Leema USB DAC to be demonstrated at Bristol show

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Leema "Essentials USB DAC to be demonstrated at Bristol show"

Anyone at the fair with more info? Size, prize?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The fifth elements: The German tests focus a lot on the hw, compared to British sound focused reviews. Therefore, I have a little hard to get a grip on the sounds character. They are compared to the "Mini Cooper S" compact car, however that can be translated into some kind of sound.

2*56W (8 ohm)

2*75W (4 ohm)

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Elements will be reviewed in HiFi-Choice July, will be interesting to see if it is a hit or miss.

The Elements Phono is already established as a class amplifier.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
My Elements DAC arrived last week and I am very happy with it. It's connected via USB to my iMac. It has revealed detail in my favourite music that I hadn't noticed before and it has added depth and height to the soundstage.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I've tried a variety of different genres of music from classical to dance and they've all been great. I should point out that the music is all ripped to Apple Lossless.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Saw Leema today in Munich - they say the Elements DAC is flying. Rightly so, from the listen I had!

They also previewed an Elements Power Amplifier, plus confirmed they're bringing back the Xen speaker, due to popular demand.

Company is thriving in UK and abroad - great news for a British brand :)

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Leema seems to be strong in the German / Dutch market. Probably wise to find a market in Europe. I understand that Audiolab MDAC is using class A amps to heighten the sound, but have yet not grasped why the Leema DAC technically should be better than the run of the mill DAC.

And by the way, don't miss the 2012 Ice Hockey World Championship in Finland / Sweden!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Mallory from Leema gave me a brilliant technical explanation why their DAC is special; short story: very complex design. I will encourage him to blog something on their site, if it isn't already!

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Erm, more DACS/less DACS, complicated/simple. No idea, have no knowledge of electronics but the question in my mind is "what does it sound like?" Is it worth buying over other makes?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They used a number of DAC's in their CD players and even the cheaper ones I think use 2 pairs or something like that with one pair in dual differential configuration I believe.

More complex is not always better. I can't comment on sound on any of the above but when one of Leema's players was measured it was below what is possible with todays technology. As it happens, in the subjective listening test it fared very well. It leads me to believe there was some deliberate engineering to make it sound the way it did, rightly or wrongly but it was not as accurate as others. Oddly enough, the same result in one of the mags for the Audiolab CD player. Seems that complexity does not equal good measurement which in turn does not equal bad sound but it seems removed of what is possible technically with these chips.

Leema's unique selling point for their digital sources/DAC's just happens to be the use of multiple DAC's. I really dont know if that technically adds anything that can't be achieved with a far simpler solution, especially as modern DAC boards have been quoted as being very good the way they come.

Other manufacturers use different topologies. They all have their own take but I like the look of Leemas more expensive products if that counts.

regards

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
:doh: Err, sorry, silly me. It was rather late last night when I wrote that and I was just chilled out a bit too much listening to music when I should have been in bed trying to go to sleep by counting DACs jumping over electronic gates.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MikeToll said:
:doh: Err, sorry, silly me. It was rather late last night when I wrote that and I was just chilled out a bit too much listening to music when I should have been in bed trying to go to sleep by counting DACs jumping over electronic gates.

See what a good nights sleep can do? - Now you're seeing sense.

regards

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hobnobbing aside, the CEntrance DAC uses a DAC from Japanese Asahi Kasei which, as an example, has an interesting design. The sound of that DAC also have good reviews (Stereophile). Neat (Accoustics) is the word, if sound is compared to measured graphs.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Audio.de 4/12 had a group test with DACMAGIC Plus, Audiolab M-DAC and the Leema Elements DAC. The Elements DAC scale of the presentation of the music made it the winner of the bunch.

TRENDING THREADS