Linn Utopik

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong with a 2009 Linn PSU.
There is nothing wrong with a 2009 PSU. Its just over time things and technology get better, so products can be improved.

Using a car analogy, one of my vehicles is from 1991 and nothing wrong it as it does what I need. However, newer models have better engines, heating, etc. Do I want a newer model, no, because it suits me, but those who want the newer, up to date model are not wrong either. They get what they want to suit them, much like PSUs.

DG…

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Had a very nice few hours at Cymbiosis on Monday afternoon. Mrs DG and I went up for the Organik / Utopik demo.

We took along our Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst (1) to demo against the Organik version (2) and also took the opportunity to demo the Linn Selekt DSM Organik / Utopik (3). Unfortunately, at this time, they didn’t have a Klimax DS/3 Organik / Utopik that we could demo

Played a pre-set playlist of tracks that we know well. A pleasant time listening to music and drinking coffee.

They were connected to a Naim NAC 552 pre-amp, with 2x Naim NAP 350 power amps feeding Kudos 606 speakers.

Started with (1) to set the base level, then (2) and finally (3).

There was an improvement between (1) and (2) where there was more detail, with percussion being more defined and an overall improvement in depth.

(Interestingly, the improvement was not as much there was as against the Naim ND5 XS, when we initially got (1) in 2022.)

With (3), the presentation was a bit more relaxed, but a lot more detailed and was hearing detail that I hadn’t noticed before.

After a chat with them, we are going back up to demo the Linn Selekt DSM Utopik with two Stereo Organik Power Out Cartridges (Active) into the Kudos 606 speakers.

Before making any final decision, we want to demo a single box hub system against a large number of Naim black boxes system.

As well as the sound, one of the things I liked about (3) was the modular approach. For example, you add cartridges for various configurations, which can have one of three DACs (Standard / Katalyst / Organik). If you start, say with the standard DAC and want to upgrade to the Organik at a later stage, you can p/x the old DAC for the new DAC as it is a plug in module. Rather than with the Organik upgrade for (1), there is no p/x for the old DAC, which goes as WEEE waste. This also makes upgrading in the future easier.

So keeping my options open at the moment will decide further after the next demo sometime in December. But doing a lot of research on the Selekt edition.

DG…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts