KEF vs B&W

What would you go for?

• Total voters

Shadi

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,
I’m having a dilemma. I’m trying to choose between the kef R series (R7 floorstander specifically) and the B&W 700 (703 S2 specifically) series.

Here are my system requirements:
-High clarity and effortless. Speakers portraying exactly what the artist intended to portray. I fell in love with the Spendor A and D line but that’s out of my budget.
-Modular, I want to start with a 3.1 setup then slowly add surround, Center and atmos. For home cinema.
-The room size is 4.3mx7m.
-old school minimalist wooden look with a boxy shape (straight lines).
- Pair with a Denon AVR X3700/or 4700 amp and REL T7i/ or T9i subwoofer.
- Music genres: rock, house, funk, soul, rnb, jazz, classic.

What would you go for? The R7s in or the 703 s2? I’m open to suggestions from other brands too (preferably British).
Thank you in advance :)

Shadi

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
Go audition, nobody here can really answer this.
Neither of these are the best for home cinema purposes.
Perhaps this should be in that sub forum.
Thanks for the feedback! I’m unable to audition as the dealer here in Cyprus does not have these models in the showroom. The primary requirement isn’t home cinema... rather just a great stereo set up for music with home cinema capabilities.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,
I’m having a dilemma. I’m trying to choose between the kef R series (R7 floorstander specifically) and the B&W 700 (703 S2 specifically) series.

Here are my system requirements:
-High clarity and effortless. Speakers portraying exactly what the artist intended to portray. I fell in love with the Spendor A and D line but that’s out of my budget.
-Modular, I want to start with a 3.1 setup then slowly add surround, Center and atmos. For home cinema.
-The room size is 4.3mx7m.
-old school minimalist wooden look with a boxy shape (straight lines).
- Pair with a Denon AVR X3700/or 4700 amp and REL T7i/ or T9i subwoofer.
- Music genres: rock, house, funk, soul, rnb, jazz, classic.

What would you go for? The R7s in or the 703 s2? I’m open to suggestions from other brands too (preferably British).
Thank you in advance :)
Like Al Ears said. I'm saying trust your own ears. Bowers are little bright, Kef are more warm. For home cinema try Q Acoustic Concept 500 or 3050. Amazing soundstage, great for cinema. Personally i'm BW fan, but Kef K7 are amazing with Denon should be nice synergy. Try Klipsch very popular for home cinema.

Reactions: Shadi

Shadi

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
T
Like Al Ears said. I'm saying trust your own ears. Bowers are little bright, Kef are more warm. For home cinema try Q Acoustic Concept 500 or 3050. Amazing soundstage, great for cinema. Personally i'm BW fan, but Kef K7 are amazing with Denon should be nice synergy. Try Klipsch very popular for home cinema.
thank you for your reply. I was thinking more along the lines of spendor A series, B&W 700 or KEF R. Klipsch and q acoustics are great but I prefer the design of the others.

daytona600

AVCX3700 is a cracking AV 9.2 amp for £1000 but pointless connecting £2500+ speakers for L/R Duties
look at high end AVRs like anthem / lingdorf or AVR pre+power combo or pre-out on the denon into a £1000+ power amp

I’m open to suggestions from other brands too preferably British
Kef are chinese & B+W are american

Def Tech BP9000 used these for a year now
speaker/sub/atmos modules in one unit 5.4.4 in 5 speakers
BP part of the same group as denon & work very well together & they just bought B&W
designed for super large US rooms - huge power & dynamics on AV & excellent for 2ch music as well

Definitive Technology BP9000 Series Bipolar Technology - YouTube
Review: Definitive Technology BP9000 High-tech speakers built-in subs (allhomecinema.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadi

manicm

AVCX3700 is a cracking AV 9.2 amp for £1000 but pointless connecting £2500+ speakers for L/R Duties
look at high end AVRs like anthem / lingdorf or AVR pre+power combo or pre-out on the denon into a £1000+ power amp

I’m open to suggestions from other brands too preferably British
Kef are chinese & B+W are american

Def Tech BP9000 used these for a year now
speaker/sub/atmos modules in one unit 5.4.4 in 5 speakers
BP part of the same group as denon & work very well together
designed for super large US rooms - huge power & dynamics on AV & excellent for 2ch music as well

Review: Definitive Technology BP9000 High-tech speakers built-in subs (allhomecinema.com)

If you're going to get hung up on the country of manufacture you may as well give up the hifi ghost. KEF and B&W are originally British companies, but so far their products are still designed and engineered in the UK, if actually assembled in China or wherever.

FYI, last time I checked Naim's Muso products are also made in China. Cyrus also manufacture their One range in China.

Rega, Naim's >Muso products, Linn, Spendor, and Cyrus >One, ATC, Roksan and some others are made in UK.

Shadi

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
@daytona600 @manicm Thanks for your feedback it is much appreciated :)

The reasoning behind my British Engineered speaker preference is because I believe the national company behind the ideation of the loud speaker technology embeds their culture of producing the end product. Therefore the actual manufacture of the product is just a chain within the supply chain. The mother company produces systematic documentation on manufacturing processes that they exchange with the manufacturer. This is the age of globalisation and mass production to optimise the output efficiency of the company in order to maximise profits. Therefore I am not getting hung up on the country of manufacture; i am simply stating that I find the British culture and mindset of speaker production appealing to my speaker design and produced sound properties preferences :)

Reactions: Sliced Bread
D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for the feedback! I’m unable to audition as the dealer here in Cyprus does not have these models in the showroom. The primary requirement isn’t home cinema... rather just a great stereo set up for music with home cinema capabilities.

If you’re spending that sort money I’d find away to audition them. Must be more than one dealer in Cyprus. If you can’t get hold of those brands listen to what he has to better understand what you do don’t want. If you’re buying a speaker purely on looks you’re doing it wrong though important it’s not what I look at first.

For that sort money I’d be adding Revel to audition list. Along with tannoy.

Revel sound very similar to BW but a lot less brittle, Very much like a soft dome though metal and in my hunt for speakers revels walked all over kef. In my opinion. Far greater sound stage and don’t get congested when playing loud. Oh and they’re far far better made than both brands. The gloss black is flawless no orange peal texture.

If want speakers that play effortlessly and stay composed for more money I’d look at some klipsch heresy iv’s but as I say will cost more but might be worth saving a little longer to get it right.

Good luck with the hunt

Sliced Bread

Bowers & Wilkins parent company DEI Holding is American, but the speakers are designed in Britain. Manufacturing is in China for the entry and mid models with the 800’s I *think* still manufactured in the UK.

Kef is owned by GE Accoustics which is based in Hong Kong but Kef HQ is in Maidstone UK so I assume that’s where the R&D is. All manufacturing for Kef is in China.

If UK built is important to you then maybe ATC?

daytona600

Bowers & Wilkins parent company DEI Holding is American, but the speakers are designed in Britain. Manufacturing is in China for the entry and mid models with the 800’s I *think* still manufactured in the UK.

B&W is owned by sounds united in the USA & probably biggest supplier in the world of Speakers
Bowers & Wilkins has been acquired by Sound United LLC, parent company of
Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Classé, and Boston Acoustics.

Sound United

Speakers are still made & designed in the UK from various suppliers

Sliced Bread

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts