Leema Pulse II - now just have to wait :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have had the pulse for a couple of days connected the leema xero speakers and it sounds superb...you won't regret it so much better than my icon audio valve amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
macipod said:
Hi,

I have had the pulse for a couple of days connected the leema xero speakers and it sounds superb...you won't regret it so much better than my icon audio valve amp.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the Icon amp?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
macipod said:
Stereo 40i

Thanks. Nice amp, but mightn't be the best to drive the Xones, which have a sensitivity of 85.5 db, and a nominal impedance of 6 Ohms. Also Pulse would be better with certain types of music.

I think the Icon would be great with something like the Audio Note AX-1.

Just thinking out loud

Cno

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, with the pre-outs it will be definitely tidier, but sound-qualitywise , I don`t know. I`ll have to read about that a little bit. But if it turns out that it will be better that way, I won`t stop till I get the best of it :)

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi,macipod, that`s brilliant news....Glad you enjoy it. I`ve been thinking the last two days about the Xone of Leema... They look delicious to me....and probably will sound great with their very own Leema amps..... But buying a new pair of speakers is not a great option for me now . First, I need to see why WHF Magazine had labeled the M.Short Mezzo 6 " possibly the best in their class " . And the Leema is likely to help me with that :)

A

Anonymous

Hi there!

Just bought one a few days ago.

I'm amazed with the sound, very good, but is a thing that immediately i see as possible a "bug".
It's supposed when the AV Direct is selected the volume rise to a pre-set level.
It's not working!
Selecting the AV input, the amp resets the volume to a low level as it does with the other inputs, then, just keep it... No rise at all... (unless i turn it up, of course)

First, i've spended some time trying to see all what i can, the handbook and the Internet...

After, i ask the store (London) from where i got it.

The answer:

"Regarding the AV Direct option, this is something that they have to engage at the factory and it does not operate in this mode as standard. I’m really sorry but this means that the amplifier has to be returned to Leema if you want the AV Direct function to operate this way as they open the top and re-programme the amplifier to keep the volume on this input at a fixed level."

The seller is a realy nice guy and very helpfull, but i'm a litle suspicious because i don't know if he is sure about that.

The true is that after an exhaustive internet search i don't found nothing relacted to this.

And it sound a litle strange to me!!!

I contacted Leema too, but they just don't answer until now.

Can somebody help me, please?

(Sorry my english)

Thanks...

AJMG

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Sounds about right. I have a Pulse III (that does raise the volume on AV) & asked Leema about disabling the auto level setting on all inputs, as it makes A/B comaprisons nigh impossible. I got the same answer in that it can be done but requires software programming in the factory.

Also in my experience, the only way to get anywhere with Leema is via the telephone. Their web site is one of the worst in the industry & they seem to routinely ignore e-mails, whether sent direct or via the web site. Maybe comms is also part of the BBC heritage. I wonder if they have telex?

Edit - I believe they're also in the process of relocating so that probably doesn't help either.

Edit2 - I've just checked their Contact Us page of their site & there's no phone number there. Apparently one of those companies that feel their customers should earn the right to own one of their products. :roll:

Try +44 1938 811 900

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi

just yesterday tried the av setting so I could use my audiolab M-dac as the pre amp,I too have the same issue

I have to change the volume on dac and amp.

Also do you find your amps tranformer hums quite a bit? Mine just started to have a buzzing noise every now and then even when in standby.

A

Anonymous

i think PP had an issue with buzzing and had to send his back.

Mine doesnt seem to do it.

Also, havent checked the AV setting as my AVR doesnt have AV out

A

Anonymous

Hehehe...

If i knew, i had already registered here to ask this question. LOL

Just received the answer from Leema. As you said, it's not a malfunction, but an option.

So, i'll keep it as it is.

Now I will enjoy this great amplifier...

Thank you...

A

Anonymous

The buzzing, mine doesn't seem to do it, but i can confirm it later...

macipod said:
Hi

just yesterday tried the av setting so I could use my audiolab M-dac as the pre amp,I too have the same issue

I have to change the volume on dac and amp.

Also do you find your amps tranformer hums quite a bit? Mine just started to have a buzzing noise every now and then even when in standby.

Mine did, but not through speakers. You could only hear a heavyish 'hum' (L/H channel) on headphones.

A

Anonymous

Hi!

About the buzzing, is it like a "whistle" increasing with the sound volume from the speakers?

Thanks...

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi

The buzz is intermittent comes from tranformer sometimes in standby and when in use,funny I have had it 3 months never had this problem before so I contacted leema via email and got this response.

Hi Luke, This is normal and is caused by the quality of the mains supply. You may find it varies with the time of day, due to industrial loads on the mains. Some days you may get no noise, sometimes, if the mains is distorted, it may be worse. Best regards Mallory NichollsLeema Electro Acoustics Ltd.I don't know what to do is it faulty or normal ?Leema did offer to check the amp over.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hiya, Leema Acoustics are in the process of relocating factory , indeed ... They are in the new place already , but still have to catch up with their affairs... The right number to find them at the moment is : 01938-559021.
With regards to the " HUM " or " Buzz" - my one is still very new, but haven`t had such a problem , and I hope It doesn`t appear one day to me too... For now I am simply enjoying the sound it produces and to be honest I just can`t get enough of it. It is stunning little machine :)

Atanas Rangelov said:
Hiya, Leema Acoustics are in the process of relocating factory , indeed ... They are in the new place already , but still have to catch up with their affairs... The right number to find them at the moment is : 01938-559021.

With regards to the " HUM " or " Buzz" - my one is still very new, but haven`t had such a problem , and I hope It doesn`t appear one day to me too... For now I am simply enjoying the sound it produces and to be honest I just can`t get enough of it. It is stunning little machine :)

Nice to hear someone enjoying their machine, rather than looking for potential problems...:)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Atanas Rangelov said:

According to the information from Leema, all of their Leema Pulse II shipped after the X'mas of 2010 had their circuit board modified to get rid of the known humming noise from the phones output.

I previosuly also owned the Pulse II and like some of you found humming noise from the phones. I sent the Pulse II back to Leema for a check up and they found that the problem was due to my earth loop and there there was nothing wrong with the earthing circuitry of the Pulse II which they confirmed to me that it had already been modified. After a few advise from Leema over the telephone on receiving the Pulse I did some elimination work and the earth loop was eventually eliminated. Leema really provides excellent after sale service to their customers (without charge of course !!).

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm completely astounded by these recent posts. It appears that the Leema is NOT the perfect amp after all. This is very disappointing news after reading thousands of posts on here proclaiming it to be the best amp in the history of the world. I feel a bit cheated ..........

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I do enjoy the amp, but it didn`t come without problems for me too. I don`t want to discus it here, but both - the dealer and Leema Acoustic worked really hard to solve it , and now it`s all sorted and I am happy.
The sound is really great . My speakers got suddenly " alive " . Now I can appreciate in fact how good are they. The Pulse drives them superbly. It gets everything out of them. There is so much more authority in the sound now. The lower string and piano notes are vibrating , the voices are clear and the drums are tight and punchy.The bass is very good, indeed ...The Pulse was branded as " lean " - no such a thing with my system , not at all. The only thing that bothers me a bit is : Now there is so much more detail ,that at times I wonder if this is actually natural, I wonder if there are strings like that- so crystal clear ... Even a bit sharp with some CD`s , but that might be down to the quality of the discs , as not present with all of them ...

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Excitable Boy said:
I'm completely astounded by these recent posts. It appears that the Leema is NOT the perfect amp after all. This is very disappointing news after reading thousands of posts on here proclaiming it to be the best amp in the history of the world. I feel a bit cheated ..........

TBH I don't think that is a fair judgement on Leema. The problem was only with the phones output and there is nothing wrong with the main output circuitry. No humming sound at all in speakers. Leema might have overlooked or slipped on their phones circuitry design however it had proved that they would take up the responsibility to solve the problem for you free of charge and had modified all of their Pulse II before shipment after they discovered the problem. What can we expect from such a manufacturer.

Because of my good experience with Leema I have upgraded my amplifier from Pulse II to Tucana II for nearly a year. Trust me the SQ from Tucana II is a different league.

Excitable Boy said:

No one's ever said that the Leema is perfect. Also, as I explained in my previous post, there was a very small number, including mine, that had anything resembling a problem. As inter_voice pointed out Leema's customer service is second to none.

AFAIC, Leema Pulse and [Leema Acoustics] brand overall is unimpeachable below the 2k mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts