KRELL KAV400XI and others...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I am off to uni (again) very soon and with my finances in dire straights i have decided to sell my bel canto pre and power and look for a cheaper integrated with lots of power (and pocket the difference). I dont want to loose too much in terms of performance over my bel canto gear as i really loved it (just i need any cash i can get at the moment). Ive seen ex dem deals on the krell for as little as 1400 but my max is around 1250-1300. Thaiman you say they are very good, how will they compare to my bel canto? Will they be ok driving b&w 805S's? I know that its a pretty powerful amp so im expecting it to drive my speakers with ease.

Any other competitors MAX 1300 used or new i should be looking at?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to jump in and Hijack SHAXOS, I would also be interested in hearing opinions on this amp....as I am thinking of listening and potentially buying one when I move out to the states in October.......What CDP you thinking of using with it??

Once again sorry for the hijack hope you dont mind?

Jay

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
no your not in the wrong profession - iv got myself into the wrong hobby! football is so much cheaper is should have stuck to that! :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Are you in the UK?
There is the same amp as mine going on ebay at the moment for £799 ex-dem. (Lyngdorf SDAI 2715)
200 WPC Class D.
(It retails for £1400 in the UK, I paid £1300 for mine)
Very nice amp. Ask Thaiman.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
After all the amps I had own (and there is a lot of different from owning and hearing them on Demo, test etc) I still rate the Krell 400Xi as the best value for money amp I have bought.

The build quality is sublime (components inside were top of the range stuffs including massive 800VA toroidal transformer), great attention to wiring path, tank like build casing, WBT binding posts...the list goes on.

Sound? The Pre section is a pure class A design, so as you may expetced, human voice sounded life like and full with emotion. The power section is rate at 200 (proper watts) into eight and double that if you have speakers like my
emotion-2.gif
so one thing you are guaranteed that the Krell 400Xi is unlikely to break sweat when driving the majority of loudspeakers. For that reason you will have a freedom to choose whatever pair of speakers that you may fancy. However as powerful as the spec suggested, 400Xi doesn't make a big thing about grip, speed or slam - it goes about its business in a remarkably neutral and unprepossessing way which is rare at any price point. Soundstage and imaging is very impressive too, certainly not far behide my GamuT (which cost a lot more) and the like of Naim SuperNait couldn't even come close in this department. Oh...I better stop right here, always get carry away writing about Krell
emotion-11.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Jason36:

Hi Thaiman,

And what CDP and Speakers would you suggest would be a good pairing with this amp??

I ran the Krell with few things from a pair of big Neat (MF5) to acoustic Tiny pair of Energy AE1 mk3 but the best components that suited the baby Krell best are Classe CDP-10 and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. My friend also had an excellent result with Musical fidelity 308cr and B&W 805s.

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS:I am off to uni (again) very soon and with my finances in dire straights i have decided to sell my bel canto pre and power and look for a cheaper integrated with lots of power (and pocket the difference). I dont want to loose too much in terms of performance over my bel canto gear as i really loved it (just i need any cash i can get at the moment). Ive seen ex dem deals on the krell for as little as 1400 but my max is around 1250-1300. Thaiman you say they are very good, how will they compare to my bel canto? Will they be ok driving b&w 805S's? I know that its a pretty powerful amp so im expecting it to drive my speakers with ease.

Any other competitors MAX 1300 used or new i should be looking at?

I can relate. I have been in the law, but changing direction to IT. Life and it's changes, eh?
Still sticking with my headphone setup for a while, best sound per pound and easy to move with me should I move again.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:Jason36:

Hi Thaiman,

And what CDP and Speakers would you suggest would be a good pairing with this amp??

I ran the Krell with few things from a pair of big Neat (MF5) to acoustic Tiny pair of Energy AE1 mk3 but the best components that suited the baby Krell best are Classe CDP-10 and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. My friend also had an excellent result with Musical fidelity 308cr and B&W 805s.

Thanks Thaiman,

Just trying to get an idea of what would be worth demoing with the krell.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
How does the Krell compare to the plinius integrated (think its 9200?)? I know hte plinius is at least 500 more expensive...

A

Anonymous

Shaxos, just checked on a site i regularly scout for used audio gear and came across your KAV400xi for the price you want inc shipping : http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/vardet.asp - no direct link but if you type the model no. into the search function you will find the add. goodluck!

TRENDING THREADS