Lifespan of speakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello again, I have had my Acoustic Energy 109's for just about 10 years now.They still sound pretty amazing,I dont want to replace them and I am thinking of bi amping them(Audiolab 8000a at present) or have speakers moved on so much that it would be better to spend money on a new pair? if so what would be similar to the 109's? Dont really want to spend more than £500 -£700 and would consider "book shelf" speakers as I have moved to a smaller place. Many Thanks

A

Anonymous

[quote user="t111bdm"]They still sound pretty amazing,I dont want to replace them and I am thinking of
bi amping [/quote]

if it aint broken dont fix it especially if u are happy with them

A

Anonymous

[quote user="t111bdm"]Hello again,

I have had my Acoustic Energy 109's for just about 10 years now.They still sound pretty amazing,I dont want to replace them and I am thinking of bi amping them(Audiolab 8000a at present) or have speakers moved on so much that it would be better to spend money on a new pair?[/quote]

Speakers, unlike other mechanical devices, get better with use. Just take the grills off and check the cones. Do you see any wear and tear? If not, don't ever think they are 10 years old. If you do, may be you should start looking for replacement. But you still go on with them unless you start hearing flutter or other irregularities.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,
I guess i should trust my gut instinct.
Many thanks for you replies.

A

Anonymous

hi, although you already seem to have your answer from the previous posts i will add my 2 cents...
i recently became the VERY proud owner of a pair of T+A Spectrum ADL III's.
i bought these speakers secondhand and they are now 20 years old. Unfortunately the rubber surrounds recently perished around the bass and mid cones - but it took 20 years!
thing is, after being repaired professionally for a reasonable sum the speakers are now as good as new and should, with plenty of TLC continue to provide me with many more years of loyal service.
i should add that these speakers cost 2000DM back in 1985 and so are quite high-end speakers and as such i consider them worthy of repair - plus they sound phenomonal!
i guess if you really like your speakers then stick with them and if the need for repair arises then you will have to weigh up the price of repair with what the speakers are worth to you!
i cant be sure but i believe that the surrounds on the bass and mid woofers are the only perishable components on speakers if they are not overdriven...

hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts