Less than thrilled...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear readers,

I'm still searching for a home theater speaker package and a/v receiver worthy of my brilliant Pioneer TV and blu-ray player. :)

I recently listened to a demonstration of the Dali Lektor 6 5.1 speaker package with both Denon 1910 and 2310 receivers. I used a store reference CD for music (using only the pair of floorstanders) and the Wolverine blu-ray for the movie. The floorstanders along with the center sounded superb. I thought the surrounds were a bit weak, but adjusting the volume higher on them made them sound fine. I was less than thrilled with the subwoofer sound. Crossover was set at 80, but it seemed as if I was hearing stronger bass from the floorstanders than the subwoofer (a very faint rumble). The Dali IKON 6 package was not available for demo, but could be ordered at about 300 pounds more than the Lektor package.

Does anyone know if the Dali IKON subwoofer outputs significantly stronger bass
than the Lektor, or should I look for a subwoofer from a different firm?

Or could it be the Denons that were not producing the bass output that I expected, and I need to use a different firm's receiver?

BTW, I'm prepared to part with around 2500 - 3000 pounds for the speaker package and receiver.

Regards and thanks,
Johnny

A

Anonymous

May i suggest a listen to the tannoy signature package also for that money.

A

Anonymous

I heard some M&K systems the other day.

The M-7 package sounded fantastic for movies. Well worth a listen and would leave you about £1k (after haggling) for the reciever. In comparison a B&W MT30 setup I auditioned earlier left me a bit cold though this may have beeen down to the dealer's setup (more interested in suggesting £10k worth of speakers than spending time maximising what we were demoing).

But on what I heard, the M-7 annihilated the MT-30.

A

Anonymous

Dear Gander,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I haven't found a store in the area that has the Tannoy kit.

I'm interested if people that have heard Denon/Dali think the Denon receiver, or the Dali Sub, or the combination of both is the problem with the bass output.

I take it from your response that you think the problem may be the Dali Sub.

Thanks and regards,

Johnny

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to second scowl on this one - the M&K's are purely designed for movies, and tend to leave ANY 'lifestyle' package standing, and most, if not all, other 5.1 hi-fi speaker packages too. The choice of sub here will be important, but either the KX12 or SB1250 should be enough for most people.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Moving up to the Ikons or the Ikon sub will give you a lot more control on the bass but depending on the sound you are after an amp with more push may be worth considering.

For a really punchy upfront sound try an Onkyo amplifier and if you are looking for a bit more refinement with the stereo sound the SC-LX amplifiers from Pioneer work an absolute treat with the Dali sound.

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre:
Moving up to the Ikons or the Ikon sub will give you a lot more control on the bass but depending on the sound you are after an amp with more push may be worth considering.

For a really punchy upfront sound try an Onkyo amplifier and if you are looking for a bit more refinement with the stereo sound the SC-LX amplifiers from Pioneer work an absolute treat with the Dali sound.

Dear responders,

My apologies for not being able to respond sooner, but illnesses in the family superseded my interest in this topic.

Based on the appreciated replies and suggestions thus far, I've made an effort to locate a Pioneer SC LX-81. I realize it only was given a 4 star What-HiFi rating, but it appears as if I may be able to get one for about 1300 pounds. That would stretch the budget a bit if I were to get the Dali IKON 6 ensemble, since I was able to find it priced around 2100 pounds. I wonder if the Onkyo 905 at around 1000 pounds would be an able match for the IKONs? My listening ratio is about 80/20 Film/Music.

Regards,

Johnny

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The 905 is a fantastic home cinema amp and worthy of an audition, though £1,000 seems a bit expensive considering I'm guessing it must be a refurb / secondhand - I got mine new for £1,100 and that was about a year and a half ago.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Johnny_C:I wonder if the Onkyo 905 at around 1000 pounds would be an able match for the IKONs? My listening ratio is about 80/20 Film/Music.

As has been said, £1000 is way too expensive for a 905, I paid £899 for a new one from Richer Sounds last year.

The 905 replaced my non-HDMI Pioneer VSX-A5i home cinema amp and was a little disappointing by comparison. Obviously the the Onkyo could decode HD audio whereas the Pioneer couldn't, but in terms of sound quality, the Pioneer was far more satisfying. As your main listening is movies, the 905's sound probably won't be so much of an issue, but I can't help thinking you must be able to get better for a £1000.

In respect to bass handling, I've found my Yamaha Z7 to do a far better job with bass than my previous Arcam AVR600. Keeping the bass levels with my speakers at low volume levels where the Arcam seemed to give up. The Yamaha RXV3900 can now be had for just under a grand, I'd definately go for that over a 905.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

The 905 is a fantastic home cinema amp
and worthy of an audition, though £1,000 seems a bit expensive
considering I'm guessing it must be a refurb / secondhand - I got mine
new for £1,100 and that was about a year and a half ago.

pete321:

As has been said, £1000 is way too expensive for a 905, I paid £899 for a new one from Richer Sounds last year.

The Yamaha RXV3900 can now be had for just under a grand, I'd definately go for that over a 905.

Dear Professor and Pete,

Thanks for your learned replies. I guess I'll keep looking. The Onkyo 905 priced at 1000 is definitely new, but sounds like I could be getting a better deal, or perhaps the 905 is holding its price well due to its quality? At any rate, if I can find it at a lower price somewhere, it would be great. I have heard that the Onkyo receivers pack quite a punch since the 875s, but from various posts, I've also have heard they run very hot. I'd go for the Yamaha if I could find it a lower price (nothing less than 1300 in my area). Or, I guess if I wait long enough, I'll be able to afford the Pioneer LX81, which would probably be a good match for my Kuro. :) In any case, looks like I've decided on the Dali IKONs :), now all I need is the receiver.

By the way, I had previously auditioned the B&W 685 and 684 theater package and between those preferred the 684's, but I preferred the Dali LEKTOR fronts over the B&Ws (the Dali's clarity was superior to my ears), so I imagine the IKONs won't disappoint.

Thanks again,

Johnny C.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Johnny_C: I'd go for the Yamaha if I could find it a lower price (nothing less than 1300 in my area).

Try HERE, they're a well established company.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts