Lift the TT . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been making a pig of myself over the past couple of days. The new cartridge is great, turn the wick up a little, day time no one to complain . . . but Oh'dear, whats that humming, and it gets worse with more volume. OK, dont panic . . . logical sequence to track it down . . . Only TT, does not happen on CD.

Started to wonder if it was the phono stage? borrowed a 'remote phono' from friendly dealer, plug this into a 'line in', still the same?

Any way after a lot of thinking and fiddling, to no good effect! . . . :? have I ignoring the obvious . . . feed back from the isolated bookshelves, that currently support the system. I spent a lot of time on the isolation. Not the amp shelf, lifted the amp, still same . . . so, lift the TT . . . hum disappeared :wall:

I was so confident I had it right, OK with the Ortofons. After a lot more fiddling, to asses if it was an individual component or the isolation as whole. Turned out the granite slab was a problem and the 'broken bell' board needed a bit of re position and re support, my 20 year old box of trick came in very useful, stuff you think is no good but cant throw away.

Just spent the past 3 hours listening to what I have been missing . . . the unheard hum put a masking in the sound, very subtle, but there. Hazels been popping in from the kitchen to have listen.

I thought I had it right, shows how wrong one can be . . . looking forward to Horlicks time, and the rest of the week, I'm off work.

Looks like I am committed to the HiFi support rebuild this summer, on of the first jobs when I retire in June!!!

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Returned the P75 Dynovector remote phono stage, very grateful for the loan, helped me pin down the problem. I asked the question . . . "why did I not hear the problem with the Ortofons" . . . straight back on the answer, "Frequency response on the Sumiko is much wider, spreading a bigger net".

. . . ah well, I have the basic design in my head to resolve the issue.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts