LG PG6000 plasma range 24p support? Getting judder!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently purchased an LG 50PG6000 plasma TV which I am farely happy with. However, I have one real concern. The 1080/24p playback judders via media centre and PS3 Blu-Ray. Can anyone confirm if this set actually does proper even pulldown? LG have advertised on their site that it does 3/2:2 pulldown. I dont know exactly which one this means. If it does 2:2 pulldown then the playback should be smooth, but it judders far too much. It's actually quite annoying. Setting the pictue back to 60Hz produces pretty much the same effect. My question is, does the LG PG6000 range convert 24Hz back to 60Hz, making 24p support effectively pointless?

I contacted LG support about this and they told me it does 3:2 pulldown, so how come it says 3/2:2 pulldown on their site? I would really appreciate it if a moderator could perhaps put this to LG directly and see what they say. Perhaps there is a setting I need to change? Thanks in advance!

P.S - I am about to return this set if I cannot get rid of the judder, which I don't want to have to do. It really does look stunning.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Viper,

I believe the PG6000 range can handle 24p correctly through HDMI (not component) if you go into the menu and select film mode [on] this should resolve the jerkiness.

Best Regards

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I think I saw an option for film mode but I'm pretty sure it was greyed out. This was over HDMI. Have I missed something? If I get this working I will be very happy indeed as I'm delighted with the set other than the judder problem.

Clare - Thanks a million yet again for your reply. You have helped me out tons in the past!

A

Anonymous

Ok, have since checked the film mode option and it is completely greyed out in all HDMI ports, but is available in Freeview. I am guessing that proper pulldown is supposed to be automatically activated through HDMI, but I am definately seeing judder.

Clare - please let us know when you have an official answer from LG. Thanks again WHF!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Just checking - are you sure that both your video card and your PS3 support 24fps? The PS3 for one needed a firmware update if I remember.[/quote]

Hi, yes I can confirm I am using the latest firmware. I am using a media player with a built in Sigma video processing chip so not a graphics card. Also, I used the same equipment on a Pioneer 4280XD and there was no judder at all. This is why I believe the set is causing it in some way. Thanks
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

It seems that most of the 100Hz PDP's suffer from judder. i've seen the judder on the PG6000 and it is nowhere near as bad as i've seen on some other models. To be fair to LG the 42PG6000 is going for less than 700 quid. the Pioneer modules have been specifically designed to cope much better with 24p. They have invested a lot of money in that technology on their panels and the price of a 4280XD is well over £1200!!!..... if you have the money and are really keen on 24p then the pioneer is the best choice but for 700 quid i know which i'd rather buy!!....

(24p seems to be getting much better on LCD though....)

P.S don't forget Pioneer don't make their own panels now though so perhaps this 24p R&D was an unfortunate error at Japan HQ!!?

A

Anonymous

The whole point of 24p is to produce a judder free picture at the frame rate the director intended. If the LG PG6000 series uses the correct pulldown method of 2:2 as advertised on their website then there would be no judder at all. My point is, I am getting judder and I don't believe it uses the correct pulldown. It looks like the signal is being converted back to 60Hz which makes 24p support absolutely pointless.

A

Anonymous

Clare - sorry to hassle you about this, but it would be great if LG could confirm the pulldown method. A number of people have explained that they have advertised different settings depending on European location. It is very confusing. Thanks
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've spoken to LG and got similar comments to Hyperboy's above - ie that all sets that use pulldown (rather than the 24fps processing method Pioneer uses) are subject to some judder in extreme instances.

Not having tested the set ourselves, I can't comment on whether the LG performs better or worse than its rivals in this respect and therefore judge whether you've a duff set or not. Sorry, I tried!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare! It would be nice for LG to specify the correct pulldown method that they use though. They have 3/2:2 pulldown on their site. What the HELL does that mean?
emotion-7.gif

When will you be reviewing the PG6000? Can't wait to read it! Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Viper,

The definitive answer to the whole spec thing for the PG6000 is that it will do both pulldown methods depending on what input... 3:2 for 24p (as you originally suggested) or 2:2 for DVD or other 25Hz/50Hz material to get to 100Hz

Hope this helps you

A

Anonymous

Thanks Hyperboy78. How did you find this out? This is really helpful.

A

Anonymous

Clare - Looking forward to the review of the PG6000 coming out at the end of May! Thanks!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ViperGRM"]
Thanks Hyperboy78. How did you find this out? This is really helpful.
[/quote]

I have tested one recently!

Glad to help

A

Anonymous

For anyone who is interested, I received the following reply from LG:

Thank you for your email

Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying, this has been due to a technical problem with our email system.

This TV can accept a 24fps signal as an input but it will not display video at this rate. The TV cannot recover or display the original 24p content. No current LG product process a signal at the original 24p (24 progressive frames a second). This is probably due to the nature of the final picture. If processed at 24p then it would create a cinematic effect, a slight flickering that you get when projecting film like at the cinema. This is OK if watching a movie but would look odd if it was a news broadcast or content of a similar nature.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no way to overcome the "motion judder" that you get from the refresh rate not being perfectly divisible by 24. You end up with the choice of either adding or subtracting frames to meet the refresh rate as you cannot display part of a frame. These added or subtracted frames cause this ùjudderù effect. LG is in the process of making a product that will process the 24p at a 72Hz refresh rate. This will eliminate this problem but as yet there is no TV of any brand that we know about on the market that can do this

Best regards,
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts