KEF R300 vs LS50

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
I am able to buy a Cyrus PreXvs+XPower for a decent price, but i am wondering if this will be a significant upgrade compared to my current Cyrus 6XP. I mostly listen at lower volumes and have the impression that the 6XP can do this without problems.

That combo will be better. Playing well at lower volume requires a cleaner, more dynamic amplifier.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I finally decided and bought the LS50. :)

For me the LS50 are clearly better than the R300 although the R300 are also very good.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that you will not regret this choice! I was very impressed with the Kef's even with a relatively "cheap" tube-amp which made it a little loose in the bass, i could not deny it's "effortless" sound. But i will first demo a better tube-amp (better in bass and dynamics), and i'm still curious about the new Epos line. After that i could return to the Kef LS50.

A

Anonymous

how is your 5.1 system working out with the ls50's? mind if i ask which av amp you paired with?

i asked the kef guys about it as an idea and they recommended the ls50's as front speakers only.....

im picking a pair up soon, was thinking about getting three more..

techblogpool

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought these a month ago and have been experimenting with them a bit. I auditioned them and actually did not get to the second speaker and just made a straight decision. I had to have that sound at home straight away! :)

I came to the shop a week later to hear them against what they had available, the R700. I did an A/B comparison with many songs, the setup was an all Cambridge audio SACD player and amp and some media streamer.

My home setup is completely different, I watch films first and listen to music second so I have a Denon AVR-2113 and a Denon DBT-1713UD and a have some quite cheap and cheerful Yamahas as the center (NS 444) and rears (NS 333).

So, on the Cambridge setup, the main difference to my ears was the "size" of the sound, the R700s simply produce a huge wall of sound, the number of drivers, the size of the cabinet, the volume of the lows are just tad more captivating.

However when I switched to LS50s, the mids and highs gained clarity and "truthfullness" to die for! Not sure which word to use but the music seemed more musical to me.

Back at my place, which is an ordinairy 5x5 sitting room, I find the speakers sound best when placed exactly at ear lever and 0.5m from the wall. Since I used the yamahas before and only for movies (I hated them for any kind of music), I had them placed on the cupboard first. That was a huge mistake, these speakers deserve a lot of space and some good stands! So I ordered new stands and they sound now exactly the way I remembered them at the audition. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised how my AV receiver handles them. I expected worse. They sound just as exciting and open and truthful as they did in the shop. However, to my ears, not so much at low volume. They become really exciting and engaging just above the 12" o'clock dial (display says 60).

I also tried placing them in the center speaker position, which in my setup is below the TV, inside the cupboard, way below the ear level and they sound dull, distant and muffled that way. The tweeter really has to be at the ear lever to sound at its best.

One day I will get rid of my home cinema and use them with a proper amp to fully use their potential. One day. :)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
ErwinC said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
One thing I will mention, is that what the R series and LS50 is ultimately capable of is very dependent on the accompanying electronics. They're the same as the Blades - they can sound great, or they can sound phenomenal.

What amplifier below £1500 works best with the LS50 according to you? I currently still use a Cyrus 6XP.

The R series has worked on almost any amplifier we've tried them on, but I would say that the LS50's will be a little more fussy because of their slightly different presentation. They seem to sound great on a Naim Nait XS, the Leema Elements amplifier, various Cyrus integrateds, and on the end of an Audiolab 8200CDQ/8200P combination too. A 6xp will work fine, but adding a power amp at a later date will definitely benefit.

ErwinC said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Exactly why I'll be changing my R300's for LS50's for my 5.1 system :)

You will be using 5 LS50's en 1 subwoofer?

Yes, it'll be five LS50's used as satellites, and a single subwoofer.

What did you do with the spare ls50 ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:

Still got it all wrapped up. Chances are, with the impending delivery of the Ken Kreisel speakers, I'll be wanting those as soon as I hear them (I have missed my M&K's!), so these will either be sold as a 6.0 system, split down to stereo pairs, or sold as a 5.1 as there is someone interested in my single one as a centre.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
alchemist 1 said:

Still got it all wrapped up. Chances are, with the impending delivery of the Ken Kreisel speakers, I'll be wanting those as soon as I hear them (I have missed my M&K's!), so these will either be sold as a 6.0 system, split down to stereo pairs, or sold as a 5.1 as there is someone interested in my single one as a centre.

Would be interested in the single speaker David if it became available. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The R300's reach deeper with regards to bass, which is helped by its cabinet volume and dedicated bass driver. They're larger in scale which is to be expected really as they are a larger speaker than the DB1i's. Even though detail levels are probably similar, they're smoother too, but some may prefer the brighter sound of the DB1i's. They're much better built than the DB1i's, allowing them to sound cleaner which helps towards them 'disappearing'. The difference in cabinet construction is pretty substantial - boxy isn't the sort of label you could attach to the R300's.

The DB1i's excel at lower level listening. They're a great little speaker, and they'd certainly work a little better in smaller rooms. Even though there are many benefits to the R300's, I'd still recommend people to try the DB1i as they are a good little speaker, and fairly easy to drive too.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The R300's reach deeper with regards to bass, which is helped by its cabinet volume and dedicated bass driver. They're larger in scale which is to be expected really as they are a larger speaker than the DB1i's. Even though detail levels are probably similar, they're smoother too, but some may prefer the brighter sound of the DB1i's. They're much better built than the DB1i's, allowing them to sound cleaner which helps towards them 'disappearing'. The difference in cabinet construction is pretty substantial - boxy isn't the sort of label you could attach to the R300's.

The DB1i's excel at lower level listening. They're a great little speaker, and they'd certainly work a little better in smaller rooms. Even though there are many benefits to the R300's, I'd still recommend people to try the DB1i as they are a good little speaker, and fairly easy to drive too.

Thanks David. I have said many times DB1is are one of my favourite sub-1k standmounters (even though they've just crept over that threshold). It's just whether they'll sound fine a foot from the rear wall, like the DB1s,...

Really I'm to discover which speakers have the virtues of the RS6s, yet eliminate the negatives of the MAs - DB1is certainly tick those boxes, as does Totem Arros.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think you'd like the R300's based on the sort of level of bass you're used to, although the R300's will sound cleaner, and you should find the R300's more seamless at its crossover points, particularly midrange to treble. Using the outer bungs, they should be fine a foot from the wall - I had mine closer. The DB1i's HF will be more like the MA's though. It'll be interesting to see how you view them after a demo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
charliecharlie said:
how is your 5.1 system working out with the ls50's? mind if i ask which av amp you paired with?

i asked the kef guys about it as an idea and they recommended the ls50's as front speakers only.....

im picking a pair up soon, was thinking about getting three more..

Who are you asking?

The LS50's will work well as rears as well. They're a pretty wide dispersion, and in the mixing studios they use direct firing speakers all round, so with the LS50's all round you're hearing it more like they were when they were mixing the movie.

Yup, based on comments I've read here they do seem to come close to "my sound". I also work on the unscientific basis that if the RS6s sound fine 12" from the wall then a standmount should also. In addition the Leema's bass is so tight, and fairly leanish, should cover all aspects... I hope. :)

Thanks again, David.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Which is the best speaker of these two? I can get those for the same price. Do I get audiophile sound compare to my wharfedales 155? I see this as a long time investment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
Which is the best speaker of these two? I can get those for the same price. Do I get audiophile sound compare to my wharfedales 155? I see this as a long time investment.

Depends.......probably not the answer you were looking for.

If you are looking for a slightly more detailed, cleaner, neutral and controlled sound.....the LS50s would be my pick.

Wheras, if you want more scale in a bigger room, and a slightly more forgiving sound.......it would be the R300s.

I can't compare them with the 155s as I haven't heard them.

Also IMO. they ideally need an amp that's more in line with the cost of them

eindhoven

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody have an idea which one will sound better with Marantz CD6003, PM7003 and do I need to consider R500 as an option. My room is 3.5 by 7 but I only listen to 3.5 x 3.5. I Ilike the warm sound of R300 but there was something appealing in the more open LS50. I don't want to add sub and will use them for music only

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
eindhoven said:
Does anybody have an idea which one will sound better with Marantz CD6003, PM7003 and do I need to consider R500 as an option. My room is 3.5 by 7 but I only listen to 3.5 x 3.5. I Ilike the warm sound of R300 but there was something appealing in the more open LS50. I don't want to add sub and will use them for music only

If you want scale and impact, the R500s would be my choice. If you want speed and detail, with a tight punchy and revealing sound...look at the LS50s.

Only a detailed listen, will give you your answers.

eindhoven

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Cno, I've had MA RX8 and I'm a bit afraid that floorstanders could be too big for this room - that is why I was mainly considering bookshelves, but I'll audition R500 too :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts