list of amps with tone control operation from handset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Now listening Slow Summits and it sounds the best on ' source direct' but been listening to some old Barry White before and was horrible with ' source direct' and great with tone controls employed.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
Covenanter said:
lpv said:
I've got marantz PM6004 now and like it. However, the BIG drawback of its design is lack of tone control operation from handset. I do listen Spotify quite heavy as well as my own itunes library and quite often mix of music from different decades and styles... and that means for me in practical terms that I have to get up from my sofa to manipulate with bass.. Imagine you have to get up to change channel on your tely..

All sorts of McIntosh, Accuphase, Luxman, Marantz have tone controls but seems non of them allow user operate this function from remote control..

The only ones I know are: Rotel RA-11, RA-12.. any other ?

I've asked in another thread regarding AVI ADM 9's if you can control subwoofer from handset, but sadly no... strange times

Leave it on direct input and forget the tone controls. Why distort the signal?

Chris

PS I have a PM6004 and have never touched the tone controls!

what speakers you have, if I may ask?

KEF Q500s

Chris

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
lpv said:
Covenanter said:
lpv said:
I've got marantz PM6004 now and like it. However, the BIG drawback of its design is lack of tone control operation from handset. I do listen Spotify quite heavy as well as my own itunes library and quite often mix of music from different decades and styles... and that means for me in practical terms that I have to get up from my sofa to manipulate with bass.. Imagine you have to get up to change channel on your tely..

All sorts of McIntosh, Accuphase, Luxman, Marantz have tone controls but seems non of them allow user operate this function from remote control..

I've asked in another thread regarding AVI ADM 9's if you can control subwoofer from handset, but sadly no... strange times

Chris

KEF Q500s

Chris

ok Chris. Q500 are not much different than Q300.. and all sort of music you put thru your stereo sounds good to you without adjustments?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A big contributing factor here is personal tate. If lpv simply likes a bass-heavy sound, then he's probably not going to get it without some artificial reinforcement low-down, unless he has huge speakers and an equally-huge room where the LF soundwaves can develop and run free with gay abandon. And even that won't help when listening on headphones. My only suprise is he finds the bass control helpful. I've had loads of amps with bass controls and they seem to fall into two categories: those with bass controls which barely do anything (like some NADs I've heard) and Jap amps with bass controls which just add mud and gunge at the 100-120Hz mark, rather than adding decent weight lower down.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
A big contributing factor here is personal tate. If lpv simply likes a bass-heavy sound, then he's probably not going to get it without some artificial reinforcement low-down, unless he has huge speakers and an equally-huge room where the LF soundwaves can develop and run free with gay abandon. And even that won't help when listening on headphones. My only suprise is he finds the bass control helpful. I've had loads of amps with bass controls and they seem to fall into two categories: those with bass controls which barely do anything (like some NADs I've heard) and Jap amps with bass controls which just add mud and gunge at the 100-120Hz mark, rather than adding decent weight lower down.

I was thinking to replace speakers for some floorstanders like Neat Motive 2... i think the amp is fine but I need more low frequencies.. what do you guys think of pair of Neats with Marantz?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't know but they won't fix your headphones. Ideally, you're really back to needing an amp with remote-controlled bass and treble controls.

With iTunes, have you thought of setting-up custom EQ's for each album, artist or genre, whichever suits you best? That way the EQ will be consistent without you needing to worry about adjusting it remotely whenever you play eg Barry White.. Sadly that doesn't help you with Spotify.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Don't know but they won't fix your headphones. Ideally, you're really back to needing an amp with remote-controlled bass and treble controls.

With iTunes, have you thought of setting-up custom EQ's for each album, artist or genre, whichever suits you best? That way the EQ will be consistent without you needing to worry about adjusting it remotely whenever you play eg Barry White.. Sadly that doesn't help you with Spotify.

True. Especially that I'm happy with amp/ speakers I've got but after some adjustments to each cd. I know i can do it on iTunes but Spotify is what I'm listening the most.

... so back to my original question: list of amps/ preamps with tone control operation in handset, please.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
npoguy said:
My bad on that...I just looked down at the remote when I saw the thread. As you can tell, I've never used it! :doh:

hmmm... :)

just found McIntosh preamp C2500 with what I need for £7500 :wall: :cheer:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Esoteric RZ-1

But, like most tone controls, it is too broad so not even really much use for dealing with the bass bump I have at certain frequencies in my living room, so I leave bass and treble flat all the time anyway.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
Covenanter said:
lpv said:
Covenanter said:
lpv said:

Chris

KEF Q500s

Chris

ok Chris. Q500 are not much different than Q300.. and all sort of music you put thru your stereo sounds good to you without adjustments?

It's mainly classical but yes it all sounds great. I've never actually touched the tone controls (and the Source Direct button is engaged anyway). There are some non-classical recordings where I could perhaps "improve" the sound quality but not enough of them to make me do anything about it.

Chris

PS Of course I might have defective hearing!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ID - thanks for Esoteric :)

So we've got so far:

- Rotel RA-11, RA-12

- Esoteric RZ1

- Marantz CR 502, 503, 603 and probably upcoming Melody Music

- McIntosh C2500

TRENDING THREADS