Lack of Resume feature on Blu Ray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there any organisation or overseeing body that can be petitioned to request relatively simple features like resume play be enabled on Blu Ray Discs?

You would think that with many Blu Ray players having up to 1Gb Memory inserted in them you they would be able to remember the resume point of many if not all of your Blu Ray collection.

I understand from other posts and googling that this feature is not available on Java Enabled Discs – However it strikes me that this is simply an excuse for inadequate Blu Ray disc authoring.

What can be done? It’s not rocket science!

I could resume DVD's on my old DVD Player. I could resume Video on my VHS player!!

It may well be superb Video & Audio quality (which of course it is) but in making progress we seem to be UN Inventing basic features, functionality and usability which can make using the latest technology more frustrating and time consuming than necessary.

Regards...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Is this true? If so, Blu Ray will disappear from my shopping list. I can only get the kids away from the TV with the promise they can resume their DVD watching after dinner. The ridiculous start up times have already made me suspicious, but this is just absurd. How can you expect people to pay an extra 5-10 pounds a disc for such poor usability?

A

Anonymous

Old skool kids don't leave their equipment on pause,its a throwback to the bad days of vcr and also i believe the "resume " function is disc and not player dependent.Its a bookmark thing.

A

Anonymous

If i play a DVD in my bluray that resumes
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Messiah:I think it is the player that controls this function. My PS3 does it!

My PS3 resumes as long as the disc isn't removed. Are you saying yours remembers your whole collection and where you finished watching them?ÿIs there a setting for this somewhere?

ÿ

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
beaverme:
Messiah:I think it is the player that controls this function. My PS3 does it!

My PS3 resumes as long as the disc isn't removed. Are you saying yours remembers your whole collection and where you finished watching them?ÿIs there a setting for this somewhere?

ÿ

I thought this was disc dependent, and not machine. My copy of Ratatouille does not resume when stopped, but other discs i own do.

Messiah

Not sure. Will have to do some checking.

The reason I remember this is that only yesterday I removed Harry Potter 4 and watched Harry Potter 3. Then the little one decided she wanted to watch 4 again and when I put it back in it resumed from where it was stopped. Not sure how many discs it remembers? However, I also remember from a while ago when I had another Pioneer DVD player and the instructions said it remembered the last position for X amount of discs so I am pretty sure the player controls this. Like I said, I will look into it......

Out of interest, are the BD discs not 'sealed' (not sure of the right term sorry) as it were. How can they store the location they were last used at??

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
Mine to, in fact it will remember the last resume point on five separate discs if necessary. That is if you remove the disc while the resume banner remains onscreen.To cancel resume press stop button twice.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
My PS3 seems to remember - I put a Blu-ray in on Saturday that I had only partly watched a couple of weeks earlier. In the meantime I have played a handful of both Blu-rays and DVDs on it.

As soon as it loaded this Blu-ray it immediately began playing from where I'd stopped it, in the middle of a making-of feature.

Actually, I'm not sure if that's a good thing, as it confused me for a minute or two!
emotion-7.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts