Kenwood ks-401ht speakers

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
I have been on the search for a set of good affordable speakers, and I have an opportunity to get the Kenwood KS-401HTs from someone I know. Can anyone tell me anything about these speakers in terms of reliability and sound quality, or Kenwood as a brand? My current amp is a Yamaha RX-V361, which is an old AVR that I'm also planning on upgrading, but I'd like to try getting some better speakers first.
Thanks!

twinkletoes

never heard them but Kenwood in there day made some good stuff.

looking there specs they will need a subwoofer in toe to give a full sound, if im looking at a right ones,
100hz in room will sound very very thin on there own. Not to mention they're old at this point.

Most bookshelf's will give start around 45-50hz mark.

If you want a cheap good sounding speaker look at mission lx-1's, always paired well with Yamaha but most importantly will give you a nice full sound.

Second hand look for kef, mission, q acoustics

Hope that helps

Messiah

It's been a long time since I have seen/heard Kenwood speakers but, from what I can recall, these were part of a budget home cinema system (or 'home cinema in a box' system) I would doubt they would match any decent budget speaker you could get now.

If it's from someone you know, have you heard them? What do you think of them?

How much do they want from them?

Do you have a budget in mind for speakers?

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
If it's from someone you know, have you heard them? What do you think of them?

How much do they want from them?

Do you have a budget in mind for speakers?
I haven't heard them yet
He doesn't really have a need for them anymore, so he just offered them for free.
My budget is hard to say, but ideally the speakers don't go over $300.

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
looking there specs they will need a subwoofer in toe to give a full sound, if im looking at a right ones,
100hz in room will sound very very thin on there own. Not to mention they're old at this point.

If you want a cheap good sounding speaker look at mission lx-1's, always paired well with Yamaha but most importantly will give you a nice full sound.
I do have a sub. Could you tell me more about the missions?

Messiah

I haven't heard them yet
He doesn't really have a need for them anymore, so he just offered them for free.
My budget is hard to say, but ideally the speakers don't go over $300.
If they're free then nothing to lose to at least try them and compare.

What speakers do you use at the moment?

Just in the context of the Kenwood's, I'd be fairly confident $300 (definitely $?) would get far superior speakers. 😊

Do you use the AVR for full surround sound as well or just for stereo?

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
If they're free then nothing to lose to at least try them and compare.

What speakers do you use at the moment?

Just in the context of the Kenwood's, I'd be fairly confident $300 (definitely $?) would get far superior speakers. 😊

Do you use the AVR for full surround sound as well or just for stereo?
I just have some small cheap surround sound speakers that came with the AVR (YAMAHA NS-AP2600). The only thing I use the AVR for is music, but I use all of the speakers, so it's in surround sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts