Kef R50 upfiring atmos speakers

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Series1boy said:
ideal av said:
Series1boy said:
Does anyone have any experience of these with the Denon X6200?

yep

i`ve installed a denon X6200 with the R50`s a couple of times

and.... What is your experience with them, any good?

the overall sound was infact quite good but to get the desired Atmos effect, as with any upfiring speaker module, can take quite a bit of time and you may or may not get it at its best simply because of seating positions

its certainly not a plug and play upgrade and you need to be able to spend time in getting the angles and seating distance right before the WOW starts happening

the Denon drives them very well so you shouldn`t have any issues there
thumbs_up.gif

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ideal av said:
Series1boy said:
ideal av said:
Series1boy said:
Does anyone have any experience of these with the Denon X6200?

yep

i`ve installed a denon X6200 with the R50`s a couple of times

and.... What is your experience with them, any good?

the overall sound was infact quite good but to get the desired Atmos effect, as with any upfiring speaker module, can take quite a bit of time and you may or may not get it at its best simply because of seating positions

its certainly not a plug and play upgrade and you need to be able to spend time in getting the angles and seating distance right before the WOW starts happening

the Denon drives them very well so you shouldn`t have any issues there

thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm going to demo them and also look at front and rear heights as well before I take the plunge. I've previously used the onkyo up-firing and they were rubbish.

installing down firing speakers is too much of a massive job I'm afraid..

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Series1boy said:
thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm going to demo them and also look at front and rear heights as well before I take the plunge. I've previously used the onkyo up-firing and they were rubbish.

try to take an objective view on what you might hear, depending where you are going for the demo could determine how good or bad they have been setup

installing the recessed in ceiling speakers may be a massive job to some but if done correctly look neat and i`ve never known them fail to impress, if decent speakers are used that is

good luck and if you want to listen to a good Atmos setup/demo then give me a shout

Allan

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello Allan@idealAV, you may remember that we briefly discussed the merits of Dolby Atmos on the AVForums. May I pick your brains please. My seating area in my parlour is covers about half of the room, the seats are shown in the photograph below. You can see that the seating covers three rows.

Image004_2068_kB_3-Mar-2014_14h31_B60_zpse2ef7a19.jpg

So, may I ask you these four questions:

1. Is there a maximum or indeed a minumum ceiling height that is suitable for Dolby Atmos? I ask because the ceiling height in my parlour and the bedrooms is almost eleven feet, whereas the ceiling height in the kitchen is only 7' 6".

2. Are those maximum and minimum ceiling heights different for upfiring speakers compared with ceiling-mounted speakers?

3. With either upfiring or ceiling-mounted Dolby speakers, would I be able to get the Atmos effect to cover the whole seating area in the parlour?

4. Which ceiling-mounted speakers can your recommend that will be of the same quality as the Kef up-firing Atmos modules, and how much do they cost?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ideal av said:
Series1boy said:

try to take an objective view on what you might hear, depending where you are going for the demo could determine how good or bad they have been setup

installing the recessed in ceiling speakers may be a massive job to some but if done correctly look neat and i`ve never known them fail to impress, if decent speakers are used that is

good luck and if you want to listen to a good Atmos setup/demo then give me a shout

Allan

do you have the r50s to demo?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Use height speakers instead of upfiring.

Front height, rear height or side front height - bit of effort, less than in ceiling but it will be worth it the long run. Its always going to be compromised bouncing sound by comparison.

I heard the R50 upfiring today actually - They were part of a demo setup but it was more of a video demo but I couldnt tell if they were on or off.

If they were off then fair enough - if on I got nothing from them - just so you know.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Use height speakers instead of upfiring.

Front height, rear height or side front height - bit of effort, less than in ceiling but it will be worth it the long run. Its always going to be compromised bouncing sound by comparison.

I heard the R50 upfiring today actually - They were part of a demo setup but it was more of a video demo but I couldnt tell if they were on or off.

If they were off then fair enough - if on I got nothing from them - just so you know.

i am thinking of front and rear heights but just want to tick the upfiring kefs off my list to make sure...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:

But you wouldn't know what they were adding unless you heard the system with them on, and then with them off.

I'd say it's a good thing that you couldn't tell that they were on or not - speakers shouldn't draw any attention to themselves unless they're producing a discreet, mono signal... :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've posted before about the Klipsch RP140SA units. Do signed to fit where walls meet ceilings, speaker cones angled downwards.
Would be surprised if you couldn't get similar in the UK.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Hello Allan@idealAV

you may remember that we briefly discussed the merits of Dolby Atmos on the AVForums. May I pick your brains please. My seating area in my parlour is covers about half of the room, the seats are shown in the photograph below. You can see that the seating covers three rows.

1. Is there a maximum or indeed a minumum ceiling height that is suitable for Dolby Atmos? I ask because the ceiling height in my parlour and the bedrooms is almost eleven feet, whereas the ceiling height in the kitchen is only 7' 6".

2. Are those maximum and minimum ceiling heights different for upfiring speakers compared with ceiling-mounted speakers?

3. With either upfiring or ceiling-mounted Dolby speakers, would I be able to get the Atmos effect to cover the whole seating area in the parlour?

4. Which ceiling-mounted speakers can your recommend that will be of the same quality as the Kef up-firing Atmos modules, and how much do they cost?

your ceiling heights shouldn`t really restrict you as levelling your speakers will/should sort out any issues you might have with distance/latency, i`d suggest if going with a lower ceiling fitment to choose a speaker with a wider dispersion characteristic

i`m not a fan of the upfiring modules, not saying they don`t work as i`ve heard them done properly and they sounded great, but you have a lot of variables/setting up to do with regards to distances, angles and seating positions, and your seating on the back wall i`d say would be not recommended at all to achieve the overhead spread

the KEF`s are the ones i`ve heard and they sounded good but to be honest the guys at Dolby labs would have spent days/weeks maybe longer getting it to sound the way it did so if your prepared to do the homework then good results can be had

we as installers always go down the MK/Dali route with great results but these may be out of your budget, it depends on how good you want it to be

Allan

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Series1boy said:
ideal av said:
Series1boy said:

Allan

do you have the r50s to demo?

no i`m sorry, i don`t use upfiring modules of any manufacturer as there`s too much messing about with them getting all the variables right, distance - angles

as i suggest to everyone, if you can accomodate in ceiling speakers then that is the way to go for me and what we do on every installation

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Hello Allan@idealAV

you may remember that we briefly discussed the merits of Dolby Atmos on the AVForums. May I pick your brains please. My seating area in my parlour is covers about half of the room, the seats are shown in the photograph below. You can see that the seating covers three rows.

your ceiling heights shouldn`t really restrict you as levelling your speakers will/should sort out any issues you might have with distance/latency, i`d suggest if going with a lower ceiling fitment to choose a speaker with a wider dispersion characteristic

i`m not a fan of the upfiring modules, not saying they don`t work as i`ve heard them done properly and they sounded great, but you have a lot of variables/setting up to do with regards to distances, angles and seating positions, and your seating on the back wall i`d say would be not recommended at all to achieve the overhead spread

the KEF`s are the ones i`ve heard and they sounded good but to be honest the guys at Dolby labs would have spent days/weeks maybe longer getting it to sound the way it did so if your prepared to do the homework then good results can be had

we as installers always go down the MK/Dali in ceiling route with great results but these may be out of your budget, it depends on how good you want it to be

Allan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts