Lets clean our cables?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I kinda made the mistake of using vascelene when I connected my kit a couple of years back. I bought from Amazon some contact grease and began to clean & lube the centre speaker. I was amazed how the (QED silver) cable had oxidized - not apparently under the screws nor banana plugs but where the cable protudes beyond the screw terminal. In conclusion, I am now aware how oxidation effects the cables. I will be remaking all the connections but it is a fairly awkward task for me.

So has the clean & lube made a difference to the centre channel. Yes. Somewhere between 'night & day' and 'expectation bias'. I guess this is kinda advice for taking steps to minimise oxidation & recommending an occasional cleanup. When I get round to doing all mine I will report the amazing improvements. Science or snake-oil - worth a few quid I recon.

abacus

Nothing wrong with vaseline as its been used to protect electrical connections for years.

If you use bare wire connections, get some heat shrink tubing to put over the cables then when you have made your connections, slide it up so that no bare wire is showing and shrink it down to seal.

If you do have cable with corrosion (OFC cable reduces this considerably) just chop it back about 25mm (1") and re-terminate it.

Bill

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
surely Deoxit is a better and easier product use - saves you reterminating you just treat the termination.

If you want to go one better treat the terminations with Stabilant 22 - I would expect that work better at preventing the oxidation longer.

TRENDING THREADS