Listened to Naim DAC V-1 + Naim NAP 100

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Listened to Naim DAC V-1 + Naim NAP 100:

Lots of energy in the presentation, did not try to sound analouge.

Good mid-band, better than more expensive Naims.

Still, what specifically is it in the design which motivates the price?

Anyone else which have done an au(dio)dition?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
Listened to Naim DAC V-1 + Naim NAP 100:

Lots of energy in the presentation, did not try to sound analouge.

Good mid-band, better than more expensive Naims.

Still, what specifically is it in the design which motivates the price?

Anyone else which have done an au(dio)dition?

I haven't heard them. The NAP100 is priced a bit below the Nait 5i. I assume it is basically the power amp section of the Nait 5i with perhaps some improvements.

As for the DAC-V1: I am truly puzzled that Naim seems to have no interest in producing a reasonable priced streamer / DAC. They don't have a single one priced like a 5i series component, but they now have a pile of DACS and Streamers in overlapping price ranges.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Does the new DAC offer streaming?

I was under the impression it doesn't - it's just a DAC with a built-in preamp section that should connect to the matching, half-sized power amp. So I think it's targeted at computer-based desktop systems perhaps?

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had a listen to it last weekend at a friends (London UK) I was comparing the NAP100 to the internal amp of my unitiQute as well as a pair of Musical Fidelity X A50 mono blocks. We used DSD files played on a macbookpro with audirvana and the Chord company chordette DSD DAC. We used my KEF R100s as his B&W 802Ds where not set up. I should get another chance to listen to it this week, before posting any realy impressions.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Does the new DAC offer streaming? I was under the impression it doesn't - it's just a DAC with a built-in preamp section that should connect to the matching, half-sized power amp. So I think it's targeted at computer-based desktop systems perhaps?

No it does not offer streaming. It's meant to be a desktop system (or I guess paired with a cheap streamer like a Squeezebox).

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Ajani said:
Singslinger said:
Does the new DAC offer streaming? I was under the impression it doesn't - it's just a DAC with a built-in preamp section that should connect to the matching, half-sized power amp. So I think it's targeted at computer-based desktop systems perhaps?

No it does not offer streaming. It's meant to be a desktop system (or I guess paired with a cheap streamer like a Squeezebox).

The proposition is targeted towards computer buffs. Included in the package is a headphone amp. Also possible to be used as a preamp.

As mentioned earlier, Naim now have a lot of overlapping stuff in the same price segment. What is the estimated second hand price for this combo?

http://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/dac-v1_asynchronous-usb_mwp_jan13_0.pdf

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to connect an old vinyl preamp to the V-1?

Some price explanation:

http://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/naim_dac_august_2009.pdf

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, if your questioning the price of Naim, forget it. They are high end and therefore their priced appropriately. As it is a new prduct, unlikely to appear in the second hand market for 2/3 years. Its mostly designed to connect a laptop, pc etc to. Although their streamer offerrings are very confusing, i think they may have about 10 products that can stream

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
HiFi Choice have the naim combo on the front page, new issue. Glowing review, finished with noticing that only digital source is viable. The reviewer was content, but I can not connect the vinyl player, then. :read:

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Read the review in HFC ,didn't say if it was better than current Naim dac but is a large amount cheaper and will take usb. They gave the dac 5 stars (recommended) for what it's wort h and said it sounded like a Naim product so still retaining that aspect which to my view is a good thing.
The size is also good for me as it will sit nicely next to my NAS ripper.

I hope to be demoing in the next couple of weeks, I am demoing the Exposure dac tomorrow along with audiolab and a couple of MF dac's.

Then hope to listen to the better of those with the Naim V1dac , NAD M51 and the naim streamers but I am mainly wanting just a dac not a streamer.

Will have a look at the Naim forum but views there tend to be a little biased.

Would be intrigued by anyone else who may have heard it and their views.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
NHL said:
Audiolab M-DAC vs V-1? Have never listened to M-DAC.

Clearly the Naim DAC V-1 is aiming to capture some of the market share of the Audiolab M-DAC: a small-format, arguably audiophile asynchronous DAC with pre-amp, digital-only inputs etc. Comparison of the two will be very interesting.

Concertino

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Dommer said:
I've had a listen to it last weekend at a friends (London UK) I was comparing the NAP100 to the internal amp of my unitiQute as well as a pair of Musical Fidelity X A50 mono blocks. We used DSD files played on a macbookpro with audirvana and the Chord company chordette DSD DAC. We used my KEF R100s as his B&W 802Ds where not set up. I should get another chance to listen to it this week, before posting any realy impressions.

Hi, ready to share :quest:

Got the new v.UQ myself.

I believe the new DAC/Amp combo is Naim going backwards;removing all the good functionallity and simplicity from the UQ, adding another box, must now buy a decent interconnect, double the price.. come on!

Please Dommer, tell me that the UQ is as good as the new combo :pray:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts