Linn streamers

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Quite a few comments regarding Linn streamers lately i thought I'd make a thread about it as my interest has been spiked.

Dave recently commented that he would consider linn majik (i think)
As he has practical hifi solution and considers this im wondering what makes then so desirable or good?

Now for me um happy with my dac and pre amp so if i were to add a linn streamer, which(affordable) model would you recommend.

Also current linn source owners please tell me what is so good about them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew

You might get some useful insight here: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-ds-dsm-thread

The first course of action, is to get a demo of Sneaky vs Majik vs Akurate....as you pretty much double your money as you go up the food chain. I felt that the Majik DS gave me the best "Sound per Pound"...but the joy of Linn, is that as developments come forward, your DS is usually upgradeable. Their space optimization is a useful feature. https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Agree with CNo's comments - try them.

I started years ago with a Classik and subsequently Majik DSM and now Akurate which I think is the real sweet spot, particularly when you use it as part of an active set up.

That said, if you are starting out with them and like the sound then the Majik DSM in current guise is one of the best and most versatile pieces of kit on the market.

Sounds great, loads of inputs, can be used on its own as one box or as streamer only with the addition of a power amp, good control app and easy firmware updates.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrew

You might get some useful insight here: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-ds-dsm-thread

The first course of action, is to get a demo of Sneaky vs Majik vs Akurate....as you pretty much double your money as you go up the food chain. I felt that the Majik DS gave me the best "Sound per Pound"...but the joy of Linn, is that as developments come forward, your DS is usually upgradeable. Their space optimization is a useful feature. https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation

+1

Good advice. Personally, I can only talk about Linn when compared to Naim and the kit it replaced, a squeeze box touch. I shared my thoughts on the Linn DSM thread (a thread worth reading).

A current thread is comparing digital with vinyl and it's interesting to note that Linn do both but only streamers and not CD players any more. Reviews of their new top streamer (Katalyst Klimax) suggest that it reveals incredible detail as well as sounding analogue or 'real'. Only one drawback, however, it costs a staggering £16k+!!!!!

One option that's worth thinking about with Linn streamers is to buy second hand as it brings the cost down to more manageable proportions.

As Cno has pointed out, go and listen to a selection Andrew if you can. The Linn Akurate is one piece of kit that I'm not thinking of changing at any time in the near future.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Only just read your reply; must have missed it on first scan. How's the Linn aktiv system sounding these days? I've still to scratch my active speaker itch but will make a determined effort to demo now that the central heating's back on and the great outdoors is no longer quite so appealing.

Don't think that you use Spotify but you may have seen that Linn have finally got round to integrating Spotify Connect (Beta at present) which is great news to me. All the best (apologies to the OP for some sidetracking of the thread).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Having a lookthe linn majik ds would be in my pricebut seems to me an overkill if i use it with my preamp/dac.

I dont think I'd get the full use for it. Im looking for a device like the aries mini that can have a ssd installed also and so i can take my laptop out of the equation. Now not sure if the majik takes an external hdd? If i were starting now from stratch then i could consider one as a preamp/dac but now i have the benchmark need to use that.

Andrewjvt said:
Having a lookthe linn majik ds would be in my pricebut seems to me an overkill if i use it with my preamp/dac.

I dont think I'd get the full use for it. Im looking for a device like the aries mini that can have a ssd installed also and so i can take my laptop out of the equation. Now not sure if the majik takes an external hdd? If i were starting now from stratch then i could consider one as a preamp/dac but now i have the benchmark need to use that.

I've been looking into the Auralic Aries Mini myself, seems to be a highly rated bit of kit.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:

I've been looking into the Auralic Aries Mini myself, seems to be a highly rated bit of kit.

Logic tells me thats all ill need especially if i install a ssd. Paranoia tells me I need something better. I spoke to benchmark and they said get the cheapest model or stick with your laptop as it wont effect the sound quality or in other words i won't get beter sound buying higher quality kit and will be a waste of money. I need to test a few but the aries is top of list

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Fidelizer nimitra - not sure if it has storage in it though.

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/nimitra-computer-audio-server/

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Will check. It out also thanks

It looks good but at £1395 excluding ssd the aries is better value for money in my system

Even the innous products as they include ripping.

Very nice looking unit though.
I need to do some testing again
I need to visit David at little audio company and test some out with my dac to see if sq is effected by different models streamer. I personally dont think it will but many reviews say it does

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you intend keeping your existing DAC/preamp and it seems like a good one, a Linn streamer would probably not represent good value for money (the Linn obviously includes its own DAC/preamp). You would therefore need to compare any Linn streamer used on its own against one that simply feeds your existing DAC/preamp. Sounds like lots of hassle to me! Also, Linn streamers don't take external HDD; they require a NAS with a media server installed. As for comparison with Auralic etc, I've no idea how Linn match up so cannot comment. All I do know is that Linn streamers have a good reputation for sounding 'musical' and not 'digital' (apologies for the vague descriptions). They also include a form of DRC that will improve the sound in your room; the extent will depend on how badly your room is affected by adverse acoustics.

Linnies are an interesting bunch. They tend to be brand loyal but are generally friendly and open to discussion/argument on the Linn forum. One final thought, if you've never heard a Linn streamer, a visit to a Linn dealer for a demo might be worth it! Enjoy your search.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Only just read your reply; must have missed it on first scan. How's the Linn aktiv system sounding these days? I've still to scratch my active speaker itch but will make a determined effort to demo now that the central heating's back on and the great outdoors is no longer quite so appealing.

Don't think that you use Spotify but you may have seen that Linn have finally got round to integrating Spotify Connect (Beta at present) which is great news to me. All the best (apologies to the OP for some sidetracking of the thread).

Hi Pedro

Long time!

I'm still loving it despite life being rather upside down for the last 6 months with house/work and all that stuff. The move to active was the best thing I ever did and it really opened the system up. I'd describe it as at least 50% 'better' in terms of detail, separation, definition etc. It actually didn't cost me that much money initially as I did it with the Majik stuff and added in a 4100 and a set of Katans and I was there.

Taking the Akurate active was something else though but, as ever, speaker matching for room size is the critical bit in addition to the power amp being more expensive.

Thus far I have resisted the Exakt temptation though did manage to listen to an ADSM Exakt with PMC Twenty 26's recently for a little while. Pretty impressive but am not sure the cost involved would give me equal benefit.

Keep me posted on how you are doing!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

Will check. It out also thanks

It looks good but at £1395 excluding ssd the aries is better value for money in my system

Even the innous products as they include ripping.

Very nice looking unit though. I need to do some testing again I need to visit David at little audio company and test some out with my dac to see if sq is effected by different models streamer. I personally dont think it will but many reviews say it does

You will need a good power suppy for it as well - difference that product its made by an audiopc enthusiast with recognised software that makes a difference.

You can do this all yourself but its a headache and its not cheap to do it right.

There may be an Innuos up for sale very soon from a forum member you will know on here that might be of interest.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

If you are not using the DAC in the DS, there is no point in going this route.

2 of the main reasons for opting for the the Linn are:

- They use their own bespoke upsampling: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Up-sampling

- Their Dynamik Power Supply made a big difference when introduced to their DS: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Dynamik

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
As im happy with my dac/pre im needing a quality music file transport that is hard wired to my dac and not wireless (although it can have wireless capacity)

A top class dac/pre is wasted on me.
I thought there may have been a linn model

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

insider9

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
As im happy with my dac/pre im needing a quality music file transport that is hard wired to my dac and not wireless (although it can have wireless capacity)

A top class dac/pre is wasted on me. I thought there may have been a linn model

If you are looking for a quality Transport, you could do worse than look here: http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/streaming-music-players/stream-x-signature
Cyrus? Not you as well ;)

Me? Certinly not! I'm a Linn man, through and through. *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

If you are looking for a quality Transport, you could do worse than look here: http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/streaming-music-players/stream-x-signature

Very good call.
I can attach an external hdd or ssd
Does anyone have experience working with one of these?

There are plenty on ebay for cheap

Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

If you are looking for a quality Transport, you could do worse than look here: http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/streaming-music-players/stream-x-signature

Very good call. I can attach an external hdd or ssd Does anyone have experience working with one of these?

No support for DSD if that is necessary.

Not many Stream X Signatures mind you, plenty of bog-standard Stream X though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

If you are looking for a quality Transport, you could do worse than look here: http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/streaming-music-players/stream-x-signature

Very good call. I can attach an external hdd or ssd Does anyone have experience working with one of these?

No support for DSD if that is necessary.

Not many Stream X Signatures mind you, plenty of bog-standard Stream X though.

Point noted. I got a little carried away with excitement at one for 499. Also in faq on cyrus website the software is not as good for usb storage as apposed to a nas

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sometimes these types of units can be made to play nice with an external ssd in a caddy if you format the ssd in the right way.

Had that issue with a Pioneer N50a a pal owns but I got it working for him.

A lightly used Innuos Zenith option 1 I still think for you or maybe the New Naim Core as an alternative. Probably more expensive though.

I think you need to pay attention to the library software options with whatever you choose. If the library software is bad the whole experience breaks down

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts