Kef Reference model 2 ( circa 1999)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been offered a pair of the aforementioned Kef Ref Model 2's that are approx 11 years old. They are in pristine condition and have only had about 8 to 10 hours of use, the rest of the time they have either sheeted up or in their boxes. My question is, are they a bargain at £500 or has technology moved on to a point that there are far superior speakers available for the money ( or a bit more)?

Thoughts?

T

the record spot

pignut:
I've been offered a pair of the aforementioned Kef Ref Model 2's that are approx 11 years old. They are in pristine condition and have only had about 8 to 10 hours of use, the rest of the time they have either sheeted up or in their boxes. My question is, are they a bargain at £500 or has technology moved on to a point that there are far superior speakers available for the money ( or a bit more)?

Thoughts?

I'd certainly be having a good look at them. Not sure of the going rate for them, but if the use is that limited, then that obviously bumps up the price you'd expect to pay against ones in similar condition but with greater listening mileage on them. Assuming the seller is being upfront of course!

Check what the secondhand prices for similar pairs are, adjust your offer accordingly if there's a significant gap.

A

Anonymous

I recently bought my model two's for the same money and in my eyes it was money well spent. They are lovely speakers!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It sometimes amazes me the combinations people put together or are recommended to put together. So many people are using mismatched products, or products in systems where they're way out of their depth.

For info purposes, this post is based on product's abilities, not price.

MattSPL:A friend of mine has a pair of model 2's and uses them with a Rotel RA1060 integrated amp. Handles them very well.

Hi Matt

I've used a Pioneer A-400 with Model 3.2's for many years and the combination was stunning. I also used the A-400 with Model 1.2's, 2's, 2.2's and 4.2's with superb results. I also tried these KEF Reference speakers with a number of higher powered and expensive amplification however the A-400 frankly performed better.

Btw, i hope your friend holds on to his Model 2's as i feel with the Model 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and the point 2 Series is where KEF peaked.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Matt

Me too. Old is gold!
emotion-2.gif

Btw, from what i was told at the time with the 203's etc. KEF were aiming for the 800 series market. I kept my beautifully finished Rosetta Burr Model 3.2's.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick

That makes sense then.

Those 3.2's sound nice. The first 'real' speakers i heard were Kef reference 104AB's. They are responsible for my Hifi addiction and love of Bass and large speakers.

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt

The 3.2 are superb speakers and in their premium Albina or Rosetta Burr finishes they look stunning.
emotion-1.gif
I was going to buy a pair of 803's or 804's at a really good dealer price however i quick realized the superiority of the 3.2's within a few moments of listening to them.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick

I used to own a pair of N803's back in 2003. Although they had very good dynamic ability in the midrange, i felt they fell short in other area's. I only kept them for about 6 months.

Cheers

Matt

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:
MattSPL:A friend of mine has a pair of model 2's and uses them with a Rotel RA1060 integrated amp. Handles them very well.

Hi Matt

I've used a Pioneer A-400 with Model 3.2's for many years and the combination was stunning. I also used the A-400 with Model 1.2's, 2's, 2.2's and 4.2's with superb results. I also tried these KEF Reference speakers with a number of higher powered and expensive amplification however the A-400 frankly performed better.

Btw, i hope your friend holds on to his Model 2's as i feel with the Model 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and the point 2 Series is where KEF peaked.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I find some advice on these forums quite hard to swallow sometimes. Let's take the 4.2's - if a Bryston 3B power amp can't make them perform to anywhere near their abilities, please do tell me how a £300 amp (any £300 amp) can achieve this. I looked long and hard to find something to control their prodigious bass, and from my experience of owning the 4.2's (as well as 1.2's), can only assume that the A400 failed to bring out the bass of the 4.2's. There would be no way that an A400 could provide the 4.2's with the current needed to perform as they should do. The 3.2's, 2.2's, and 1.2's were less efficient, and the 1.2's needed extra care in partnering, otherwise they had no dynamics at all (that goes for the whole range, but especially the 1.2's for some weird reason).

I think KEFs peaked previous to this series, but judging by the amount of work they're putting into their speaker currentlys, it looks like they're about to peak again....

Where were you working to try out the Reference .2 range may I ask? Just curious...

T

the record spot

I like Rick. But then again I like David as well....yes, you know what's coming...

images

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts