Leema Pulse III v Roksan Kandy K2

Leema Pulse - no question.

For some reason (I've no idea why) the Roksan Kandy LIII was lovely with MAs but could veer on the boistrous side. The K2 - albeit a multi-award winning amp - is, to my ears, warmer (and more refined) and lacks a boyish verve of the LIII (the K2 is technically better), thus isn't suited to RX6s like the LIII and Leema, which has immensely tight bass. This is all unproven, my ears alone.

(I'm polishing up my tin helmet, cause I know I'll receive stick for stating that).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that PP.

I have taken the plunge and ordered the Leema Pulse III, Audiolab 8200CD and Sonas ZP90 (which will be hardwired to my router).

The shop has said that I can buy the amp, run it for a week and if I don't like it they will take it back and refund my money with no quibbles. They said to bear in mind that the Leema will take some running in!

Markvh said:
Thanks for that PP.

I have taken the plunge and ordered the Leema Pulse III, Audiolab 8200CD and Sonas ZP90 (which will be hardwired to my router).

The shop has said that I can buy the amp, run it for a week and if I don't like it they will take it back and refund my money with no quibbles. They said to bear in mind that the Leema will take some running in!

Well done. Should be a great sounding amp - not much difference from my MKII Pulse (and RS6s).

(You've dug me out of a large hole);)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Markvh said:
Thanks for that PP.

Well done. Should be a great sounding amp - not much difference from my MKII Pulse (and RS6s).

(You've dug me out of a large hole);)

Got one more member in the Leema family :clap:

A

Anonymous

Leema Pulse III amp now burnt in. All sounds great with Audiolab 8200CD, MA RX6 speakers. Music sounds really good, even playing uncompressed files through Sonas. I'm very happy.

I would like to thank Simon and Rob at Sevenoaks in Sherwood, Nottingham for their patient and enthusiastic superb customer service yet again. I will be back soon.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Markvh: Good to have heard that you love the SQ of Leema :bounce:

You mentioned you have burnt in the amplifier and fyi according to Leema the burnt in time requires about 50 hrs.

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's correct. I spoke to Leema, who advised 100 hours for burn in. The system has been left running continuously playing my music library at a low volume day and night. I can't believe the difference in SQ from when I first got the amp. I thought all this burn in time talk was kidology!

Now to burn in the CDP. Then I have to decide which DAC sound I prefer for Sonos play, the Leema or the Audiolab!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your new amp Mark. :cheers:

Off topic a bit: I noticed Leema Pulse gets compared to the Kandy K2 a lot online (the old K2 for that matter, theres a new one with Bluetooth DAC done by Burmester). They have a price gap (almost 600 pounds) making the Roksan Caspian M2 and the Naim Nait XS2 more suited options to compare to. :? Apples and oranges? Or is it like picking a German car, you know its going to be immaculate build at any price range and you'll be chuffed not knowing what isn't there?

Cheers gang.

:wave:

Vladimir said:
Off topic a bit: I noticed Leema Pulse gets compared to the Kandy K2 a lot online (the old K2 for that matter, theres a new one with Bluetooth DAC done by Burmester). They have a price gap (almost 600 pounds) making the Roksan Caspian M2 and the Naim Nait XS2 more suited options to compare to. :? Apples and oranges? Or is it like picking a German car, you know its going to be immaculate build at any price range and you'll be chuffed not knowing what isn't there?

I've not heard/read where the K2 is compared with the Pulse anymore than other amps.

In Isolation their isn't much between the two. But go for a proper audition and compare both with same speakers and there is an audible gap, as there is between the K2 and the XS and Caspian.

Having spent nearly two years upgrading from the Arcam (and heard most of the well-known amps available), I still say there's little better than the Pulse anywhere near that money.

TBH, I would not change the Pulse for anything below 2k, purely because the sort of amp needed would take a fair chunk more to give the upgrade I would be looking for (think more like Leema Tucana, Levardin Reference...)

BTW, the thread is nearly 3 years old.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You are so alpha male about your Leemas Mr. Penguin. ;)

Regarding the new Kandy you would be generaly right except in this case. The amp is actually based on the stereo power amplifier and upgraded the volume potentiometer, the signal relays, added regulated power rail, differently wound Noratel trafo (50VA more), resulting in more power (175WPC RMS before clipping) and cleaner sound. Not to mention there is the awesome Apt-X Blutooth 4.0 integrated DAC by Burmester originally developed for the Oxygene range. And a new remote. And quality of build is improved. :grin:

Care for some actual marketing?

http://awards.whathifi.com/awards/2013/stereo-amplifiers

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi-amplifiers

I see no Leema's in those lists. Actually the 4 star Leema Pulse III has this comentary in its review:

AGAINST

Lacks quality feel

sonic precision

Some shortfalls

Judged by the highest standards (at this price), there are slight shortfalls in outright transparency and rhythmic precision, but nothing that goes as far as spoiling the final result.

We're less taken with the amp's new look and feel. Appearance is a matter of taste, but the cheap feel of the front panel control buttons should be better for the money. That said, the Pulse III is a strong performer.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-iii

Leema offers best amps under £2K? :? What Hi-Fi would disagree apparently.

I'm just saying spend other people's money more responsibly next time. When they ask should they buy a Leema Pulse III or a Roksan Kandy K2 do advise them they are 600 pounds appart and the fair game should be the Pulse III pitted against the Nait XS, Cyrus 8 and the Caspian M2.

Its expected by a senior member of the community to control his fanboy urges and give an objective advise, as well as not make general statements like the marketing one on the new Kandy K2 BT. You had the chance to read my review about the new Kandy yet you just chattered about Leema again and again uncontrolably, missing the actual info I presented showing the upgrades of the new BT edition in details. :roll:

Shame on you young man/penguin. ;)

Cheerio.

Vladimir said:
You are so alpha male about your Leemas Mr. Penguin. ;)

Regarding the new Kandy you would be generaly right except in this case. The amp is actually based on the stereo power amplifier and upgraded the volume potentiometer, the signal relays, added regulated power rail, differently wound Noratel trafo (50VA more), resulting in more power (175WPC RMS before clipping) and cleaner sound. Not to mention there is the awesome Apt-X Blutooth 4.0 integrated DAC by Burmester originally developed for the Oxygene range. And a new remote. And quality of build is improved. :grin:

Care for some actual marketing?

http://awards.whathifi.com/awards/2013/stereo-amplifiers

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi-amplifiers

I see no Leema's in those lists. Actually the 4 star Leema Pulse III has this comentary in its review:

AGAINST

Lacks quality feel

sonic precision

Some shortfalls

Judged by the highest standards (at this price), there are slight shortfalls in outright transparency and rhythmic precision, but nothing that goes as far as spoiling the final result.

We're less taken with the amp's new look and feel. Appearance is a matter of taste, but the cheap feel of the front panel control buttons should be better for the money. That said, the Pulse III is a strong performer.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-iii

Leema offers best amps under £2K? :? What Hi-Fi would disagree apparently.

I'm just saying spend other people's money more responsibly next time. When they ask should they buy a Leema Pulse III or a Roksan Kandy K2 do advise them they are 600 pounds appart and the fair game should be the Pulse III pitted against the Nait XS, Cyrus 8 and the Caspian M2.

Its expected by a senior member of the community to control his fanboy urges and give an objective advise, as well as not make general statements like the marketing one on the new Kandy K2 BT. You had the chance to read my review about the new Kandy yet you just chattered about Leema again and again uncontrolably, missing the actual info I presented showing the upgrades of the new BT edition in details. :roll:

Shame on you young man/penguin. ;)

Cheerio.

That old " no awards, so it can't be any good" chestnut.

FWIW, Ketan said, since the review of the MKIII, the main issue was the Dac....

I've not heard the MKIII, mainly because it is fugly... Leema dropped a biggun with the design.

In terms of SQ (My MKI) is still a staggering piece of kit. And the only time I've recommended my Leema is when someone has considered a K2 at £750, a ex-dem or S/hand Pulse (my version) was selling, from dealers at £600-£700. Considering it retailed at around £1280, I know where my money would, and indeed, has gone. Plus the K2's looks are orrible: Too many chromey bits. Very old fashioned.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
FWIW, Ketan said, since the review of the MKIII, the main issue was the Dac....
You've just reminded me that he never did come back to explain how the Mk III's DAC suddenly went from:

The on-board 24bit/192kHz DAC is a good one, producing fine results with a range of low-compression files from our Apple MacBook.

to

It's been a while since we tested the Pulse III, but from memory I'd say the on-board DAC would be comfortably bettered by the likes of Arcam's rDAC.

Bearing in mind that the rDac existed at the time the Mk III was reviewed, I find the two statements rather hard to reconcile. And just one of the reasons I hold WHF's reviews in contempt.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Worth noting that Leema Electro Acoustics Limited announced a meeting of creditors for 29th January this year ...

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60766/notices/1985002/single-issue

... since then they have changed the registered company name to 'Lea (Realisations Limited' and are now registered in Stoke-On-Trent at the address of an insolvency practice called ipd and their company status is listed as 'liquidation'.

This might have some bearing on future product support and should be considered, especially if thinking of making a £1500 purchase.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
The Leema name seems to have been assumed by a company previously known as Sirius Audio in Shropshire, but I can't find any record of them other than a company of the same name in Surrey that ceased in 2009. All very odd.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//compdetails

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
The Leema name seems to have been assumed by a company previously known as Sirius Audio in Shropshire, but I can't find any record of them other than a company of the same name in Surrey that ceased in 2009. All very odd.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//compdetails

Sirius Audio was registered on 7th Feb this year and the given address of it's two directors is just a short walk away from Leema Acoustic's factory in Welshpool - on the same trading estate - at the premises of Davlec Ltd. (Dairy farm control equipment, knitting machine, cables, metrology, automotive and hi-fi amongst other things.)

The MD (and daughter of Davlec Ltd's founder) Nia Mosse is also now MD of Sirius / Leema Acoustics. I can only guess they bought out Leema from insolvency and (hopefully) their products will continue to be made and their workforce employed.

Vladimir said:
Wow chebby you don't mess arround. Full forensics! :cheer:

Well, if that's the best you can do to get one over Leema, you must lead a sad life.

I love Triumph and Reliant Scimitar cars, which went out of business decades ago... so what: Companies are still producing bodyshells and ALL the parts.

So Leema have gone, as did Sansui a few months ago but someone else has picked up the baton...

C'est la vie.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
Wow chebby you don't mess arround. Full forensics! :cheer:

Well, if that's the best you can do to get one over Leema, you must lead a sad life.

I love Triumph and Reliant Scimitar cars, which went out of business decades ago... so what: Companies are still producing bodyshells and ALL the parts.

So Leema have gone, as did Sansui a few months ago but someone else has picked up the baton...

C'est la vie.

Dude relax. Leema hasn't gone, they just shifted capital, pushed some papers arround. They are still the same operation.

You thinking my life is sad just saddens me. :cry:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

You make it seem like I was responsible for their financial troubles :) (And not only that, but scuppered them just to annoy you!)

I wish all success to anyone who can rebuild Leema and I hope they can thrive again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts