Level 42 - superb.

Just dug out their first album 'Level 42' and the sound qaulity is mind-blowing.

The whole album really sounds impressive but the track 'Starchild' really tests the hi-fi to the full; detail and insight is immaculate, while Mark King's bass playing is fabulous - you can hear every pluck of the guitar.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Cool! a lot of CDs from the 80s & early 90s sound soo soo good!

A lot of early INXS sound absolutely fantastic! The Smiths too........ I wish new CDs sounded as good!

I'm a big INXS fan, and almost all of the CDs sound awful to me. Which ones do you think are good? I maybe need to have another listen. Might save me a few bob, I was just thinking of buying the remasters box set.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I always test gear with 80's music..its the music that sounds best, bass treble wise balance .very tuneful era os music.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
stevebrock said:
Cool! a lot of CDs from the 80s & early 90s sound soo soo good!

A lot of early INXS sound absolutely fantastic! The Smiths too........ I wish new CDs sounded as good!

I'm a big INXS fan, and almost all of the CDs sound awful to me. Which ones do you think are good? I maybe need to have another listen. Might save me a few bob, I was just thinking of buying the remasters box set.

Kick & Welcome to wherever you are

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I was a big fan of Level 42 in the 80's, and still am, but for me they were a live band. There's many bands out there that just come into their own when playing live. Seen them many times including a great gig at Ronnie Scotts in Brum, and their supposedly "final" gig on the Isle Of Wight all those years ago.

I'll have to dig out my remasters and bung them on the AVA so I can give them a go on the Blades and see what the CD recordings can really do :)

Reading this thread has made me want to listen to A Physical Presence now....

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Oddly enough I've recently rediscovered Level 42, I've really been enjoying World Machine on CD, I just love the way that album kicks off from track 1. Pretty sure that was the last album I bought on vinyl many years ago, still got it somewhere - just haven't got a working vinyl spinning machine to play it on. I never bought their eponymous first album, but I think I might now. 8)

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Just dug out their first album 'Level 42' and the sound qaulity is mind-blowing.

The whole album really sounds impressive but the track 'Starchild' really tests the hi-fi to the full; detail and insight is immaculate, while Mark King's bass playing is fabulous - you can hear every pluck of the guitar.

Indeed a Level 42 classic the keyboard on Starchild are excellent. Put the volume right up for Heathrow , the way it jumps out of the speaker is startling.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I would say a fair chunk of 80s original recordings sound lousey on cd.
I agree, even though Level 42 are an exception. This is where remasters should come in. They should be the recipe for nirvana. Trouble is we know what happens all too regularly don't we.

Mirren Boy said:
plastic penguin said:

Indeed a Level 42 classic the keyboard on Starchild are excellent. Put the volume right up for Heathrow , the way it jumps out of the speaker is startling.

Phew! I thought I was only one on here with this album.

MajorFubar said:
plastic penguin said:
I would say a fair chunk of 80s original recordings sound lousey on cd.
I agree, even though Level 42 are an exception. This is where remasters should come in. They should be the recipe for nirvana. Trouble is we know what happens all too regularly don't we.

Mine is the remastered version. Had it as a birthday present and I've only really played as background music while I'm cooking or other chores around the house. The rest of the time it's stored amongst the also-rans.

Agree - some remasters are wonderful while others sound distinctly naff.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
:clap: Excellent. Perhaps slowly it's dawning on mastering engineers that the people who are most likely to but this stuff (again, for the second or third time) don't want compressed, mastered-for-AM rubbish.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Anyone who likes Level 42 or in particular Mark King, I'd strongly recommend his solo album "Influences" from 1984. It's a less 'poppy' album on which he plays most of the instruments, save for a few guest appearances. And yes, it's better on vinyl :)

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Reading this thread has made me want to listen to A Physical Presence now....

In my opinion its their best album. If you haven't got a copy and you are a fan you must get it!. The version of Kansas City Milkman has got one the best grooves i have ever heard. :rockout:

Cheers, Ed

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I havn't any leval 42 albums but i do have one of their tracks on an 80's mix cd.

The sq of the perticular track realy moves me,if i could explain a perfect mix,it would be this.

The track is one of my all time fav's,was in my eary teen's when it came out but i loved it then...love it more now.

The track is leaving me now.

I will defanatly search for the album you are all talking about.... :cheers:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I must have missed a big chunk of level 42 I have got Standing in the light Running in the family and Staring at the sun all of which are on cd if anybody could recomend what I should add to these I would be greatfull many thanks TM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts