Leema Acoustics Antila II & Tucana II - under £1700 - should I?

Nintendologist

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been umm'ing and arr'ing over buying the Leema Acoustics Antila/Tucana combo for a few months, and had the opportunity to hear them a few weeks ago and was extremely impressed. They are selling at £3000ish a box, so this is a huge investment overall, hence why I'm taking some time to save up (read: dust off the credit card :grin: )

I've just seen a second hand set being offered elsewhere here, http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-blu-ray-player-classified-adverts/1817922-sale-leema-acoustics-antila-ii-cd-player-black.html and here http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifier-receiver-classified-adverts/1817917-sale-leema-acoustics-tucana-ii-black.html for £1695 each, being about 3-4 years old. What are people's thoughts - worth it?

I've also noticed that there was a revision of the CDP to a 'IIS ECO' model (which is what I'm guessing I heard recently) - is there a massive difference between the two models (i.e. £1200ish worth)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Never heard the Tucana but I have a Pulse III & love it (well the sound anyway). Someone on here made the upgrade from the original Pulse to Tucana & was very happy with the result. If you search for Tucana you may find the thread. I can't recall any previous discussion of the CDP.

Just one thing to verify, the seller says owned since 2009. I'd check that he was the original owner as I got caught similarly with my speakers from Ebay. He also made a point of "only owned for less than 12 months" but "forgot" to mention that they were used when he bought them. Could make the difference to the amp still being in warranty or not.

Edit: The I think the Tucana II was launched in 2009 so you should be OK for warranty.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have recently bought the latest version of the Antila CDP and all I can say is it's fabulous. I had a few demos of various players, including the Moon 750d at eight grand, and the Leema beat it hands down in my opinion. Really musical, great bass etc etc. Obviously this doesn't help you as you are looking at the earlier version, but I can say I'm that impressed, I'm looking into the Leema pre-powers as we speak, and I love my Lavardin IT.

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend the Antila, Antila II or Antila IIS Eco. I have owned two of the three players and BOTH units have failed with little use! I''d go one step further and say I'd avoid all Leema products based on my own personal experiences of the equipment and the company. See my comment under the review of Antila IIS Eco. It is not good.

steve4232 said:
I wouldn't recommend the Antila, Antila II or Antila IIS Eco. I have owned two of the three players and BOTH units have failed with little use! I''d go one step further and say I'd avoid all Leema products based on my own personal experiences of the equipment and the company. See my comment under the review of Antila IIS Eco. It is not good.

If you've just come here to slag of a certain maker off it won't work. Anyway, this thread came out in the Autumn of last year.

I've owned the Pulse since 2010 and it's a fabulous product.

I would say go for it at that price. The S Eco was quite an upgrade apparently (if you believe the reviews) although cannot say I have heard it.

Most products of this quality and age could be sold at anything up to 2/3rds of their original list price. If you can get it near half-price then it is a bargain.

I have seen Antilla II CD alone going for £1500

EDIT:- Just reread you original post and now I'm a tad confused. Title says under £1700 then post states £3000 a box. Can you clarify?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
EDIT:- Just reread you original post and now I'm a tad confused. Title says under £1700 then post states £3000 a box. Can you clarify?

As PP said, it's a six month old thread resurrected by someone who has joined the forum for the sole purpose of slagging off Leema.

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how anyone can "know" my intent, apart from me? I have been a lurker and a reader of these forums for quite a while. Yesterday I realised it was easy to sign up and join, so why not? I am currently replacing some of my gear so I am in a mood to discuss Hi-Fi. Is that ok with you?

And yes, I am replacing my Leema Antila IIS Eco for good reason. I'm not a masochist, I just want to be able to enjoy music on a really good reliable system. I don't want component break-down and constant hassle. My CDP is just 15 months old and when it comes back from Leema again, it will be for sale. Any takers?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
steve4232 said:
I am currently replacing some of my gear so I am in a mood to discuss Hi-Fi.

Yet rather than "discuss Hi-Fi" all you've managed is to search out old threads referencing the Antilla so you can slag it & Leema off? :doh:

steve4232 said:
I wonder how anyone can "know" my intent, apart from me? I have been a lurker and a reader of these forums for quite a while. Yesterday I realised it was easy to sign up and join, so why not? I am currently replacing some of my gear so I am in a mood to discuss Hi-Fi. Is that ok with you?

And yes, I am replacing my Leema Antila IIS Eco for good reason. I'm not a masochist, I just want to be able to enjoy music on a really good reliable system. I don't want component break-down and constant hassle. My CDP is just 15 months old and when it comes back from Leema again, it will be for sale. Any takers?

Well, two of your four posts you've slagged off Leema. Most others would come on here and ask for advice on new kit. You haven't as yet...

Crocodile said:
Al ears said:

As PP said, it's a six month old thread resurrected by someone who has joined the forum for the sole purpose of slagging off Leema.

Thanks for clarification crocodile. That will teach me to read threads from the start.

Seems we have more trolls on here than in a Terry Pratchett book.

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
"Well, two of your four posts you've slagged off Leema. Most others would come on here and ask for advice on new kit. You haven't as yet".

Since when has telling the truth about real issues experienced with a company's products been deemed as "slagging off" exactly? As for the second part of your remark, the OP was asking for advice and specifically whether or not members would buy a particular product. Yes, you are correct, I am not currently asking for advice, but I was responding legitimately to someone who was.

As for whether in sound reproduction terms the IIS Eco is better than the II/IIS, I can confirm what Hi-Fi have said in their review, it is MUCH better. It is a different player altogether with new chassis design, different DACS, new power supplies, new transport. It's only similar in a superficial way in as much as it has the same cabinet and remote!

When it is working it is a stunning player. Hopefully the problems I have genuinely experienced with two generations of Antila's is a rare isolated case.

The limitation of hi-fi press reviews is basically that no one can ever predict how reliable any product line will be. It might sound very good but only feedback from long-term customers can provide evidence of reliability. It's the same as new cars, TV's or anything else for that matter.

I bet when What Hi-Fi reviewed the Wharfedale DVD-750S in 2000, no one could have guessed how reliable a very cheap supermarket sold DVD player would be in the long term. Well, my 14 year Wharfedales are still doing very well. One unit has now played well over 2000 discs, some of them multiple times. So much for Chinese build quality.

Maybe we should all buy Krell's now that they are made in China? Come to think of it the S-350a might not be a bad stopping off point for a replacement for the Antila IIS Eco.

Has anyone heard it?

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
"search out old threads referencing the Antilla so you can slag it & Leema off?"

One thread actually! See my post above re: "slagging off".

If you dig up old threads about Leemas just to say how terrible they are, when you've only been on here 5 mins, you have to expect a reaction. Seen this too often over the years: Previous new members have slagged off WHFI? for doing this, not doing that blah blah... Likewise others who've just cut their teeth on the forum have just caused unnecessary agg.

Trolling isn't welcome on here. Genuine questions are.

If you want genuine advice on a new set-up start a new thread, with details of budget and what items you want to short-list (amps or CDPs or speakers).

T

the record spot

Welcome Steve. PP is a Leema owner so his opinions could be taken into account with direct regard to Leema. I'm the same when it comes to Onkyo, Sansui and Harman Kardon!

Seeing as a post querying Leema's build quality generated so much heat, compared to the free for all over the many that went in Rega's direction, you could probably take that into account.

the record spot said:
Welcome Steve. PP is a Leema owner so his opinions could be taken into account with direct regard to Leema. I'm the same when it comes to Onkyo, Sansui and Harman Kardon!

Seeing as a post querying Leema's build quality generated so much heat, compared to the free for all over the many that went in Rega's direction, you could probably take that into account.

Also, RS, I've always been very candid about my equipment, even when the headphone socket went wobbly.

If he had posted something along these lines: "Currently own this Leema combo... have experienced reliability problems.... my budget is X-amount and I listen this type of music or that sort... what brands would you recommend?"

Think practically every make/brand has experienced reliability issues over the years, so I wouldn't hesitate to suggest alternatives.

But digging up two old Leema threads just to slag them off is out of order IMO.

T

the record spot

I don't see any slagging off and given the cost of said amps, I can understand Steve's point of view. Like I said, his was nothing compared to the roasting that Rega got.

the record spot said:
I don't see any slagging off and given the cost of said amps, I can understand Steve's point of view. Like I said, his was nothing compared to the roasting that Rega got.

Well, perhaps if his attitude was different he wouldn't have experienced a negative response when contacting Leema. When the headphone socket went wrong (twice), Leema arranged and paid for a carrier to pick-up and deliver back to my house, and sorted the problem... all FOC, despite buying it 'out-of-production'.

His first three posts (3 out of 3 isn't bad for a newbie) were spent whinging about his woes. I don't think anyone would be happy after any reasonable investment... but posting total negatives should be directed elsewhere (the seller or Leema themselves [again]).

Cost has little to do with it: It is an electro-mechanical product, and by their nature can (and do) go wrong.

Clearly he didn't buy from a reputable dealer (went wrong after 2 years and Leema offer 5 year warranty) as they could've either replaced the said item or given him an alternative. Therefore I can only conclude that he purchased from an auction site. Something I've always warned about. Bad move.

T

the record spot

Two things: you think cost has little to do with it when you fork out £3000 for a player and he shouldn't have bought from an auction site. No, clearly. I think I can put that viewpoint in the relevant place.

the record spot said:
Two things: you think cost has little to do with it when you fork out £3000 for a player and he shouldn't have bought from an auction site. No, clearly. I think I can put that viewpoint in the relevant place.

Firstly, if a player costs the normal retail price I would hope he'd purchased from a recognised dealer. That would entitle him to a repair, alternative or refund. We don't know exactly how much he paid, apart from:

"Having had both an Antila II and IIS Eco break-down on me after less than 18 months (the IIS Eco was supplied by Leema with a display fault) I am less than impressed..."

After years of dealing with Leema they do not supply products direct to us mere mortals. And if it was supplied with a "display fault" why did he not tell the relevant sources immediately (seller or Leema)? Now the Eco IIS wasn't released until 2011, so wherever purchased it should be covered under Leema's 5 year warranty.

I took my Naim CDP back to the dealers because of disc-reading problems. That was repaired within 3 weeks, even though I purchased it at a silly price.

Don't understand why you're trying to exonerate the poster.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts