Ken Kreisel DXD-808 subwoofer - anyone got it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm sure your MK will be superior on account of larger drivers. How big is your room?

Room size is 4.0m x 5.5 (max)

currently have the sub in the corner about 50mm from the walls, sounds pretty good so far (still playing!!)

Thinking of turning it around so that it plays against the wall, there is a school of thought that suggests it re-inforces the sub some more.

Very pleased so far though

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:

currently have the sub in the corner about 50mm from the walls, sounds pretty good so far (still playing!!)

Thinking of turning it around so that it plays against the wall, there is a school of thought that suggests it re-inforces the sub some more.

If the corner consists of solid walls, yes. If one wall is solid and the other battened/stud, you're better off firing the driver into the solid wall. If the corner isn't solid at all, you're best off just firing it out into the room.

buzz_lightclick

fayeanddavid said:
If your 808 is any thing like my new toy you are going to LOVE it

If I could work out how to change my sig on the new site everyone could se that I now have an MKSound MX350 Mk 2 and it is awesomw

So the story is the 808 is as good if not better so....................watch this space.

Saw that over on AV Forums. You got a great deal at £750 for such a good sub! *good*

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
fayeanddavid said:
If your 808 is any thing like my new toy you are going to LOVE it

If I could work out how to change my sig on the new site everyone could se that I now have an MKSound MX350 Mk 2 and it is awesomw

So the story is the 808 is as good if not better so....................watch this space.

Saw that over on AV Forums. You got a great deal at £750 for such a good sub! *good*

Thanks, yes I was very chuffed and it is in pristine condition

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
fayeanddavid said:

If the corner consists of solid walls, yes. If one wall is solid and the other battened/stud, you're better off firing the driver into the solid wall. If the corner isn't solid at all, you're best off just firing it out into the room.

Thanks David

Solid walls I'm pleased to say, so I will give it a go at some point, although very pleased with results so far

It's arriving today, after visiting a few countries on the way!

Castle Donnington, GB
29/08/2014 05:07
Departure Scan

Castle Donnington, GB
28/08/2014 21:30
Arrival Scan

Koeln, DE
28/08/2014 09:12
Departure Scan

28/08/2014 00:25
Import Scan
28/08/2014 00:03

Import Scan
Koeln, DE
27/08/2014 23:47

Import Scan
27/08/2014 18:28

Import Scan
27/08/2014 05:01

Delivery will be rescheduled.
27/08/2014 01:34

Warehouse Scan
27/08/2014 00:19
Import Scan

Koeln, DE
26/08/2014 23:13

Arrival Scan
26/08/2014 22:23

Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release. / Your package was released by the clearing agency.

Langenhagen, DE
26/08/2014 18:37

Departure Scan
26/08/2014 17:12

Arrival Scan
Glostrup, DK
26/08/2014 09:30

Departure Scan
26/08/2014 07:45

Arrival Scan
26/08/2014 06:45

Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.

Molndal, SE
26/08/2014 01:59

Departure Scan
26/08/2014 00:01

Arrival Scan
Oslo, NO
25/08/2014 20:35

Departure Scan
25/08/2014 17:37

Export Scan
25/08/2014 17:37

Origin Scan
NO
25/08/2014 05:32

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Finally arrived today!! *dance4*

IMAG0018.jpg

KK%2BDXD%2B808%2B-%2B4

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

Performed a quick demo with all settings at green dot "reference" level. Certainly much livelier and tighter than my MA AW12!! It does sound a little bit boomy. Need to tinker with the settings again. Any ideas? It's placed in a corner with solid walls, facing a wall, about 3 inches away.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I know that these subs are supposed to be used in the corner of the room, but mine definitely sounds better moved out of the corner, against the front wall. So worth playing with position I would say.

Also, do you have any bass management settings on your amp? If so definitely start again with these. I use an anthem amp, and when I had the DXD on the settings from my previous amp (a REL) it really didn't work. When I redid the calibration for the DXD, different ball game :)

I moved the subwoofer 1-inch away from the wall, which seems to have significantly improved its performance. Watched Super 8 again for the nth time, KK is leagues better than MA!! I heard things I never heard before. For the first time, my wife had to come down from the bedroom to ask me to turn it down! *biggrin*

I'll play with AV receiver settings tomorrow. Can't move the sub anywhere else for now due to the layout of my room and the fact that the cables have been run underneath the carpet. I'm moving to my new house in December, and this sub is originally meant for the new house. So I don't intend to try any other position here.

I thought the run in would've happened already, as it's ex-demo. How much would it have been used as an ex-demo model?

It's certainly a lot better as compared to MA, even with regular TV! :)

My OH wants me to box it up for the new house though, and reconnect MA. :(

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Box up the MA and sell it on, they don't necessarily understand do they?? (Humour no insult), congrats on the purchase

As for room position, I moved my MX350 to 75mm from the two walls and it now seems to boom a little, so need to pull it out (pardon) just a fraction

Interestingly I had the sub set up quite nicely for Sky broadcast in terms of bass quality and it was only when I ran Captain America A Winters Soldier last night, with DTS Master that the sub sounded very different and had to back the sub off by 3dB!! Also when I noticed the tendency for a slight boom.

You may end up with two settings, one for Sky and one for BluRay.............??

Others out there with a similar peculiarity??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
While you may well get a difference between Bluray and Sky, even films on Bluray vary. There are films out there with excessive bass like Tron Legacy and Hot Fuzz (although that one is sort of intentional), so you may find yourself adding or taking away a little between movies, depsite being able to find a happy medium for the majority of films out there.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I thought the run in would've happened already, as it's ex-demo. How much would it have been used as an ex-demo model?

It's certainly a lot better as compared to MA, even with regular TV! :)

My OH wants me to box it up for the new house though, and reconnect MA. :(

BB

Posted my thoughts on AV Forums of my MX350 Mkll, will be very interested in your 808 as we go along

Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you measured the sub in room resposne you wiould see moving it an inch will do absolutely nothing.

Completely insignificant difference in freq response, if you moved your head an inch it would be the same thing - no difference.

Also is your sub and bass is setup properly getting a lot of bass in films like Tron that have a lot of bass is only to the benefit of the film.

When its not setup right the opposite becomes true - it can seem excessive and out of control - the bass is tron is flawless throughout the whole film and is actually a bit of a spectical of the film if you ask me for the variety of different bass in it

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Well, I did notice a significant difference after moving the sub an inch away from the wall.

Thats because it will make a difference, and it is also why performing auto setups isn't an entirely foolproof process - the mic might be 'in the vicinity' that your ears will be, but shifting it around an inch here or there can have drastic effects on the outcome. I've done it myself, and found the crossover point the receiver set for the centre varied by about 40Hz!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
bigboss said:
Well, I did notice a significant difference after moving the sub an inch away from the wall.

Thats because it will make a difference, and it is also why performing auto setups isn't an entirely foolproof process - the mic might be 'in the vicinity' that your ears will be, but shifting it around an inch here or there can have drastic effects on the outcome. I've done it myself, and found the crossover point the receiver set for the centre varied by about 40Hz!

Hi David

It doesnt look like you have measured sub / bass repsonse before either - you cant judge what a receiver does which is generally a hap hazard attempt to try and reduce big nulls in the overall freq response.

I only understand the basics which are freq resposne and decay - I have moved a sub around a lot and in a certain area say a corner of the room movements of 6 - 12" shows small but possibly significant differences - seriously a move of an inch is going to make no difference to a bass peak - which is what boomy bass is.

You cant judge or measure bass by ear - you have to measure it properly - its completely deceiving.

Its said put the sub right in the corner for more and deeper bass (will be more aggressive)

Move the sub out of the corner for smoother but less amounts and less deep bass (possibly) - but this is meaning moving by feet not an inch

If you put the KK in the same spot as the MA sub you will get pretty much the same freq response and decay - I have proved this measuring 3 completely different subs BK XLS400, Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra and SVS SB13 Ultra - Alll sealed subs all gave pretty much the exact same freq reponse as each other - the SVS went slightly deeper by about 8 htz. Its the better sub out of these 3 significantly

What you will definately get from the KK over the MA is much cleaner bass as its rated distortion is extremely low. Big peaks or booms / one note bass will kill this though. Now is a good time to start to learn how to use REW, so you can get the best from your new system in your new house. Its eye opening stuff seeing how bad it really is the first time you see it (Frequency response and Decay / RT60 I mean)

In addtition - what might have happened - the distance the receiver sets for the sub, moving it an inch might have helped with the integration - which I have found + or -1 distance which is often 10cm can make a fair difference for integration with the front speakers. This could account for a change you have heard. Receiever only do this so good - there are ways to do this manually which I have found to give better results. This is all by ear not measured so could be psychological.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Hi David

It doesnt look like you have measured sub / bass repsonse before either - you cant judge what a receiver does which is generally a hap hazard attempt to try and reduce big nulls in the overall freq response.
I'm talking about the receiver setting the size of the speaker (based on what it thinks the speaker's capabilities are), not what the receiver does with the sub (which is usually nothing as most don't EQ much below 60/70Hz).

You cant judge or measure bass by ear - you have to measure it properly - its completely deceiving.
Are you saying that you can't detect any differences by ear? And that a certain response isn't more pleasing to the ear? Why bother moving a sub if the because there's a measured difference that you can't hear?

Move the sub out of the corner for smoother but less amounts and less deep bass (possibly) - but this is meaning moving by feet not an inch
It is surprising what sort of difference it can make - you can even feel the difference it can make if you place your hands on the cabinet of some subs. You also stated that moving your head an inch won't make a difference - again, not true.

If you put the KK in the same spot as the MA sub you will get pretty much the same freq response and decay - I have proved this measuring 3 completely different subs BK XLS400, Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra and SVS SB13 Ultra - Alll sealed subs all gave pretty much the exact same freq reponse as each other - the SVS went slightly deeper by about 8 htz. Its the better sub out of these 3 significantly
What you're measuring is the room's affect on the decay, not the ability of the sub to stop and start, which can vary hugely. I've heard it - it doesn't need measuring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts