KEF Reference 203/2 pricing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
And as it happens, just today I get to know through a contact that there is a 205/2 on offer at the price of 203/2 Satin RRP but the caveat is it is in Gloss Black color (We both do not like the gloss black at all) and the validity of this deal will be checked in next few days

I know that gloss black is not your favorite colour, but Kef's Piano Black is of a higher quality than most, with the deeply rich lacquered finish of an expensive concert grand piano. It has the same attention to detail and hours of work, as the gloss wood finish.

Hi WishTree

For speakers with curved cabinets, exquisite finishing (all finishes are at the same price) and ones which include a ribbon HF unit which (amongst its other qualities) is capable of projecting a highly focused, potent and detailed sound with excellent height, width and dispersion then Monitor Audio's Platinum PL200's are also worth a look.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/platinum/pl200/

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi WishTree

For speakers with curved cabinets, exquisite finishing (all finishes are at the same price) and ones which include a ribbon HF unit which (amongst its other qualities) is capable of projecting a highly focused, potent and detailed sound with excellent height, width and dispersion then Monitor Audio's Platinum PL200's are also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick! I generally do a blanket assumption of the house sound of a prticular brand which I was prooved wrong but unable to get it out of my head.

Ex - Arcam is warm and Pioneer is lopsided on top side, IMO

I always thought that MA are generally lean sounding speakers and Proacs are sweet sounding speakers. So never put MA into equation especially when I am using the entry level amplification of Classe which some one suggested that it is fast but slightly lean.

I am not sure about the synergy given my presumptions but since you have recommended I will bring it into the equation.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I know this thread is about the KEF Reference and as an OP I should stick to the agenda but I am just wondering has any one compared the KEF Reference to Proac D40R. It would be silly not to include my favourite brand when we are doing this.

WishTree said:
I know this thread is about the KEF Reference and as an OP I should stick to the agenda but I am just wondering has any one compared the KEF Reference to Proac D40R. It would be silly not to include my favourite brand when we are doing this.

Hi WishTree

Only one way to find out :)

Fwiw, i used a pair of Proac's Response 2.5's speakers with a Classe CA-401 power amplifier for nearly three months.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:

They're quite a different speaker. The ProAcs are noticably more laid back, easier on the ears some might say, whereas the Reference models tell it more like it is, I suppose you could say. Snare drums have a more lifelike dynamism on the KEFs, whereas the ProAcs downplay it a little. I don't mean that in any negative way, it's more of a personal preference for many. I did a demo for a few regulars between most of our speakers in the £3-6k price point (and also one between the Reference 205/2's and ProAc K6's), and opinions were split. Some found the KEFs dynamics just too much and preferred the more laid back ProAc, and some felt the ProAcs were too smooth in comparison and preferred the KEFs. I found electronics changed that. One guy who preferred the ProAcs over the KEFs on the Onkyo Reference pre/power, preferred the KEFs on the smoother Bryston over the ProAcs.

Being a subjective thing, it's really something you should hear for yourself :)

WishTree said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi WishTree

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick! I generally do a blanket assumption of the house sound of a prticular brand which I was prooved wrong but unable to get it out of my head.

Ex - Arcam is warm and Pioneer is lopsided on top side, IMO

I always thought that MA are generally lean sounding speakers and Proacs are sweet sounding speakers. So never put MA into equation especially when I am using the entry level amplification of Classe which some one suggested that it is fast but slightly lean.

I am not sure about the synergy given my presumptions but since you have recommended I will bring it into the equation.

Hi WishTree

You are welcome to mention me :)

Anyway i am busy at the moment so i'll pick this up later on.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the Proacs should definitely be on your list, and may well be the one to beat. I suppose they slipped under the radar as you appeared to be looking for a different, more open sound.

I would echo Davids assessment of the Refs. I like mine so much, as they are connected to a Class A amp, with Cardas cables and have a Linn DS as source.....so, like a Camelian, they sound open, detailed and eminently musical. I have also heard them on the end of Linn amps, where (imo) they sounded a bit cold, analytical and uninvolving.

So what you will hear on the end of your system, is the culmination of MDac + Classe + cables, with the character of the Classe being particularly obvious (the room of course will have an effect). If any element of your system is producing glare, you will hear it, whereas the Proacs will smooth over it a little more.

Going for the Refs may well steer you into getting a source more in line with the rest of your system!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
So what you will hear on the end of your system, is the culmination of MDac + Classe + cables, with the character of the Classe being particularly obvious (the room of course will have an effect). If any element of your system is producing glare, you will hear it, whereas the Proacs will smooth over it a little more.

Going for the Refs may well steer you into getting a source more in line with the rest of your system!

I am not sure if this make much of a difference but I have just placed the order for Classe CP 800 which will be with me next week. Based on the performance of the system, I might sell off the SSP 800 at some point of time and have a HiFi focussed set up.

So the system will primarily be Classe CP 800 with Classe CA 2100.

In my head I would place your electronics on a slight warm side (the AMS 35i + Linn DS as well as Arcam) and KEF match pretty well. Where as with the CP 800 + CA 2100, I am not too sure if KEF makes more sense or the 804D.

Ofcourse I need to audition but it is equally to gain / share from the experience here.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
They're quite a different speaker. The ProAcs are noticably more laid back, easier on the ears some might say, whereas the Reference models tell it more like it is, I suppose you could say. Snare drums have a more lifelike dynamism on the KEFs, whereas the ProAcs downplay it a little. I don't mean that in any negative way, it's more of a personal preference for many. I did a demo for a few regulars between most of our speakers in the £3-6k price point (and also one between the Reference 205/2's and ProAc K6's), and opinions were split. Some found the KEFs dynamics just too much and preferred the more laid back ProAc, and some felt the ProAcs were too smooth in comparison and preferred the KEFs. I found electronics changed that. One guy who preferred the ProAcs over the KEFs on the Onkyo Reference pre/power, preferred the KEFs on the smoother Bryston over the ProAcs.

Being a subjective thing, it's really something you should hear for yourself :)

That is very interesting to know! With the new CP 800 added to the equation, I am just wondering if B&W way is still valid or not.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
In my head I would place your electronics on a slight warm side (the AMS 35i + Linn DS as well as Arcam) and KEF match pretty well. Where as with the CP 800 + CA 2100, I am not too sure if KEF makes more sense or the 804D.

My system isn't warm in the "overly smooth with a slightly overblown bass" sense. It has no glare or graininess, but an exciting and dramatic liquid musicality. The Linn is the most analogue sounding streamer I've heard, and Cardas is on the warmer side (especially compared to the leaner presentation of say, Nordost).....so this is exactly what the Kefs portray.

When you get the Classe gear complete, it will deserve a great source and this will also have an effect on the final sound. You won't be able to second guess your decision, and only some detailed listening will be the acid test......synergy with the rest of the system and the room is vital.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My system isn't warm in the "overly smooth with a slightly overblown bass" sense. It has no glare or graininess, but an exciting and dramatic liquid musicality. The Linn is the most analogue sounding streamer I've heard, and Cardas is on the warmer side (especially compared to the leaner presentation of say, Nordost).....so this is exactly what the Kefs portray.

When you get the Classe gear complete, it will deserve a great source and this will also have an effect on the final sound. You won't be able to second guess your decision, and only some detailed listening will be the acid test......synergy with the rest of the system and the room is vital.

Exactly..

Regarding the source, I guess with CP 800 + CA 2100 it is all there. CP800 is the pre-amp + DAC which gets the lossless music from Mac Mini via Optical. I do not intend to buy any other CD player or further DAC (even if I try also, it might be tough for me to beat the DAC in CP 800 !)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
Exactly..

Regarding the source, I guess with CP 800 + CA 2100 it is all there. CP800 is the pre-amp + DAC which gets the lossless music from Mac Mini via Optical. I do not intend to buy any other CD player or further DAC (even if I try also, it might be tough for me to beat the DAC in CP 800 !)

Sorry, I forgot about that, as I got into my head that you would be using the MDac....but I've had a long day and my brain is in a knot!!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Sorry, I forgot about that, as I got into my head that you would be using the MDac....but I've had a long day and my brain is in a knot!!

:) Yeah.. I can understand. Somedays are longer.. But that is alright.. I need to pick your fresh brain some other day when I am about to make the decision on the speakers ;)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Rick. Though 804D is an obvious partner, I am wondering I miss the Dynamics that I have with Tannoys.Kef R700 fits the bill but the question would be to go one go upgrade or do in steps. Live with R700 for some time and once I have more experience upgrade to 5K mark speakers.

Still considering all the possibilities.

WishTree said:
Thanks Rick. Though 804D is an obvious partner, I am wondering I miss the Dynamics that I have with Tannoys.Kef R700 fits the bill but the question would be to go one go upgrade or do in steps. Live with R700 for some time and once I have more experience upgrade to 5K mark speakers.

Still considering all the possibilities.

Hi WishTree

Your welcome.

Yes, there is no harm in starting off at the £2k mark for speakers and then moving further upmarket :)

Anyway if i may come back to your original plan then as you're now also considering conventionally shaped speakers (other then R700's) i'll also recommend that you should try ATC's SCM50 passive monitors. SCM50's are unlikey to win any external beauty contests however as with SCM50's their real beauty lies within i.e. look at ATC's state of the art drive units in the flesh (away from the cabinets). Using SCM50's please have a listen to the simple and old track Tere Bina Zindagi Se (Lata Mangeshkar) and at the opposite end the film Immortals on Blu Ray (which is the finest recording i've heard on Blu Ray to date - outstanding) using your electronics. I think you be pleasantly surprised when you hear Lata's voice through the Super Soft Dome.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/studioDriveUnits.php

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts