Level 42 - superb.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Im a bit older so my teenage diet of music was Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zepp, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Little Feat, Yes, Tull etc.

After about 1977 I did lose a lot of interest in music.

I was the opposite way round. Grew up with 60s Motown, Stax, The Who, Small Faces.... the 70s, by comparison, was dreary with groups like Smokie, The Sweet, Rubettes, T-Rex... along with EDITED novelty records like Clive Dunn (Grandad), The Wurzels.

There were exceptions such as Minnie Riperton, Kate Bush, Curtis Mayfield, Bowie, early Roxy, Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, Al Green, Marvin Gaye...

The Punk/New Wave stuff revitalised my interest because of the energy. The Jam were reincarnation of The Who and Kinks. Defined my way of life.
You forgot the mighty SLADE..........:)

not sure who that is directed at?

If at me then you must be joking.

alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
Im a bit older so my teenage diet of music was Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zepp, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Little Feat, Yes, Tull etc.

I was the opposite way round. Grew up with 60s Motown, Stax, The Who, Small Faces.... the 70s, by comparison, was dreary with groups like Smokie, The Sweet, Rubettes, T-Rex... along with EDITED novelty records like Clive Dunn (Grandad), The Wurzels.

There were exceptions such as Minnie Riperton, Kate Bush, Curtis Mayfield, Bowie, early Roxy, Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, Al Green, Marvin Gaye...

The Punk/New Wave stuff revitalised my interest because of the energy. The Jam were reincarnation of The Who and Kinks. Defined my way of life.

Slade were the best of the 70s dirge. Nah, I've always been a bit of a soul funkster (Chic; Hi-Tension; Earth, Wind and Fire; Heatwave; Sylvester; Dan Hartman; T-Connection; Roberta Flack...).

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Thats interesting, the 70s for me was all about albums, never liked all that singles stuff.

Minnie, kate, Lizzy and the others all produced fabulous albums. I like my music to be a bit raw and not perfect, pretentious EDITED as produced by the Progs

D

Deleted member 108165

plastic penguin said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Slade were the best of the 70s dirge. Nah, I've always been a bit of a soul funkster (Chic; Hi-Tension; Earth, Wind and Fire; Heatwave; Sylvester; Dan Hartman; T-Connection; Roberta Flack...).

1975 onwards is my era too, (I was seventeen in 1975). Always into a bit of Soul/Funk plus some Motown and New Wave and dare I say Disco too. But of all the singers around at that time only one is my true diva - Donna Summer; an incredibly underrated and talented songstress who managed to continue long after Disco died, (well it didn't actually die they re-labelled it as dance music). Just listen to her vocals on a decent rip of MacArthur Park and then Lush Life; she could sing the phone book.

DougK said:
plastic penguin said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

1975 onwards is my era too, (I was seventeen in 1975). Always into a bit of Soul/Funk plus some Motown and New Wave and dare I say Disco too. But of all the singers around at that time only one is my true diva - Donna Summer; an incredibly underrated and talented songstress who managed to continue long after Disco died, (well it didn't actually die they re-labelled it as dance music). Just listen to her vocals on a decent rip of MacArthur Park and then Lush Life; she could sing the phone book.

Add Evelyn King, Terence Trent D'Arby, Randy Crawford to that underrated list. Let's not forget the wonderful songwriting of Quincy Jones.

D

Deleted member 108165

Underrated list - no sorry PP this is where we agree to disagree. Randy Crawford... maybe. No doubting Quincy was a great producer, but the album he did with Donna was terribly over-produced to the point where it felt like she was a guest vocalist on her own album. However, this is the album where Lush Life appears and also the brilliant anthem State of Indedependence.

What astounded me was Donna's performance on the 1999 VH1 Live and More Encore DVD, she was 50 when she recorded this but her voice was still so rich and powerful. She also waxed the VH1 Divas 2000 Diana Ross tribute and stole the show there too, she left the other singers in her wake, including Ms Ross.

D

Deleted member 108165

Yep, I've got some Candi too. Good times my friend, when singers could actually sing without the aid of auto-tune, or lip-sync through a pre-recorded concert.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Add Evelyn King, Terence Trent D'Arby, Randy Crawford to that underrated list. Let's not forget the wonderful songwriting of Quincy Jones.

I thought Terence Trent D'Arby was much later more late 80s?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Bay city rollers, Osmonds and not forgetting Mud............:dance: ..........:)

That just about sums up my wife's music collection, which surprisingly enough still resides safely up in the loft
smiley-laughing.gif

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
Underrated list - no sorry PP this is where we agree to disagree. Randy Crawford... maybe. No doubting Quincy was a great producer, but the album he did with Donna was terribly over-produced to the point where it felt like she was a guest vocalist on her own album. However, this is the album where Lush Life appears and also the brilliant anthem State of Indedependence.

What astounded me was Donna's performance on the 1999 VH1 Live and More Encore DVD, she was 50 when she recorded this but her voice was still so rich and powerful. She also waxed the VH1 Divas 2000 Diana Ross tribute and stole the show there too, she left the other singers in her wake, including Ms Ross.

A wonderful song, just wonderful. "Anthem" is the right word for it. Giving it a spin right now.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
DIB said:
alchemist 1 said:
Bay city rollers, Osmonds and not forgetting Mud............:dance: ..........:)

That just about sums up my wife's music collection, which surprisingly enough still resides safely up in the loft
smiley-laughing.gif

Yes, but does she still have the tartan wrist scarfs ? [shangalang] ..........;)

Better than that. We live in Manchester, just down the road from the old Granada studios. Back in the day my wife and her friends used to go down there on a weekly basis for the recording of the Bay City Rollers TV show.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
I would say a fair chunk of 80s original recordings sound lousey on cd. Overall, that period, is far better on vinyl.

I'd be included to differ. Barring a very few, the majority I've heard have been excellent. I tend to seek out the earlier releases in fact, usually as they're closed to the analogue master.

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:
I would say a fair chunk of 80s original recordings sound lousey on cd. Overall, that period, is far better on vinyl.

I'd be included to differ. Barring a very few, the majority I've heard have been excellent. I tend to seek out the earlier releases in fact, usually as they're closed to the analogue master.

You took that quote from 2012, right?

T

the record spot

Ah, me neither. Most sound fine, think it's more down to the gear of today that's harsh than metal domed tweeters per se. Mission 751 being a very musical, non-fatiguing mesh-dome tweeter that I use as a regular example.

TRENDING THREADS