Samsung LE32R87BD settings

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung LE32R87BD TV.

I’ve had a quick go at calibrating it with Digital Video Essentials HD Basics which I have successfully used before.

I can’t seem to get good settings with the CA 751BD. The problem is not with the 751BD its me having fiddled with the settings and now I can't decide what looks right!

The overall image quality in terms of detail, smoothness & lack of jaggies is very good but the picture looks washed out.

The TV has loads of possible extra settings apart from the normal contrast & brightness such as DNIe, black adjust, dynamic contrast, colour tones and others.

Some of these settings make the image look better but at the sacrifice of other things.

For example black adjust looks good but looses some detail but without it the overall screen is too bright. Setting colour to cool adds more blue and looks good but is obviously not as the picture is intended to look.

I have searched for advise on what settings to use but have not found any specific settings for Blu-ray players. Various consoles have recommended settings but they are all different.

Can anyone suggest good settings as a starting point and what settings to avoid or should I just play with it until it looks good to me?

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone with a TV from the same range?

What settings work for you?

Surely you would do what I did, set the TV up to suit your own viewing conditions/preferances. A starter for ten are some movies have a picture set up proforma, some of the star wars films etc.

Help yourself is what I am saying I guess.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi woodster and thanks.

I'm normally very logical in how I approach things but sometimes, such as with Hi-Fi and home cinema, emotions get involved or you read too much of others opinions and you need a prod from someone to bring you back.

I followed what you said and just set it up for what I think looks good.

The settings in the end without going into great detail where:

Turn DNIe off – this prevents access to lots of advanced settings so only basic ones to play with.

Turned HDMI black level to low – this brought he black level down nicely and stopped a greyness to the screen.

Set the mode to standard – most of the settings with this pre-set are spot on after checking with the calibration Blu-ray I have so just left them as-is.

Set colour tone to normal – either side of normal looks too blue or too red.

I played a few scenes from LOTR and Star Wars both on Blu-ray and they looked much better with a more '3D' like image as depth/distance was better presented.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just for info for anyone who has a TV from this range and wants to use a PC with it:

Plug the PC into HDMI port 2.

This enables 1360×768 at 60Hz.

The HDMI black level cannot be changed so for my PC I have to turn 'Home Theatre PC' to On which enables 'DNIe' and 'Detailed Settings', turn 'Black Adjust' & 'Dynamic Contrast' to medium and 'Colour Space' to wide. Mode set to Standard.

These settings seem to compensate for the lack of HDMI black level adjustment. The image is not perfect but good enough.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thought others might benefit from my latest testing.

I was watching Batman and Robin on DVD last night.

It looked awful! Edges where too defined with artefacts and over saturated colours.

I've now set it to Movie Mode which alters the colours to Warm 2 and Sharpness down to 10 and a few other settings changed.

This looks much better. I need to double check with the calibration disc to be sure all is OK and I need to get some filter glasses to help set the colour (not going down the pro calibration root, £250.00 or more).

This setting seems to work well with the PC also - maybe my eyes needed to adjust to the correct settings after using over-saturated highly processed images for so long!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a proper look at my calibration Blu-ray 'Digital Video Essentials HD Basics' and it has a 3 colour filter in the box, blue, red & green!

I used this to get what looks to me a perfect blue, very good green, but red always looks wrong.

I have tried changing the colour tone, colour, tint, white balance & colour.

I have also adjusted gamma, contrast and brightness.

The best I can achieve from many tried settings is perfect blue, very good green and a red that looks several shades wrong. I can make red look right but at the expense of blue and green look wrong.

Is the best I can achieve a 'perfect blue', 'good green' and 'OK red'?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts