Lage Room Speakers Woes - Recommendations to trial...

Zebede1980

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,

I was wondering if other people had a similar experience and might be able to offer any recommendations.
I presently have a Cambridge Audio CXA81 and some Wharfdale EVO4.4 speakers and they sound pretty good - but I can't shake the feeling it could sound better (I know everything could ALWAYS sound better!!) but I was thinking of trialling some other speakers to see if some suited me better.

The issue - it I have a massive that is a lounge and dining room all in one - it measures about 8metres by 5 metres and has a very high vaulted ceiling. The stereo is all down at one end, and speakers nicely spaced from wall (60cm ish).

Everything sounds pretty good, I just feel like the system should be capable of more, and was thinking I might trial some other speakers to see if there is a better match.

So, does anyone have anything similar room wise? Any recommendations of a speaker that enjoys/tolerates a very large/high ceilinged room?

Many thanks,
Joe.

Joe, you must be living in the UK, because in the USA for example, that would probably be considered a cosy den! Seriously, though, the space per se isn’t a problem, though there are much more powerful amps available, and larger speakers - though your current kit should be ok, unless you like loud rock/metal or Wagner operas!

Without knowing more about your room and what you’re hearing, your plan is the best - just borrow something else. I wouldn’t rule out a beefier amp, though different speakers will make a more obvious change.

Something like these Klipsch might not be to your taste but will play much louder - about 10dB louder. https://www.richersounds.com/klipsch-r-800f-black.html

Reactions: Al ears

matthewpianist

Home demo is the best way for you to go with this one as it's the only way you will find out what amp and/or speakers will work best in your room. The Wharfedales are fine, but you may want something a bit more lively sounding in that room as they're not the most upfront speakers in the world, and you'll be losing a lot of sound with that high ceiling.

Home demo is the best way for you to go with this one as it's the only way you will find out what amp and/or speakers will work best in your room. The Wharfedales are fine, but you may want something a bit more lively sounding in that room as they're not the most upfront speakers in the world, and you'll be losing a lot of sound with that high ceiling.
Large and efficient speakers spring to mind. Having said that the speakers he has are not exactly inefficient.

Hi there,

I was wondering if other people had a similar experience and might be able to offer any recommendations.
I presently have a Cambridge Audio CXA81 and some Wharfdale EVO4.4 speakers and they sound pretty good - but I can't shake the feeling it could sound better (I know everything could ALWAYS sound better!!) but I was thinking of trialling some other speakers to see if some suited me better.

The issue - it I have a massive that is a lounge and dining room all in one - it measures about 8metres by 5 metres and has a very high vaulted ceiling. The stereo is all down at one end, and speakers nicely spaced from wall (60cm ish).

Everything sounds pretty good, I just feel like the system should be capable of more, and was thinking I might trial some other speakers to see if there is a better match.

So, does anyone have anything similar room wise? Any recommendations of a speaker that enjoys/tolerates a very large/high ceilinged room?

Many thanks,
Joe.
As others have said, Joe, a beefier amp might be the answer.

How loud do you play your music?

And do you have a reflective or a well damped room (wooden or laminate floors, or are there carpets and soft furnishings?)

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
odd question but as this is a lounge dinner where is the sofa/seating area? Is it in effectively the middle of the room? Another chap on here has very similar room and feels his system is lacking, turns out his sofa is in the middle of the room. No amount of money and equipment swapping will help this issue.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
odd question but as this is a lounge dinner where is the sofa/seating area? Is it in effectively the middle of the room? Another chap on here has very similar room and feels his system is lacking, turns out his sofa is in the middle of the room. No amount of money and equipment swapping will help this issue.
Maybe me? We have a through lounge/dining room. My listening position is half way down so we have an open area behind the sofa. It's possible that sound is affected by not being reflected from a wall behind. Got used to the sound now but it is improved by higher volume and moving a couple of feet closer for maximum effect.

Reactions: Al ears

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The length to width ratio also matters. If the room is squarish, you'd better change the room or place the speakers at least twice as far from the back wall, and farther apart.

EDIT: If you put the speakers further apart they should also be toed-in to face the listening position almost directly or the upper frequency range will be negatively affected.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts