Leema Pulse IV

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
A new Pulse.

80 watts/ch, MM/MC Phono stage, 7 digital ins plus AptX.

£2295

Looks good even though it does not have the 'LED ring' of old anymore.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It looks quite expensive for what it does with only an 80 watt output and some of the items of the elements range which is has in it, are not quite as full spec and as good as the full width Leema stuff from what I’ve read of reviews. You might get one and as it will be assumed you are buying it for good speakers, you then might be looking to upgrade it again.

Id much rather save and get the Tucana 2 or Tucana 2 anniversary intergrated with double the power, which are a fantastic family of amplifiers which I’ve heard before a number of times.

can you upgrade leema amps so pretty much whatever the cost of the new amp is above the old one, is the upgrade price? This is a good thing with Cyrus and keeps you upgrading. Katching for them. The problem with an expensive intergrated becomes if you buy a new one in the range and you can’t upgrade eg this pulse versus a Tucana, you’ve pretty much lost most of your money on depreciation if you’ve had the pulse for a while, and you’ve got to start again spending £5k on the Tucana.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
£5k is for the Anniversary. The Tucana 2 is 4 grand.

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying and somewhat agree there is a substantial price difference between the Pulse and Tucana.

Not everyone feels the need to constantly upgrade and not everyone has the additional £2k or thereabouts, not taking discounts etc into consideration.

As to value of the new Pulse, I really don't know. It seems to be comparable to some other, similar amps, Hegel Rost to name one.

There are cheaper amplifiers such as from NAD and some others that do similar for less but then you can always say that about most products of premium manufacturers.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

the way I’d look at it is if you could get a leema Tucana 2 for £3600 (non anniversary) with dealer discount, and you could sell an amp for maybe £600 for arguments sake, you are only £800 off what you would be paying for the pulse without a discount, which through a bit of extra saving would be a much better bet. Factoring in part ex and dealer discounts, the more expensive model becomes a closer reality. That’s how I’ve always bought.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree but then you probably get a dealer discount on the Pulse plus trade in ... . :)

Not everyone can afford the best (including me).

insider9

drummerman said:
Agree but then you probably get a dealer discount on the Pulse plus trade in ... .  :)

Not everyone can afford the best (including me).
I was about to say the same thing. Truth is you can always look at the next best thing or up the range and never be quite happy.

In reality if someone would prefer the Tucana they can pick one up second hand for less than Pulse IV.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes, so horses for courses , but off course the more you spend the more you can loose out in depreciation (and if you keep upgrading too because you aren’t keeping stuff for as long), so there would be that disadvantage of the Tucana i grant you.

but this thing about which firms do in box upgrades is a huge thing to save money. Maybe I should start a new thread. Sorry for going off the subject a bit but this illustrates my point. When I bought my dac xp signature pre/dac which retails for £3k, I bought an obsolete used dac x signature for £500 (originally retailed for £1750). I tried it for a bit with my pre dac, but the upgrade price to dac xp signature was £1k with a good dealer discount. So I’ve paid £1500. When I get to the dealer to pick it up cyrus haven’t done an in casting upgrade (ie using original case, which they do on some upgrades) but have done a ‘new box swap’ upgrade which is what they did with their half price cd upgrade offer last year. So I’ve got a brand new dac xp signature for half price and have a huge grin on my face at the dealer. The fact I sold my other pre for £500 it was only a £1k upgrade. You may have heard me say this before so sorry if repeating myself.

I was talking to a Leema dealer just prior to buying the Tucana MKII and he said the new Pulse is an improvement on the my old one. But because it's geared towards the digital user, it had no interest for me: All my sources are analogue.

Whether it's worth the money will come down to, I suppose, if you like the Leema signature -- and if you more digitally driven.

drummerman said:
A new Pulse.

£2295

Hi drummerman

The recent release of the new Pulse IV tied in just nicely with us having taking on Lemma Acoustics *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

drummerman said:
As to value of the new Pulse, I really don't know. It seems to be comparable to some other, similar amps, Hegel Rost to name one.

Hi drummerman

Funnily enough this week we’ve got a demo of the Pulse IV v the Rost.

Btw, love the Tucana MK2 Anniversary *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
drummerman said:

Hi drummerman

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Would be interesting to hear your take on it.

drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
drummerman said:

Hi drummerman

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Would be interesting to hear your take on it.

Hi drummerman

Ok *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Rob G said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
It looks quite expensive for what it does with only an 80 watt output

So class A or valve Amps are bad value for money?

There are watts and then there's Naim watts, and then I suppose there's Leema watts. Yes of course 80 watts doesn't tell the full story, but I also agree with Quest that for £2295 many might be put off by the 80 watts figure. For similar money you can get 100 watts plus phono stage and dac features (although many will be 2 units I admit).

A good demo would provide the answers but you won't find Leema in many dealer's.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
A new Pulse.

£2295

Mmmm. Cost cutting. That central screen simplifies things a lot, just like in the new Nord integrated amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts