Let the lunatics run the asylum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
MaxFlinn said:
First time I've looked in here in ages and it seems very quiet.

Where is everyone?

B*gg*red off.

Not worth posting as you get contradicted by posters who simply have not got a clue about what is being discussed and into arguments with idiots whose woeful 'opinions' are given as much credence as the carefully considered views of the handful of contributers who do, generally speaking, know what they are talking about.

Lighten up Dave, always good to have you onboard, even if you do have a low tolerance level*biggrin*

I've been working on that but extensive reading of "Zen and the art of hi-fi system building" has not really helped.

In recent times I have been reading the forum but not posting, some of the drivel posted recently has been quite entertaining in a perverse sort of way.

However there are a few threads that really should be addressed to other fora, "What Boombox" can probably help a fair few posters of the 'my system doesn't have enough bass' kind and "Radiogram today" can probably point those looking for 'a nice tone' in the right direction.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
MaxFlinn said:
First time I've looked in here in ages and it seems very quiet.

Where is everyone?

B*gg*red off.

Not worth posting as you get contradicted by posters who simply have not got a clue about what is being discussed and into arguments with idiots whose woeful 'opinions' are given as much credence as the carefully considered views of the handful of contributers who do, generally speaking, know what they are talking about.

Lighten up Dave, always good to have you onboard, even if you do have a low tolerance level*biggrin*

I've been working on that but extensive reading of "Zen and the art of hi-fi system building" has not really helped.

In recent times I have been reading the forum but not posting, some of the drivel posted recently has been quite entertaining in a perverse sort of way.

However there are a few threads that really should be addressed to other fora, "What Boombox" can probably help a fair few posters of the 'my system doesn't have enough bass' kind and "Radiogram today" can probably point those looking for 'a nice tone' in the right direction.

Dave, maybe this will ease your pain *biggrin* Thanfully, I'm a nitwit, so it mostly goes over my head.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I got used to my AKG K702 and I notice boom in speakers even more now. It really takes away from the musical information. It mushes everything in one chunk.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I got used to my AKG K702 and I notice boom in speakers even more now. It really takes away from the musical information. It mushes everything in one chunk.

anothe poster whose contributions have been missed, although I understand why.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ID it's only normal for forums to empty out during summers. Everyone is outside, stroking the Ho, taking pics, tweeting, instagraming.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ID it's only normal for forums to empty out during summers. Everyone is outside, stroking the Ho, taking pics, tweeting, instagraming.

nope. Too hot to go outside. I'm stuck indoors with the air conditioning on 24/7

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ID. said:
nope. Too hot to go outside. I'm stuck indoors with the air conditioning on 24/7

I'm inside too, but building an Arc to cope with the torrent of rain!

I'm paddling down to the gym shortly, the weather in London is foul.

This morning I shall do my workout to discs 5 and 6 of 'The complete cellar door sessions', Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett and John McLaughlin on the same stage at the same time, electric in every sense of the word.

Moody Blues, pah!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

But at least you are learning. The one thing worse than no bass is bad bass, and there is an awful lot of that around.

I know your local market is very different from the uk, but one particular bargain has come to my attention recently. The Equator Audio D5 is a small, inexpensive active monitor that gives outrageous levels of performance at a very modest price, should be under €400.

Hard to find and currently out of production (new model on the way?) but if a pair turn up for the right money, grab them. Check out the review here.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Lunatics abound. Yup. But we have the option of the "ignore button". True lunatic debates (to which sadly I sometimes subscribe) at least gives insight into the personalities of our dear friends here.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

But at least you are learning. The one thing worse than no bass is bad bass, and there is an awful lot of that around.

I know your local market is very different from the uk, but one particular bargain has come to my attention recently. The Equator Audio D5 is a small, inexpensive active monitor that gives outrageous levels of performance at a very modest price, should be under €400.

Hard to find and currently out of production (new model on the way?) but if a pair turn up for the right money, grab them. Check out the review here.

Looks well reviewed and more than reasonably priced, plus dual-concentrics are an old love of mine. Will check with pro shops here. *ok*

Went to a friends place recently and his big German Magnats shook the room. Everything we played, soundeed chunky and he was unsatisfied, not realizing why there are no details in the sound, despite the highs being ear piercing loud when turned up. "It must be the amp" he says. I turned down the bass (on the dreaded tone controls) and the volume down. I literally turned off the massage chair bass so we can listen to actual music. After an hour of conversating he noticed that the system sounds better (sounded better right away to me, but he is used to the boom). Voila, crisp and detailed guitar riffs separate from the bass and the hihats. You can actually hear the timbral detail of a stick hitting a plastic skin on a drum, zingy. So the speakers are not as bad as they intentionally tuned them to be. Whatever sells I guess.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

Looks well reviewed and more than reasonably priced, plus dual-concentrics are an old love of mine. Will check with pro shops here. *ok*

Went to a friends place recently and his big German Magnats shook the room. Everything we played, soundeed chunky and he was unsatisfied, not realizing why there are no details in the sound, despite the highs being ear piercing loud when turned up. "It must be the amp" he says. I turned down the bass (on the dreaded tone controls) and the volume down. I literally turned off the massage chair bass so we can listen to actual music. After an hour of conversating he noticed that the system sounds better (sounded better right away to me, but he is used to the boom). Voila, crisp and detailed guitar riffs separate from the bass and the hihats. You can actually hear the timbral detail of a stick hitting a plastic skin on a drum, zingy. So the speakers are not as bad as they intentionally tuned them to be. Whatever sells I guess.

Artificially suck out the bass to give the illusion of detail? *biggrin*

Dealing with bass issues in my living room has been the hardest thing about where I currently live. Eventually went with active monitors for all my systems because it allows me better bass management. My headphones seem to be a mix of sounds, but the HD650s are a good balance with the U-05, if still rather smooth and comfortable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

Reminds me of the little DC active Tannoys ....

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun14/articles/tannoy-reveal.htm

£220 per pair on Amazon UK.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
Artificially suck out the bass to give the illusion of detail? *biggrin*

When you can feel bass through the floor from acoustic guitar struming, it's a good sign some artificial bass sucking is needed.
regular_smile.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Moody Blues, pah!

A music snob Dave?

Unashamedly!

Actually I bought the early albums, Future past, Threshold, Lost Chord, but by 1970 the music scene changed beyond belief leaving the Moodys far behind.

Great melodies will never be left behind, only fashions. Whether you like them or not, The Beatles are a great example of this. I grew up with 'prog', so I'm no stranger to virtuosity, but for me, it's the melodies that linger. Great musicians don't necessarily make great music. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I look for in music, is some portrayal of emotion that touches my soul (something I can sink into), or excites me in some way. If Miles Davis does it for you, great. Only my opinion, others are available
thumbs_up.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Moody Blues, pah!

A music snob Dave?

Unashamedly!

Actually I bought the early albums, Future past, Threshold, Lost Chord, but by 1970 the music scene changed beyond belief leaving the Moodys far behind.

Great melodies will never be left behind, only fashions. Whether you like them or not, The Beatles are a great example of this. I grew up with 'prog', so I'm no stranger to virtuosity, but for me, it's the melodies that linger. Great musicians don't necessarily make great music. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I look for in music, is some portrayal of emotion that touches my soul (something I can sink into), or excites me in some way. If Miles Davis does it for you, great. Only my opinion, others are available

This is of course a topic that can be debated for ever without ever coming to a conclusion. Pretty 'tunes' have never really been my thing so this morning at the gym, I trained to the Miles Davis/Keith Jarrett/John McLaughlin live sessions, recorded in 1970, progressive jazz/rock that was way ahead of its time.

My musical tastes vary wildly and I shift my listening habits with great regularity, a playlist on Apple Music threw up a collection of (pre Warhol) Velvet Underground performances that I never new existed, saved for another occasion.

On the other side of the coin Apple have been pushing Taylor Swift very hard, I tried the new 'Pop' album and some of here older material, garbage the lot of it.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Nice to have you back! - it's not been the same.

Strokin' the ho Vlad? - lucky you! Hope no-one spotted you!.

DDC - Moody Blues - Question of Balance - great album in its day. Some tracks still so good. Title track and Melancholy man in particular (inmho).

cheers Tonky

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
'Stroking the ho' means playing with your phone in Japan. ID got it sureley.

初耳だけど。

スマホをいじる?

But the abbreviation ho for phone is only used in the abbreviation of smartphone to sumaho as far as I've heard.

I just presumed it was strumpet related.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts