Leema Xero

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi ,I have decided to change my speakers acoustic energy aelite 3 s to Leema xero has anybody listened to these with the pulse amp .I found my floorstanders were too low bass heavy for my liking .I wanted more detail in the midrange and less bass .my listening room is 4 meters wide by 8 meters long .light to mid furnished .my Leema xero won't be here for another 10 days .will the xeros be an upgrade on what i have or will it be about the same level of midrange detail as the ae 3 .both were 750 when new .
Sorry if im waffling I always get excited .just wanted some insight on these while I have my 10 day wait.

Also want to list my floorstanders on ebay in the meantime.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I can't compare to your existing speakers as I haven't heard them, but I have the xero's and love them. I run them from a Cyrus 8xpd qx currently fed from my sonos zp90 and am very happy. I heard them run by the leema pulse III when I was chosing speakers and the two sound great together, I don't think you will be disappointed. I would say that they should fit your requirements of less bass and more midrange detail, as in my opinion they are incredibly detailed in the midrange, but sweet and not harsh or bright at all. They aren't bass light considering how small they are, but you may find them quite different if you are using floor standard currently.

Let us know what you think of the combo when they arrive!

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply gregvet I will let you know when they turn up.I am not expecting them to fill the room with sound like my floorstanders.but I am willing to sacrifice that for more detail.do they present a pretty descent 3d soundstage or are they quite boxed in .I got them for 250 quid so I m sure they will be well worth the money i paid for them .

A

Anonymous

Hi, where did you manage to get them for that money?

Matt

damonster said:
Thanks for the reply gregvet I will let you know when they turn up.I am not expecting them to fill the room with sound like my floorstanders.but I am willing to sacrifice that for more detail.do they present a pretty descent 3d soundstage or are they quite boxed in .I got them for 250 quid so I m sure they will be well worth the money i paid for them .

Although not heard the Leema speakers, going by reviews they are lashed with detail. Good luck, they may suit your tastes and may not.

A

Anonymous

Must have been the only pair.

Looking forward to your feedback on them.

Matt

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
damonster said:

For £250 I don't see how you can be disappointed. I paid £399 and was/am very happy.

I wouldn't say they present the widest soundstage of any speaker I have heard, but they are not bad in that respect. Their strengths IMO are timing and detail, with a lovely, expressive midrange.

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have the xero and leema pulse amp and they sound great together I have a fairly small listening room (the spare bedroom) and the bass it very good for a speaker of its size lovely mid range also.

And when I added the pulse with the extra power over my old valve amp they sounded so much better at low volumes.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
damonster said:
Hi ,I have decided to change my speakers acoustic energy aelite 3 s to Leema xero has anybody listened to these with the pulse amp .I found my floorstanders were too low bass heavy for my liking .I wanted more detail in the midrange and less bass .my listening room is 4 meters wide by 8 meters long .light to mid furnished .my Leema xero won't be here for another 10 days .will the xeros be an upgrade on what i have or will it be about the same level of midrange detail as the ae 3 .both were 750 when new . Sorry if im waffling I always get excited .just wanted some insight on these while I have my 10 day wait. Also want to list my floorstanders on ebay in the meantime.

Think they will definitely be an upgrade, I myself found the AE's too muddy. However, I am not sure that you will get the same sense of scale in the music. I went from bookshelves to floorstanders and think it'll be impossible for me to go back. Although, I miss the sheer timing talents of bookshelves, the musicality at low and high volumes are much better. You do not have to crank the music up on floorstanders for them to open up. One more thing to consider is speaker stands, make sure they are at or above ear level, otherwise bookshelves sound rubbish. All that said, bookshelves have certain talents that even the best floorstanders hardly ever match, mainly agility. I hope you enjoy your speakers....have certainly heard good things about them....let us know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Shafin

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
damonster said:
Hi ,I have decided to change my speakers acoustic energy aelite 3 s to Leema xero has anybody listened to these with the pulse amp .I found my floorstanders were too low bass heavy for my liking .I wanted more detail in the midrange and less bass .my listening room is 4 meters wide by 8 meters long .light to mid furnished .my Leema xero won't be here for another 10 days .will the xeros be an upgrade on what i have or will it be about the same level of midrange detail as the ae 3 .both were 750 when new . Sorry if im waffling I always get excited .just wanted some insight on these while I have my 10 day wait. Also want to list my floorstanders on ebay in the meantime.

Think they will definitely be an upgrade, I myself found the AE's too muddy. However, I am not sure that you will get the same sense of scale in the music. I went from bookshelves to floorstanders and think it'll be impossible for me to go back. Although, I miss the sheer timing talents of bookshelves, the musicality at low and high volumes are much better. You do not have to crank the music up on floorstanders for them to open up. One more thing to consider is speaker stands, make sure they are at or above ear level, otherwise bookshelves sound rubbish. All that said, bookshelves have certain talents that even the best floorstanders hardly ever match, mainly agility. I hope you enjoy your speakers....have certainly heard good things about them....let us know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Shafin

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the information shaf and macipod speakers might be here by friday.I will wait till they get here before I order speaker stands.while I'm on the subject do stands really make a difference to sound quality ,Do different makes of stands and weights really make that much difference to the way speakers perform .or will any dedicated stand pretty much do the same thing ?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
damonster said:
Thanks for the information shaf and macipod speakers might be here by friday.I will wait till they get here before I order speaker stands.while I'm on the subject do stands really make a difference to sound quality ,Do different makes of stands and weights really make that much difference to the way speakers perform .or will any dedicated stand pretty much do the same thing ?
Hell yeah they make a lot of difference, a stand should be tall enough to put the speakers at or above ear level which will inturn affect the soundstaging. The job of stands is to decouple the speakers from the floor, expect better bass response and clearer treble, this I believe is not a cable debate-everyone would agree. Different stands also sound different (not a cable debate again). I feel heavier stands deaden the sound more, so if you feel your speakers are too bright then try them on. Lighter stands do less to the treble and bass so if you feel you like the speakers as they are then they are the way to go. I have gotten good results from Mission and Sonus Faber stands, have not tried the usual suspects i.e Atacama. As always audition different stands, I know they seem nothing lke a piece of furniture but believe me, you will hear a jump in sound quality.

A

Anonymous

Well?

Did they arrive?

What's are your first impressions?

Matt

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi ,yes they have arrived Matt.They are a beautiful white gloss ,well built and very compact.My first impressions comparing them to my floorstanders are .They are lightning fast a touch warmer than my Ae3 s .The midrange seems to have more detail also .Compairing the 2, I would say that the ae3 s are very acomplished speakers for the price and have an extended lower bass frequency that the xeros don't have.The xeros give maybe an extra dimension in midrange.Both speakers will bring out the timber qualities on instruments .its hard to describe but the xeros seem to offer about 10 to 15 percent more detail on midrange frequencies .its almost like what the ae3s deliver in the midrange the xeros seem to pinch it by the love handles and stretch it out that bit more.The leemas make up on low range bass by delivering better high range frequencies .so I would say I tend to listen to music a lot with my eyes closed maybe analyse it more than I should.I have not got any stands for my xeros yet so they have been placed awkwardly in my room at the moment ,but listening to Jeff buckley s grace album last night when some extreme high notes were played you could feel them cut the room in two ,being that precise and Sharp.I need to get these speakers on some stands and position them so I can give them a good demo because its hard to measure soundstage at the moment given they are different distances and heights.will let you know more once they are set up .

damonster said:
Hi ,yes they have arrived Matt.They are a beautiful white gloss ,well built and very compact.My first impressions comparing them to my floorstanders are .They are lightning fast a touch warmer than my Ae3 s .The midrange seems to have more detail also .Compairing the 2, I would say that the ae3 s are very acomplished speakers for the price and have an extended lower bass frequency that the xeros don't have.The xeros give maybe an extra dimension in midrange.Both speakers will bring out the timber qualities on instruments .its hard to describe but the xeros seem to offer about 10 to 15 percent more detail on midrange frequencies .its almost like what the ae3s deliver in the midrange the xeros seem to pinch it by the love handles and stretch it out that bit more.The leemas make up on low range bass by delivering better high range frequencies .so I would say I tend to listen to music a lot with my eyes closed maybe analyse it more than I should.I have not got any stands for my xeros yet so they have been placed awkwardly in my room at the moment ,but listening to Jeff buckley s grace album last night when some extreme high notes were played you could feel them cut the room in two ,being that precise and Sharp.I need to get these speakers on some stands and position them so I can give them a good demo because its hard to measure soundstage at the moment given they are different distances and heights.will let you know more once they are set up .

Hi Damonster

Interesting read. Not heard any Leema speakers before, and I know WHFI in a 'One Make' test with the Pulse, Stream and Xeros, they described it as "great for short listening" and commented the tendancy for brightness. Have you noticed any leanings in that direction yet? I know it's early days but...

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi pp ,I used to own Cambridge audio 640 a and 640 c amp and cd player and some morduant short 902i speakers they were definately aired towards bright and shiny .sinse owning the audiolab 8200cd and the Leema pulse (your recomendation ) and the ae3 s I would say this was a very natural setup in comparison.apart from the extended low end bass from the ae3s so I wouldn't commit to saying the xeros were bright compared to the ca setup the xeros seem to focus more on midrange and highs but also deliver a significant amount of bass for their size .they are definatley brighter than my ae3s but if I considered the ae3s to have a slightly muddy bass its quite hard to say they are bright.I know one thing they are deffinatley not bright and shiney.I would love to have a demo of the totem arros just to compare .do I think I have reached hifi nivarna .no .I will be able to make that descision once I've auditioned the arros and the PMC gb1s to put my mind at rest.

damonster said:
Hi pp ,I used to own Cambridge audio 640 a and 640 c amp and cd player and some morduant short 902i speakers they were definately aired towards bright and shiny .sinse owning the audiolab 8200cd and the Leema pulse (your recomendation ) and the ae3 s I would say this was a very natural setup in comparison.apart from the extended low end bass from the ae3s so I wouldn't commit to saying the xeros were bright compared to the ca setup the xeros seem to focus more on midrange and highs but also deliver a significant amount of bass for their size .they are definatley brighter than my ae3s but if I considered the ae3s to have a slightly muddy bass its quite hard to say they are bright.I know one thing they are deffinatley not bright and shiney.I would love to have a demo of the totem arros just to compare .do I think I have reached hifi nivarna .no .I will be able to make that descision once I've auditioned the arros and the PMC gb1s to put my mind at rest.

Cheers for your initial insight. Yup, certainly the Totems I love, and the last time I heard them - back just prior to Xmas - the dealer had a Moon (similar price point to our Leemas), and it seemed quite forward, whereas the Pulse sounded sublime. Likewise, the DB1 were superb.

Harking back to my RS6s, they are one floorstander I've heard the bridges the gap between floorstander and standmount: They are fast and agile with a detailed mid and tweeter, while having the crunch of a traditional floorstander. If your source is fairly laid back, they work so well with the Pulse.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers, pp

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
damonster said:

Cheers for your initial insight. Yup, certainly the Totems I love, and the last time I heard them - back just prior to Xmas - the dealer had a Moon (similar price point to our Leemas), and it seemed quite forward, whereas the Pulse sounded sublime. Likewise, the DB1 were superb.

Harking back to my RS6s, they are one floorstander I've heard the bridges the gap between floorstander and standmount: They are fast and agile with a detailed mid and tweeter, while having the crunch of a traditional floorstander. If your source is fairly laid back, they work so well with the Pulse.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers, pp

You can see I started to wobble a bit on the end of my last post.Too much vodka last night :silenced: went to bed as William Shakespeare woke up this morning as William shatner .Still not as bad as drinking and Facebook after a few pints of truth serum. Ha ha .

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi

congrats :cheers: the leema xeros are so damn good. these gems put a smile on my face every time they play music :grin: mine are here for two years :grin:

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I decided to cut 3 inch ends off my speaker wires the other day to replace the gold plated bridge links on the binding posts of my speakers and was astonished at what a difference it has made to my xeros .the width of the soundstage has gone 3 feet through either side of my living room walls .Music just flows into the room now .imaging is unbelievable symbols sit clearly 5 feet above the kick drum.I sit about 9 feet away from my speakers at ear level .Radiohead in rainbows some of the drumbeats sound as if they are coming from a foot away from my feet at floor level to my left and a foot above my shoulder to my right .firstly. I can't believe the imaging and layers of sound from these little speakers .And secondly.how a small change has made a vast difference.I have spent the last few days trying to prize myself away.I wasn't disappointed before I had tried this ,but now I know why these little speakers were 5 star in reviews .Has anybody else found great gains by doing this .as I had tried this with other speakers with only marginal improvement.

Good to know little adjustments can be so effective. Well done.

I have been tempted by Leemas own speakers, slightly chocked off by the tepid review they received with all-inone test: Pulse, Stream and Xeros.

I have bare wires into the speaker terminals and always try to keep it as short as possible. I would guess from the plastic sleeve there's about 2.5 to 3" of exposed wire.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Good to know little adjustments can be so effective. Well done.

I have been tempted by Leemas own speakers, slightly chocked off by the tepid review they received with all-inone test: Pulse, Stream and Xeros.

I have bare wires into the speaker terminals and always try to keep it as short as possible. I would guess from the plastic sleeve there's about 2.5 to 3" of exposed wire.
No i cut off separate strips and poked them through the holes and then screwed the teminals down then poked banana plugs in ontop of the bridged wire.that worked for me .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts