the typical buzzy boxes.

They have a big premium on pricing, and now that sound bars or routing via a stereo or AV system is so easy, the attraction isn’t there for me. But I daresay if I had a designer home and shed loads of money I might force myself!

Last edited:

podknocker

I remember Loewe and B&O tellies from the CRT days when they were the only brands to for proper speakers, and hence they sounded massively better than the typical buzzy boxes.

They have a big premium on pricing, and now that sound bars or routing via a stereo or AV system is so easy, the attraction isn’t there for me. But I daresay if I had a designer home and shed loads of money I might force myself!
Sony use their panels as the speakers, so voice placement is accurate in particular. I would like see more of this, to avoid larger cabinets etc. Adding a sub to a TV is OK, but I don't like soundbars and my Canton DM75 is an emergency speaker, only used as a plinth for my system at the moment.

Reactions: DougK1 and nopiano

TRENDING THREADS