KEF R500 sound signature question

Anthrow

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello guy's,

I need your advice for the KEF R500. I have come across a great deal for the R500 that lasts until stock runs out. And stock is down to 2 pairs :p. Unfortunately there is not enough time to give them an audition.

I have heard the R700's and was very impressed. My question is whether the R500 will perform equally as good (although with a slightly smaller sound and less base). I am a bit shy on blindly purchasing them because i find the difference between the Q700 and Q500 tremendous. I don't think the Q500 sound great at all. So I am hoping you guys can give me clarity.

My listening area is 6m X 4m with the listening distance being 4m. The speakers will be placed about 30 cm from the wall and hooked up (for the time being) on my Marantz SR6008.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I have placed this post on another forum as well, since time is short, hope you guys can understand. :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the R500s are very good speakers but the R700s are materially better (which is why I bought them!). I went to a dealer with the intention of buying at the R500 price point but on hearing the R700s decided they were worth the extra. The R700s shine on solo voice and opera, it was there I noticed the biggest differences. Your space is quite large so you might need a bigger speaker. However I also have a big space and I used to have the Q500s, which I found to be very good, although not in the same class as the R series.

My advice is that unless money is the deciding issue I would go for the R700s. I am still enthralled with the sound they produce after several months now.

I hope that is useful.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Anthrow said:
I have heard the R700's and was very impressed. My question is whether the R500 will perform equally as good (although with a slightly smaller sound and less base).

If you have heard the R700s, you will have a very good idea about how the R500s will sound...the R500s just have less scale and authority, but still pack a good punch.

I agree with Covenanter, in so much that if you were paying full list, the R700s are well worth the extra (in a room that size); but if you are getting a great deal on the R500s, that might change the VFM dynamic.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Both the r500 and the r700 are realy great speakers I would go for the r700 in a room that size they are a bit to big for my room or I would have had a pair

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I am still enthralled with the sound they produce after several months now.

I hope that is useful.

Chris

Why that don't surprise me! I feel the same about my Dyns X12 and I've them for two and half years, and some time i still get surprised... That what happens when you buy what you like.*biggrin*

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Anthrow said:
Thanks for the good input and advice guys. It's much appreciated. However now I am unsure whether to go for the 500 or 700. So I decided to wait and take an audition. It's a bit too much money to purchase blindly IMHO. :)

Very sensible.

Chris

Anthrow

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the good input and advice guys. It's much appreciated. However now I am unsure whether to go for the 500 or 700, since this great discount also applies on the R700. So I decided to wait and take an audition. This is a great opportunity to get a great speaker for a fair price. I should make a quality decision. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I understand how you feel about the difference between the Q500 and the Q700, but the R500 and R700 are far closer to each other than the two Q models. That said, for your size room I'd be looking at the R700.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
The R500 & R700 are two of the speakers on my audition list.

How do they compare with the likes of the PMC Twenty-23, or the OB1i ?

R Series - Clean, refined, detailed and muscial with a powerful bass.

PMC .23 - Fast, open, detailed, revealing and lean.

OB1i - These have a warmer, darker, fuller sound, as compared to the .23s

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure that the Marantz SR6008 have enough power to move the KEF R700 at their full potential . I made in the past the same mistake bought

the Mission MX 5 and tried to move them with AVR YAMAHA RXV 767 both share similar specifications it term of power to the OP, the result was underpowered system .

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gowiththeflow said:
The R500 & R700 are two of the speakers on my audition list.

How do they compare with the likes of the PMC Twenty-23, or the OB1i ?

R Series - Clean, refined, detailed and muscial with a powerful bass.

PMC .23 - Fast, open, detailed, revealing and lean.

OB1i - These have a warmer, darker, fuller sound, as compared to the .23s

Many thanks.

It's just that I'll be looking at alternatives to compare the KEF's with and the PMC .23 seemed to be an obvious candidate, along with the Focal Aria 926. A mint pair of PMC OB1i's were a recent tempting option, albeit more expensive, but I would have been buying without hearing them.

Original ideas on amplification included the NAIT XS2 and Elicit-R, but I'm looking at other options too. How about the Musical Fidelity M6i or M6Si, with the above speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Many thanks.

It's just that I'll be looking at alternatives to compare the KEF's with and the PMC .23 seemed to be an obvious candidate, along with the Focal Aria 926. A mint pair of PMC OB1i's were a recent tempting option, albeit more expensive, but I would have been buying without hearing them.

Original ideas on amplification included the NAIT XS2 and Elicit-R, but I'm looking at other options too. How about the Musical Fidelity M6i or M6Si, with the above speakers?

MF's new "Si" models are supposed to be a good step up, so should be on your shortlist.

Electrocompaniet (eg. ECI-3/PI-2) are a known match with PMC

Other amps to consider might be Bel Canto C5i, Sugden A21 SE (known match with Proac) and Pathos Classic One Mk111.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gowiththeflow said:
Many thanks.

MF's new "Si" models are supposed to be a good step up, so should be on your shortlist.

Electrocompaniet (eg. ECI-3/PI-2) are a known match with PMC

Other amps to consider might be Bel Canto C5i, Sugden A21 SE (known match with Proac) and Pathos Classic One Mk111.

all good choices. Check out the Creek Destiny 2 too.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Covenanter said:
I am still enthralled with the sound they produce after several months now.

I hope that is useful.

Chris

Why that don't surprise me! I feel the same about my Dyns X12 and I've them for two and half years, and some time i still get surprised... That what happens when you buy what you like.*biggrin*

Well Ive read many rave reviews when someone buys a new hifi item, only to find they are changing it in a few months or year later, or coming back with problems after a while.

Anthrow

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
A few weeks later and proud owner of a pair PMC 23's. I auditioned allot of speakers and compared to the PMC, B&W CM8 and the new Triangle Esprit Antal I have to say that the KEF R700 and R500 really couldn't interest me at all. I Auditioned the speakers on a Music Hall A70.2 and Marantz SR6008. I was amazed how good the sound stage of the Marantz was btw, obviously the Music Hall delivered higher quality audio, but the difference wasn't as huge as I expected.

The 23's are about 60 hours in and they are opening up lovely. I am really falling in love with their honest and natural soundstage. Once again audio proves to be very personal. Purchasing speakers without auditioning them... a big no for me. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Anthrow said:
A few weeks later and proud owner of a pair PMC 23's. I auditioned allot of speakers and compared to the PMC, B&W CM8 and the new Triangle Esprit Antal I have to say that the KEF R700 and R500 really couldn't interest me at all. I Auditioned the speakers on a Music Hall A70.2 and Marantz SR6008. I was amazed how good the sound stage of the Marantz was btw, obviously the Music Hall delivered higher quality audio, but the difference wasn't as huge as I expected.

The 23's are about 60 hours in and they are opening up lovely. I am really falling in love with their honest and natural soundstage. Once again audio proves to be very personal. Purchasing speakers without auditioning them... a big no for me. :)

You went, you demoed and you chose....it's the only way.

I'm glad you have found what you were after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts