Lip synch issues.................Sky HD

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Watched the rather trying Quantum of Solace last night on Sky HD and the lip synching seemed a mile out, already have a 40ms delay which suits SD and BBC HD and some(???) Sky HD broadcasts.

I have Sky HD to the tv via HDMI and optical out to the amp...................anyone else had this problem, would it be a Sky broadcast issue or.........?

Oh, belated New Year greetings to all

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I have sync issues mainly (i think entirely, so far) with recorded progs, HD channels or not, i think. I also get the odd "jump" like the more minor ones you get on a dvd/bluray. Except for one programme that was so jumpy as to be unwatchable. Sometimes i put something on and it takes time before i even get sound. I've even had one instance just yesterday of being told im not allowed to purchase a prog. Thing is, i didnt need to nor did i ask to. i had recorded it and was trying to play it!

A

Anonymous

And I thought it was just me...obvioulsy not.

One thing I have found with my TV, in sync's better if I turn off Philips' HD natural motion (even when set to minimum).

Try turning all the motion processing off, IF you have them on.

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I run my Sky+HD hdmi via my Onkyo 606 as well as the optical for audio.
There is a setting on the amp for 'auto lip sync', with this I have yet to see any lip-sync issues.

Before using this I would set my Sky+HD to 40ms and this suited most.
Changed my TV and all of a sudden lip sync all over the place which was when I found the setting on the amp.

So I think there is a way via hdmi that an amp can detect what the lip sync should be set to, although not sure how this could work, but it just does.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking that is not the lip synch issue per se, as if it were consistent it would be manageable via either the Sky box or the Amp, it is the very inconsistency that is the issue here.

I mentioned in my post that for most of the time it is not an issue, either on SD or HD, however this paricular broadcast was so far out (lip synch) that it was difficult to watch, and yes change channel to another movie HD broadcast and it is fine.

So I see this as a broadcast issue rather than a home set up issue......................any thoughts??

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I agree that it would seem that the sync does vary so setting the sky+hd box to one value does not fix it for all.

So this is either a box issue or broadcast issue?

As previously said my amp seems to solve this with "auto lip sync".
So either I am no longer noticing the issue (and its still there) or the amp really is varying the delay to match whatever the Sky+Hd is outputting.

It was changing my panel from a 720p to 1080p that really highlighted the delay issue.
The new 1080p appear to have much more of a delay than the 720p that it replaced which I presumed was down to picture processing?

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure whether it has only just started happening or whether its the first time I have noticed it but I discovered if I paused a programme I had recorded (via sky +) then started it again it would have severe lip sync problems. No amount of changing the audio delay fixed it. I contacted sky and they told me to do a planner rebuild, and that fixed it.

Until the next time it went wrong. A planner rebuild fixed it. Then it went wrong again. So on and so on.

Now it happens every time I pause live tv. Its very annoying. I'll be reporting it to sky but I doubt they will have a fix.

A

Anonymous

Happens the worst on Sky SciFi HD for me - even a massive delay and rebuild does nothing, so I'm guessing it's a broadcasting fault.
emotion-6.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts