Question Linear PCM files v MP3 320kbps

you can tell i've got too much time on my hands these days!
A little experiment today, discovering what files my Marantz SACD will play through the front USB port via a 64GB flash drive. It turns out that it will play PCM files so i did a back to back test, and they are noticeably better in quality to the 320kbps MP3 files i have loaded.
question is, how many albums can i fit on a 64GB in LPCM ?
i've got over 500 albums on there at the moment, so i'm considering ripping a bunch again, as LPCM and swapping them out.
may as well while i'm sat here relaxing, enjoying the music.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray
I’ve done mine at least 4 times. 500+ CDs at a time.
Had an iPod, so ripped to iTunes.
Laptop broke, so ripped again to new one.
Ripped twice again since! For mp3 for the car and for SACD player.
Laptop broke again, removed all files, and now find myself doing them again to WAV.

I’m probably being dim, but where do PCM files originate from? Reminds me of early Denon digital recordings, if my memory serves, but not sure where you’d source them today.
Yep, linear PCM or WAV is simply an uncompressed format much like FLAC that you can rip CD s to.
Most of my CD s are ripped to FLAC as soon as I get them and stored on USB solid state hard drive for home use and 128Gb micro SD cards for my DAP for when I am away at work.

Reactions: nopiano and Gray
D

Deleted member 116933

A little experiment today, discovering what files my Marantz SACD will play through the front USB port via a 64GB flash drive. It turns out that it will play PCM files so i did a back to back test, and they are noticeably better in quality to the 320kbps MP3 files i have loaded.
i've got over 500 albums on there at the moment, so i'm considering ripping a bunch again, as LPCM and swapping them out.

500 albums at 700mb (CD max storage size) is 350gb get yourself a 1tb stick £22 from amazon and probably cheaper off my memory, it will fit the lot, bear in mind to back up somewhere memory sticks can and will fail.
They are not archival.

Reactions: scene

abacus

500 albums at 700mb (CD max storage size) is 350gb get yourself a 1tb stick £22 from amazon and probably cheaper off my memory, it will fit the lot, bear in mind to back up somewhere memory sticks can and will fail.
They are not archival.

Probably fake like all cheap USB sticks that promise the earth for virtually no money, Stick with a brand name to make sure you get what it says on the tin.

Bill

the reason i have used WAV is because that is what the Marantz will play through the front USB. i think thats about the best sound quality i can get from that.
the connection on the rear will play other stuff, but needs a laptop connecting, which i'm not bothered about doing (not yet anyway)

manicm

You have a SACD player, and use a 64Gb flash drive? You’re a real tightwad aren’t you? Pucker up and get a Sandisk ExtremePro 256gb stick that I got two years ago - it’s an SSD on a stick afaik. It will be an eyesore, but you’ll get over it.

Also, don’t use WAV, get EAC for free and rip in FLAC. And when you configure for first use choose the ‘quality’ option over ‘speed’. Ripping will be a bit slower but much better - trust me.

Last edited:
You have a SACD player, and use a 64Gb flash drive? You’re a real tightwad aren’t you? Pucker up and get a Sandisk ExtremePro 256gb stick that I got two years ago - it’s an SSD on a stick afaik. It will be an eyesore, but you’ll get over it.

Also, don’t use WAV, get EAC for free and rip in FLAC. And when you configure for first use choose the ‘quality’ option over ‘speed’. Ripping will be a bit slower but much better - trust me.

Good plan. Ripping to FLAC will save space over WAV as it is compressed but the difference in sound quality is probably not discernable.

D

Deleted member 116933

here's one that won't look like an eye sore might be a bit slower but it will get the job done

Reactions: Al ears

iMark

FLAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless) are lossless compression formats. When you decompress the files they will have exactly the same properties as the original PCM (WAV or AIFF). You can even transcode from FLAC to ALAC and back without any quality loss.

Hopefully by the time I’m on my days off I should have received a few more CDs to rip.
I got the Mrs to buy 2 discs I’d been after for ages, they were listed on eBay so bought them.
Then, about 10 mins later, I noticed lots of the same 2 CDs for sale, and all in Russia.
This seemed a bit too coincidental, so I’m expecting them to be counterfeit.
Buyers remorse 🙁

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
PCM is not necessarily relevant to just audio, but a technology for converting an analogue signal into a digital one. I’m a massive RC aircraft nut and PCM was used in receivers as a means of digital telephony. So an analogue signal from the transmitter to the receiver where it is changed to digital for all the digital channels and servos (aileron, rudder etc) . The tech is now different in RC with 2.4ghz DSM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts