Left Channel Sound Pickup, Rega Cart

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

Thought this problem went away, now it's back. Cart isn't picking up signals for the left channel, I know it's the stylus, because I can remedy it by pushing the cart slightly and carefully to the left.
The cart is a Rega Elys 2, 3 bolt mount, so I doubt it's the alignment.

Any thoughts?

The Rega in the title is purely for Darwin's benefit.

I believe that Rega, aside from the Carbon model, don’t do replacement styli. That’s pretty unusual in my experience. Presumably that means there is nothing moveable, at least not intentionally. Therefore it’s either faulty, or your tweaking it makes a connection to the headshell leads that isn’t visible.

nopiano said:
I believe that Rega, aside from the Carbon model, don’t do replacement styli. That’s pretty unusual in my experience. Presumably that means there is nothing moveable, at least not intentionally. Therefore it’s either faulty, or your tweaking it makes a connection to the headshell leads that isn’t visible.

Personally I would check the tightness of the connections on the rear of the cartridge itself.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
priam said:
Hi all

Thought this problem went away, now it's back. Cart isn't picking up signals for the left channel, I know it's the stylus, because I can remedy it by pushing the cart slightly and carefully to the left. The cart is a Rega Elys 2, 3 bolt mount, so I doubt it's the alignment.

Any thoughts?

The Rega in the title is purely for Darwin's benefit.

As mentioned, if it changes when prodded then something is loose somewhere !

Check inner tonearm cables where they crimp onto the back of the cart.

You can also check the internal wiring of the cart with a multimeter / dvm.

You should have a matching resistance over +L- and +R-, but should measure zero over L+R and L-R.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
... which, call me crazy, seemed to give the record more contact with the grooves ...

The record contains the grooves. The grooves are stamped into the record. How can it have more (or less) contact with something stamped into itself?

I really don’t get it.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Fixed the problem. A new subplatter which, call me crazy, seemed to give the stylus more contact with the grooves, and a clamp, which muted weird fuzz.

One happy listener.

edit: stylus to groove

priam said:
Fixed the problem. A new subplatter which, call me crazy, seemed to give the stylus more contact with the grooves, and a clamp, which muted weird fuzz.

One happy listener.

edit: stylus to groove

It's extremely odd that a new subplatter is going to fix a connection problem. Very puzzled.

The only thing thats give a stylus more contact with the grooves is correct alignment and downforce, changing part of the turntables rotating items isn't going to do that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts