LCD PICTURE CAIBRATION HELP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello i own a SONY BRAVIA KDL40W5500 and really would like advise on calibrating my tv so its set to the correct/best settings! ive read on websites that the DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS - HD BASICS (BLU-RAY) is a good disk to use but some say not so good! i use my tv with VIRGIN V+ HD box,SONY BDP-S560,ONKYO TX-SR 806 AMP,PS3 for gaming!

any advise,correct settings would be very much appreciated

A

Anonymous

you could give these a try , they are for hd in a dark room .....

Setup, Picture adjustments menu:
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 1
Picture:
Brightness: 52
Color: 46
Hue: 0
Color Temperature:
Warm2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction:
Off
MotionFlow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

Advanced Settings
menu:
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: 1
Auto
Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

White
Balance menu:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -4
R-Bias: -3
G-Bias:
B-Bias: -1

--- Screen menu
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide:
Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off

Display Area: Full Pixel
Screen Position: [grayed out]
Vertical
Size: 0 [grayed out]

--Preferences, Eco menu
Power Saving: Off
Light
Senor: Off

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure where you got those settings from maxflinn, but I would be a bit dubious in using them as in the white ballance bit they have moved the green which is usually left alone when adjusting a TV's greyscale. I personally would not advise any adjustment to a TV's white ballance based on some one elses findings as each combination of equipment can give a very differant set of results. The only propper way to adjust a TV's greyscale (white ballance) is with something like a spyder and software on your PC, it can not be done by eye!

A

Anonymous

D.J.KRIME:Not sure where you got those settings from maxflinn, but I would be a bit dubious in using them as in the white ballance bit they have moved the green which is usually left alone when adjusting a TV's greyscale. I personally would not advise any adjustment to a TV's white ballance based on some one elses findings as each combination of equipment can give a very differant set of results. The only propper way to adjust a TV's greyscale (white ballance) is with something like a spyder and software on your PC, it can not be done by eye!hi dj , i got em on the web , ive used settings from the same source before and they worked well , but your right , theres no substitution for a proper calibration , those settings are usually much better than factory presets though....

Pittodriered

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm with DJ KRIME on this. Whenever I've calibrated any of my screens I've never adjusted the green when setting the white balance. I know from previous posts that we both use the same free software and instructions from the web, which explains why not to adjust the green settings. Only difference is that I use a Display One LT instead of a Spyder as my colourmeter.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I use these settings at home on my tv,and 9 times out of 10,when setting v/w series tvs up at customers homes.

backlight 3

brightness 50

colour 50

sharpness 15

motionflow standard

filmmode off

black corrector med

ad c.e med

gamma off

light l off

clear white low

live colour med/wide

colour temp natural.

see how you get on with those settings,or have a play till you are happy with the settings that work for you.Remember everyones eyes are diffrent.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
From my experience over the years there is no one set of settings that will work perfectly for everyone on a perticular model yet alone a whole range from any manufacturer as each model in their range will proform very differantly from another, so EG the optimum settings form 0ne 40" model to another will vary due to differant panels being used etc. So not to diss your advice there sonycentre (even tho there was no setting for contrast) but I personally advise the OP has a go for themselves starting with something like the DVE disc as not only will they get settings for their TV and other equipment, these settings will also bet correct for their home viewing conditions.The DVE disc will also help you gain a better understanding of just how each setting control effects each other. With My TV's I have both a day and night setting for all inputs.

I have read the term CALIBRATION SETTINGS on these and other forums and people saying you can use THX optimisers etc to calibrate your TV where this is not the case! all you are doing is adjusting your TV by eye. Admitedly using the THX optimiser will generally be a tool which most of us will have on a DVD without any extra outlay and give a better result over the normally rubbish factory settings but this does not equate to a propper calibration.

For a interesting read on how to calibrate yout TV have a read HERE

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Pittodriered:
I'm with DJ KRIME on this. Whenever I've calibrated any of my screens I've never adjusted the green when setting the white balance. I know from previous posts that we both use the same free software and instructions from the web, which explains why not to adjust the green settings. Only difference is that I use a Display One LT instead of a Spyder as my colourmeter.

I used to use a spyder 3 but fou nd only about 30% of them are acurate (Mine not being one of them)

Using the Display One LT is definitely a step in the right direction (only problem I have now is using it with the free software, it tends to 'stick' a lot)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have just ordered a Display One LT as have also heard mixed reports regarding the acuracy of Spyder's ( I got the bloke I have ordered it from to make sure the Display One is from a recent batch before ordering) My plan is to do a calibration from the factory defaults using both probes and compare the results
emotion-15.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:I have just ordered a Display One LT as have also heard mixed reports regarding the acuracy of Spyder's ( I got the bloke I have ordered it from to make sure the Display One is from a recent batch before ordering) My plan is to do a calibration from the factory defaults using both probes and compare the results
emotion-15.gif

Good call my man
emotion-4.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
OP ~

basics with any tv are set ~

BRIGHTNESS (And backlight if it has one) to set BLACK levels

CONTRAST to set overall WHITE level

Then it gets tricky as different tvs respond differently but generally speaking most tvs look best will all extra processing switched OFF

Dont set SHARPNESS to high else youll kill the picture

COLOUR set so it looks natural

Sonys ~

FILM MODE 1 for blurays ONLY

FILM MODE 2 for everything else

To make it easy calibrate CINEMA mode then when you watch a bluray switch to THEATRE mode (Switches to film mode one)

CINEMA mode is generally closest to calibration settings so always good to start there and theatre mode uses cinema mode

COLOUR TEMP set to WARM 2

Gamma to 0 or -1 (Depends on how natural it looks)

(Taken from another site ~ white balance

R gain -6

B Bias -5)

ECO modes off

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts