Least favourite brands

I wont argue in general cos not enough knowledge but their Soundlink Mini II is renowned in the 'portable world'. The exception proves....
I've only heard two things, so I'm no expert. Some domestic speakers, and an expensive setup on demo in one of the posher department stores. Both sounded cartoonish (particularly the bass*) - the sort of thing that would quickly attract the undiscerning.

*Very much never mind the quality, feel the width...

Reactions: Samd

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ve never had a piece of electronics that didn’t do what it was supposed to do. So can’t say I’ve had any disappointments.

More the other way where I’ve bought something like a really cheap DAC for the TV in the past and it’s been absolutely spot on.

There is a brand I dislike for other reasons, but won’t derail the thread with it.

RJW232

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
There are a lot of (smaller) loudspeaker brands that deliver expensive but not so good stuff. Their way of development is more like a hobby without any scientific backing.

The worst I ever heard was a Dutch brand (I won't mention their name) that played something from Tracy Chapman at an audio show. Tracy sounded like she had a head of 4x3 meters. I guess companies like this develop via trial&error and listening in their workshop instead to only a couple of their favourite tunes. Nice as a hobby, bad to establish a brand.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
There are a lot of (smaller) loudspeaker brands that deliver expensive but not so good stuff. Their way of development is more like a hobby without any scientific backing.

The worst I ever heard was a Dutch brand (I won't mention their name) that played something from Tracy Chapman at an audio show. Tracy sounded like she had a head of 4x3 meters. I guess companies like this develop via trial&error and listening in their workshop instead to only a couple of their favourite tunes. Nice as a hobby, bad to establish a brand.
Hepta by any chance?

jjbomber

Owned: Denon headphones.
Demo: PMC speakers. Nearly fell asleep!
Loved now hated: Naim with a screen, or non-functioning screen. Why WhatHiFi covers up their unreliability is a mystery. They must know about it.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
B&W 684 s2 flooorstanding speakers and a Cambrige Audio Azur 651a amplifier I was using back in 2013. Even Jack Johnson's In between dreams album had overpowering bass when listening through the B&W 684 s2 floorstanding speakers and my old Cambrige Audio Azur 651a. Such a bad paring. Adding a DAC to the system may have sorted out the bass but I did not try that at the time.

AJM1981

KEF - I like their LS50 + LS50 Meta, their meta variation seems a bit overpriced and hyped for what it offers above the LS50. Don't really like their tower models. Too much surface area in design for a single combination driver and basically a huge chunk of plastic. Maybe they sound great, but doubt about the need for a tower here instead of Ls50 / sub set which probably sounds the same and appears way more elegant. It is a bit of of a love / hate thing.

Klipsch - The LaScala and Heritage series are the reason I would recommend klipsch in those ranges. The La Scala's are like classical Theatre loudspeakers. Pretty amazing stuff. Every black with orange bookshelf is the reason I wouldn't recommend them. I know there are worse and better, but not such a fan of how they treat their budget range in terms of quality standard. People who want horns and buy a budget klipsch "horn" wave guide, because it resembles a horn.

B&W - It used to be more of an accessible brand, probably still fine in the lower categories, but far from their flagship models and pricing. Probably holding back on innovation and delivery in those ranges. I think the modern line of Wharfedale resembles a bit of what B&W used to be.

Quad - Used to own the 303 / 33 combination as a gift from my father, which were used in labs and advertised for being in use there (different times) , but the brand kind of got a diamond ring and I think nowadays they deliver more of a premium feel and advertising instead of the premium quality that other players also deliver for far less. Good amps, their speakers apart from the electrostatic ones are really overhyped and not mind blowing well in terms of price / quality value, but maintain a high market value because it is Quad.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS