LG not dumping HD DVD

nads

now the below from another site is odd.

In a strange move, LG has said it will continue to back, develop and offer HD DVD players. LG has issued a statement to Pocket-lint following the announcement this morning that Toshiba was stopping support for the HD DVD format. "LG believes that at this present moment in time, it is necessary to provide a player which supports both formats and therefore create simplicity and convenience for the existing HDDVD consumer." LG, who currently offer a dual machine capable of playing both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs isn't dumping the format straight away. Daniel Aziz, marketing manager for LG Electronics told us: "With the recent announcement from Toshiba, Blu-Ray will now be the format that will pave the way for high definition movies, however this does not rule out HDDVD immediately as there are still a number of consumers who have chosen HDDVD and begun to build a HDDVD collection." Before going on to say that "The previous confusion in the high definition market (HDDVD v Blu-ray) is now clearer and LG welcomes this as it will provide confidence for the end user, to the retailers and overall the home entertainment market." "Overall LG is still excited about the future of this market, LG has always set out to lead high definition players and will continue to do so with more technology evolutions and hybrids which will launch in due course." Toshiba might be dumping the format, but it appears LG is still very much a firm believer.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
In other words "don't stop buying our hybrid player, PLEASE - it took us millions to develop and we haven't had the chance to sell many yet"
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

nice marketing/sales technique. Got hd dvd? Feeling unloved? Lonely, wasted money backing the wrong horse in the hd war? Never fear, lg is here to look after you.
I think its a brilliant idea. There's going to be v little or no competition when existing hd dvd owners want a new player but dont want to change format and have to buy a new film library.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, but the hybrid players (LG and the long-awaited-but-still-not-here Samsungs) are going to have to come down a heck of a lot in price. LG's dual player is still £699 (and that's retail, not list price) - you could buy a very good Blu-ray player plus all your discs again for that money!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]In other words "don't stop buying our hybrid player, PLEASE - it took us millions to develop and we haven't had the chance to sell many yet"
emotion-14.gif
[/quote]

Is that what they call a smart Korea move?

I'll get me coat...

A

Anonymous

i agree totally. But in a year or two or when the hd discs are in short supply a lot of people will have a fair few more in their library (especially as lg can supply a new one). If you have a hybrid player why buy a bd disc for £20ish if you can pick up the hd version for £12? If i had chosen to wait and have lg or samsung dual format player then thats what i would be thinking. These players will obviously come down in price over time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts