KEF R7 - WHICH AMP OR ALL-IN-ONE

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I really loved the sound of these speakers, especially their round, tridimensional but precise bass.
I'll have to position them into a 25mq living room (@ 30cm from the wall)
What kind of amplifier do you raccomande?
I've got a real sweet tooth for the "all-in-one" solution for aesthetic and usability reason (arc function, spotify connect , and the confort of listen the music playing from the speakers only starting spotify from smatphone/tablet/pc)
I have a thing for Naim Uniti Atom.
Will 40 "efficient" watt enough for these speakers and room?
Is naim - kef r7 a good fit? Some people think that Naim sound could be "too generous" for the bass of these speakers

Last edited:
He Everyone,

I really loved the sound of these speakers, especially their round, tridimensional but precise bass.
I'll have to position them into a 25mq living room (@ 30cm from the wall)
What kind of amplifier do you raccomande?
I've got a real sweet tooth for the "all-in-one" solution for aesthetic and usability reason (arc function, spotify connect , and the confort of listen the music playing from the speakers only starting spotify from smatphone/tablet/pc)
I have a thing for Naim Uniti Atom.
Will 40 "efficient" watt enough for these speakers and room?
Is naim - kef r7 a good fit? Some people think that Naim sound could be "too generous" for the bass of these speakers
Welcome...

The KEF R range are pretty well balanced speakers. This means their not over fussy when it comes amplification.

Depends what your max budget is - you mentioned Naim, presumably the entry-level model....

What brands are local to you?

There will be a number of amplifiers that can stream available around the Atom’s price point that will drive and control the R7s much better than the Atom, which is more of a “lifestyle” system. The Atom sits inbetween the Hegel H120 and H190, and even a H120 will do a better job. Ideally though, I’d be recommending the H190 to get the best from the R7. I appreciate you might want to keep things “lifestyle”, if so, I’d try and find something with a bit more grunt.

Reactions: nopiano
There will be a number of amplifiers that can stream available around the Atom’s price point that will drive and control the R7s much better than the Atom, which is more of a “lifestyle” system. The Atom sits inbetween the Hegel H120 and H190, and even a H120 will do a better job. Ideally though, I’d be recommending the H190 to get the best from the R7. I appreciate you might want to keep things “lifestyle”, if so, I’d try and find something with a bit more grunt.
The OP is spoilt for choice, assuming he has a decent budget:
Cambridge Evo
Arcam SA30
NAD
Leema Quasar

As I mentioned above it boils down to what's locally available.

Reactions: Al ears
I know nothing about this manufacturer. Their amps have a lovely design and that hybrid solid state and tube looks intriguing. Do you have any experience with them?
Almost bought on on spec but had a really good offer on my current amp I have no idea about their streaming software as I don't stream but as an amplifier there isn't much you can get wrong......and I like the looks :)
Buying direct, as they don't appear to have too many UK dealers apart from Kronos AV, you should be able to return if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Almost bought on on spec but had a really good offer on my current amp I have no idea about their streaming software as I don't stream but as an amplifier there isn't much you can get wrong......and I like the looks :)
Buying direct, as they don't appear to have too many UK dealers apart from Kronos AV, you should be able to return if you don't like it.
I've never heard of them. They look really nice, especially the dancing meters

Reactions: Al ears

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
Welcome...

The KEF R range are pretty well balanced speakers. This means their not over fussy when it comes amplification.

Depends what your max budget is - you mentioned Naim, presumably the entry-level model....

What brands are local to you?
I can tell you my budget, but I havo no idea for brands or kind of solutions (all-in-one/ampliflier+streamer) but I can tell you 2 things:
I'm quite fussy about finiture/aestetichs also becouse the width of my tv cabibet is only 31cm/12" inside and I have to set the amplifier on the top (width =36cm /14")
My budget for amplifier+streamer/all-in one is € 3.000/2500£

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
Ci sarà un numero di amplificatori in grado di trasmettere in streaming intorno al prezzo dell'Atom che guideranno e controlleranno gli R7 molto meglio dell'Atom, che è più un sistema "stile di vita". L'Atom si trova tra l'Hegel H120 e l'H190, e anche un H120 farà un lavoro migliore. Idealmente, consiglierei l'H190 per ottenere il meglio dall'R7. Apprezzo che tu voglia le cose "stile di vita", se è così, proverei a trovare qualcosa con un po' più di grugnito.
[/CITAZIONE]
hegel 190 è un po' fuori budget ed è troppo largo per il mio mobile tv

I can tell you my budget, but I havo no idea for brands or kind of solutions (all-in-one/ampliflier+streamer) but I can tell you 2 things:
I'm quite fussy about finiture/aestetichs also becouse the width of my tv cabibet is only 31cm/12" inside and I have to set the amplifier on the top (width =36cm /14")
My budget for amplifier+streamer/all-in one is € 3.000/2500£
If I'm reading this correctly, you have nowhere else other than a small cabinet to place the amp?

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
What amplification are you using or you heard the speakers with please?

What is the upper limit of your budget?

Out of interest did you also hear any other speakers?
Now I have only the speakers, they will arrive in 10th gen
As I said to plastic penguin 3.000€/2500£ for amp+streamer
I will use only for spotify premium connect/tidal/ and to see 4k film on my 65" oled (with dune hd pro vision 4k )
Music I listen: 80's pop/rock, synthpop, electronic, funk,

Unfortunately no, but 14" of width aren't so few. Uniti nova for example was perfect if it weren't so expensive...
A all-in-one solution that springs to mind is the Marantz M-CR612 or Melody X. It has 60 watts per channel, CD player and many other digital inputs. The retail cost £699. I heard the earlier version on Q Acoustic speakers & it's fabulous for the money

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
A all-in-one solution that springs to mind is the Marantz M-CR612 or Melody X. It has 60 watts per channel, CD player and many other digital inputs. The retail cost £699. I heard the earlier version on Q Acoustic speakers & it's fabulous for the money
Marantz m-cr612 sounds like entry level product :unsure: Yes, nova uniti is a little out of budget,but we jump from 699 to +4000£ of uniti nova ....I hope to find some alternative in this range of price
or maybe consider a good used uniti nova.
What hifi review described its sound "muscolar". I hope this kind of muscolar sound fit well with kef r7
And they complained about Naim App ....In 2017, 5 years ago it was "so and so"... Has it been improved?

Last edited:

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi. With that speaker placement, I'd look at something with room correction, like a Linn Majik DSM.
Not necessarily used, (unlike uniti nova :ROFLMAO:) 2400£can be done
But it has only 10w plus the uniti atom @ 8 ohm, is it correct?(100w @ 4ohm/50w 8ohm) Kef are 8hm
And its build and aesthetics is not the best

Anyway I considerer also amplifier integrated + external streamer if we can keep the budget, and if we can find a smart and pratice solutions in term of connectivity in addition to the measurement for the tv cabinet

Last edited:
Marantz m-cr612 sounds like entry level product :unsure: Yes, nova uniti is a little out of budget,but we jump from 699 to +4000£ of uniti nova ....I hope to find some alternative in this range of price
or maybe consider a good used uniti nova.
What hifi review described its sound "muscolar". I hope this kind of muscolar sound fit well with kef r7
And they complained about Naim App ....In 2017, 5 years ago it was "so and so"... Has it been improved?
It is entry-level but it punches well beyond it's price tag. I've not heard that particular model but the previous 603 and that's stunning. No reason why the latest model shouldn't be.

And it will or should fit on your shelves

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
Do you think that Uniti (atom/nova/star) will be long-lived? I mean for the streamer/networking/
They were released 4/5 years ago. I'm considering to buy one of them (the expensive nova only used for my budget) but I don't know if in a few years they will still be valid in term of streaming etc and if will have a good used market.

rainsoothe

Do you think that Uniti (atom/nova/star) will be long-lived? I mean for the streamer/networking/
They were released 4/5 years ago. I'm considering to buy one of them (the expensive nova only used for my budget) but I don't know if in a few years they will still be valid in term of streaming etc and if will have a good used market.
I'd like to keep things separated because digital changes all the time, amplification does not. Convenience wise, all in ones are better. I love Naim's sound, but their software is hit and miss sometimes, and in comparison to Linn, they don't have room correction (which, again, i think will be of great benefit to you). Also, if I remember correctly, Linn stuff can be updated to the latest tech stuff, your dealer will simply replace modules inside it etc.

As for sound, you really have to audition for yourself. I think WHF's review of the Linn Majik is mostly irrelevant, it's just a matter of preference. I still prefer Naim, but on later consideration i really prefer the convenience of Linn. Also better software.

Also wattage is not as important as you might think. Double the watts only means a 3 decibel increase in percieved volume. Power is good if you have low sensitivity speakers and you wanna go really, really loud with them. Otherwise, current delivery is more important imo - and none of these all-in-ones will leave you wanting. Yes, a Nova will sound better than an Atom, no doubt about that. But only you can decide if it fits your tastes and room.

Audition.

P.S.: Just to make waters murkier, there's also the option of getting an Atom headphone edition and a used naim Nap 200, which will be a better power amp than what's inside a Nova.

Or Bluesound Node (which you can upgrade with a kick-ass DAC at a later date, like Denafrips Pontus 2 or Chord Qutest or w/e) + a Naim Nait XS3 or Rega or w/e :)

5eya

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
...e in confronto a Linn, non hanno la correzione della stanza (che, di nuovo, penso che sarà di grande beneficio per te).
Also Lyngdorf tdai 2170 has the roomp perfect i think.
What do you think of this all-in-one?
Could Nad m10 be a valid alternative?

P.S.: Just to make waters murkier, there's also the option of getting an Atom headphone edition and a used naim Nap 200, which will be a better power amp than what's inside a Nova.
Question: why do you think that atom headphone edition is better than atom classic? What are the differences? Considering I never use the headphone.
I thought nova was superior then the atom also for dac, circuits and other components, not only for the power.
Are you sure that atom + nap200 will be better than nova? What's the benefit of this solution compared to the nova?
I considerer an used nova around 2700-3000£. Nap200 used around 850£ + atom headphone edition (only new) around 2400£ = the same price of a used nova.
Is it possible to connect atom classic (used ) with the nap200? (also used)
In this case the total price will be less than nova (used)

Or Bluesound Node (which you can upgrade with a kick-ass DAC at a later date, like Denafrips Pontus 2 or Chord Qutest or w/e) + a Naim Nait XS3 or Rega or w/e :)
It's another good solution but is it possible to play the music without switch on the amplifier (trigger)?
How can I connect all these devices in order to make easy and direct listening to music or watch a movie (arc)?

Last edited:
Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts