LFE Frequency Range?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What is the frequency range of this channel?

Wikipedia quote "Low-Frequency Effects (LFE) is the name of an audio track specifically intended for deep, low-pitched sounds ranging from 3-200 Hz"

All speakers are set to Large setting on a Denon 3808 - (should be receiving a full range signal for FL/FR/C/RL/RR)?

Crossover point on receiver for sub set to 60Hz - How does this effect the LFE channel as my sub can except 22Hz-200Hz

If the LFE generates a signal from 3-200Hz then I must be losing some information on the LFE channel from 60-200Hz??

Should I increase this to 200HZ so the sub receives the full range signal of the LFE channel??

Any help to clear this up would be great, cheers

A

Anonymous

No leave alone if youve got you crossover on your amp set to 60hz then all the sound abouve 60hz is sent to your main speakers and everything below sent to your sub.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Gareth is correct, although I might be tempted to experiment with settings from 60hz up to 90hz. ÿMy system was crystal clear, with good deep bass, but after I went up to 90 from 80 (the THX recommendation) I gained more warmth and integration through the range. ÿSetting the sub too low can create a 'hole' I believe.

A

Anonymous

Yes what sorringer says! i have mine set to 80hz but this depends on the ability of your main speaker above all else to low enough my quads are stating to roll of around 70 so setting my crossover to 80hz is about imo

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

I have a PMC setup with floorstanders and a TLE sub.

If the Floorstanders are set to Large on the Receiver then surely there will be no crossover point as they will receive the channels full range signal 20Hz - 20,000Hz?

Therefore my sub just has to deal with LFE channel and I'm trying to work out if I set the crossover point on the receiver to 200 Hz then I will get the full range of the LFE channel sent to the sub and not just everything under 60Hz?

I'm asking as I would have thought the LFE channel is an independant track from all other channels, or is it a mixture of the others below a crossovered frequency?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Id be tempted to set the speakers to around 80hz even though they are floor standers as i doubt they go down anywhere near 20hz regardless of thier size

A

Anonymous

digital247:Thanks, I have a PMC setup with floorstanders and a TLE sub. If the Floorstanders are set to Large on the Receiver then surely there will be no crossover point as they will receive the channels full range signal 20Hz - 20,000Hz? Therefore my sub just has to deal with LFE channel and I'm trying to work out if I set the crossover point on the receiver to 200 Hz then I will get the full range of the LFE channel sent to the sub and not just everything under 60Hz? I'm asking as I would have thought the LFE channel is an independant track from all other channels, or is it a mixture of the others below a crossovered frequency? Cheers

Usually, if the speakers are set to large, then only the LFE channel is sent to the sub regardless of what the crossover point is set to. In order to send low frequencies from other channels to the sub, as well as the LFE "track", you first need to set the speakers to small. Quite often , the best setting for the crossover is just above the point where the main speakers start to roll off. This is very dependent on your own room acoustics, speaker positioning etc. The temptation with floor standers is to set them to large, because they are a physically large and also because the claimed bass response is usually quite low. However, it may be possible to achieve a better sound by using the sub to handle all the base (that is what it is specifically designed for) which can then lead to an improvement in mid-range from the "main" speakers (because they don't have to deal with the base as well). The way only to decide for yourself is to try various settings to find out what works best for you, with your room acoustics etc.

A

Anonymous

Dolby Digital and DTS LFE channels are specified as up to 110/120Hz.

Dolby has a decent flat response but the phase change within the band is enormous and can cause interference in the room with cancellations and additions because of this. DTS has an uneven frequency response but the phase remains fairly constant and sounds flatter than Dolby.

Without any bass management, setting the LFE response to 120Hz or higher will give the effects as intended in the mix. That's how the film mixing stage was set-up for the mixing sessions. I used to check this every morning during a film mixing project.

However the introduction of bass management in the domestic equipment changes this as filtered low pass signals are now fed from the front channels to the subwoofer. This means we have to do a balancing act between the front speakers and the sub to ensure the crossover frequency avoids either a dip or a peak in the combined response.

Amplifiers often have different selectable crossover frequencies, and these will depend on the sub/speaker combination for best results. The sub will have frequency/phase/level adjustments to complicate things further. With all these variables, there is no hard and fast setting to follow, it will be different in all cases, especially as room acoustics will affect the LF response as well.

If you can get hold of one, a spectrum analyser with pink noise is a good start to show up any serious peaks and dips which can help the bass management crossover selection, and also the relative energy levels between speakers. A good signal for setting up subs is two narrow band filtered noise signals, one at 1kHz and the other at around 80Hz which was a track I found on an old DTS setup disc, that way you can make each the same height on the analyser display by adjusting the level of the sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts