Linn Axis + Akito arm + Ortofon 510MKII

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi All. Long time no post. Anyhow, some advice please on above. I have been rarely using the above turntable/cartridge set up and am now looking to upgrade the cartridge as I want to rediscover my vinyl collection once more. I have been considering the Goldring 2100 or 2200. My question is this. Would this replacement be a sideways upgrade from the Ortofon 510 and should I consider spending more on the new cartridge to get a marked improvement? If so what would you recommend? I would like to have a fuller sound with more depth. Would I need to break into the realms of the moving coil breed of cartridge to achieve this? My Linn was properly serviced in 2004 and has on average been used for an hour or so once a month. So the current Ortofon 510 has not seen much action but I have recently replaced the stylus and "run it in", so there's a few quid to go towards my budget from it's sell second hand. Some advice please and thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

I've not compared the Goldring 2100 to the Ortofon 510, but the Goldring 1012 is (in my opinion) a much nicer cartridge than the Ortofon 510. I compared them on a Thorens deck and arm.

When I had an Akito arm, I used the Linn Adikt cartridge - it's actually made by Goldring, and it has plastic lugs on the top which mean you don't need to faff around with an alignment protractor when you're installing it in a Linn or ProJect arm.

A

Anonymous

I've not compared the Goldring 2100 to the Ortofon 510, but the Goldring 1012 is (in my opinion) a much nicer cartridge than the Ortofon 510. I compared them on a Thorens deck and arm.

When I had an Akito arm, I used the Linn Adikt cartridge - it's actually made by Goldring, and it has plastic lugs on the top which mean you don't need to faff around with an alignment protractor when you're installing it in a Linn or ProJect arm.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi and thank you for your reply. I know it's just the one opinion so far but it looks like I need to spend a bit more to gain a masked improvement. The Adikt is a little too pricey but the Goldring 1012gx latest variant sounds a reasonable option at around £170 mark. Reviews online also reckon it's good with rock music. Anyone else with ideas are most welcome to voice their recommendations please

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Im afraid I cant comment on the Linn / Akita combination but I recently purchased a Goldring 1042 cartridge (next step up from the 1012 I believe) for my Rega Planar 3 and RB300 Arm. SuperFi were doing them for £199.00 (although believe the price has gone up now to about £230ish).

I find that the 1042 gives me a full and nicely rounded sound with strong LF (not overpowering though) and good Mid and High's. I listen to rock music, Female Vocals and Accoustic music and find the 1042 to be very good with these Genres.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for comment. it's such a mine field as there are so many options out there!! I've been researching the internet and have narrowed down to a few options. There's the Ortofon 2m Blue, but may be too bright for me The Goldring 1012 as mentioned and the AT120e. Both supposed to be good with rock but the AT 120e having "unpredictable and underwhelming Bass" at times. I could stretch to the AT 440 but reviews have said it can be a bit "splashy" in the treble. There's also the Shure M97xE which seems well received but at the price, would this be just a "different" sound and not really an upgrade of my Ortofon 510 MkII. I need to think long and hard. More advice is still most welcome.

richie60

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, i've owned both the Goldring 1012GX, Shure M97xE.

The Goldring is a great cartridge, not too bright, good bass, great tracking. The Shure sounded dull, not excelling in any area, but this could be down to cartridge loading. Others to consider would be the Denon DL110 or 160 or the Grado prestige silver or gold.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Well due to funds having to be split (picked up some rear surround Kef's I'd been after for a while!!)my budget max had halved to around £80. So I bought an Audio Technica AT120E/T.

Took over a week to arrive (1st clas mail my a*#e)and installed it today. It's been a while since I last fitted a cartridge (about 1992, a Roksan Chorus Blue)but the Linn/Akito makes life very easy :)

Also, I have 3 load Capacitance settings on my pre amp so I got in touch with Linn to find out what the tonearm and wiring pF was so I could calculate the correct setting. Seeing as I bought the Linn in 1989 I was really impressed with Linn's help line because they came back to me almost straight away with the info I needed...Top Marks Linn.

If anyone else needs to know this info for akito arm load capacitance then it is as follows:
Tonearm =14pF
Wiring=100pF
Total 114pF

Ok the sound...well from the off it's great with rock music, played some Marillion and Rush. It's detailed yet not bright in my system and the depth and weight through my Q300s is great. I certainly dont get the same depth from CDs. There was a little sibilance on the Marillion album so a bit of tinkering with tracking weight. Set at nominal 1.4 (scale recommended 1.1-1.8) will set a little heavier.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Will the Goldring 2100 or 1012 fir the Akito tonearm? I've got the same arm and was looking to try the Goldring cartridge, but no one I talked to so far about it seemed to know whether it would fit or not! Please, someone let me know!! :pray: Thanks and cheers!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Well...I have been living with the AT120e now for some 20 hours. Some have said 100hours to full run in so I can't wait!!

The sound so far is phenominal to my ears. The clarity, depth and shear weight of sound is excellent. Even though 20 hours over a month is not a lot of listening to some of you out there, I've not touched my CD collection and have been buying a lot of vinyl again.

The Linn, Akito At120e gives my Arcam cd73t a serious spanking!! Even though I am currently using an old Rotel 820A as a stop gap whilst I replace my power amp. 25w/channel? sounds ridiculous...must be older amps as I can reach very good room filling volumes.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Well...I have been living with the AT120e now for some 20 hours. Some have said 100hours to full run in so I can't wait!!

The sound so far is phenominal to my ears. The clarity, depth and shear weight of sound is excellent. Even though 20 hours over a month is not a lot of listening to some of you out there, I've not touched my CD collection and have been buying a lot of vinyl again.

The Linn, Akito At120e gives my Arcam cd73t a serious spanking!! Even though I am currently using an old Rotel 820A as a stop gap whilst I replace my power amp. 25w/channel? sounds ridiculous...must be older amps as I can reach very good room filling volumes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts