KEF R300 vs LS50

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a pair of KEF R300 at home for testing and i have to say i am very impressed even with my modest Cyrus 6XP amplifier. Since the LS50 is not yet available for testing i was wondering what the major differences are between the LS50 and the R300.

The size of the LS50 is more suited for my setup but i don't like the fact that there is no front cover for the LS50.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There aren't that many people that have heard the LS50 (let alone with Cyrus), so David (F.Harvey) may be your best hope.

I suspect you will find it more revealing, but less "comfortable," due to its studio monitor gnome.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
...due to its studio monitor gnome.

As used by Radio Gnome?...

Gong.jpg

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The R300s are a bigger speaker and will give you that extra push in the bass if you need the volume. The LS50 is a slightly more refined and solid sound to my mind. They are both exceptional so only an audition will determine which is best for you. I would have the LS50's as the build quality and the coloured drive units are fantastic.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have been listening to the KEF R300 this weekend and although i find them really great in almost all areas, i think they miss a bit air and voices are projected behind the speakers. Associated equipment is Vincent CD-S6 tube cd player and Cyrus 6XP amplifier. Speaker cable is Kimber 4TC, interconnects QED silver spiral.

Will this improve after playing in the speakers?

SPLAT

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
The LS-50s are certainly an improvement over the R100s and have a different timbre, and a warmer sound. But when you go up to the R300s that all changes. The Uni-Q midrange and Kef's new bass drive unit make all the difference. The R300s jerk out the bass like a much bigger floor-stander. Myself, I’d go with the R300s. As for the absence of a dustcover… I like the “rose-gold” drive unit.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
ErwinC said:
I have been listening to the KEF R300 this weekend and although i find them really great in almost all areas, i think they miss a bit air and voices are projected behind the speakers. Associated equipment is Vincent CD-S6 tube cd player and Cyrus 6XP amplifier. Speaker cable is Kimber 4TC, interconnects QED silver spiral.

What you are hearing depends on what you are comparing with! Your own speakers might be different, but since you are listening to new speakers you are looking for a different sound!

I had to get used to vocals (sometimes!) projected behind the speakers because they belonged there! It took some time to find out that this was i was really looking for: real tube-sound. Now i am very happy with what i found out and enjoy it almost every day!

For real "air" i think you must turn to a tube-amp.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC said:
ErwinC said:

No opinions/experiences on this?

Since nobody answered my question i did some extra research ;) . When reading the KEF R300 (and other KEF R speakers) in the German audio magazines, my findings with the R300 were confirmed. Altough the German magazines love the R300 (and other KEF R speakers) and rate them high, they said that these speakers are less suited for well damped rooms. The sound becomes a bit dark and highs are missing according to the reviewers. Since my room is well damped i can only confirm this.

Since today i am listening to a pair of new LS50 speakers in my own setup and i have to say these are totally different beasts. ;) The sound is more direct, more detailled and more open. The speakers still have to be played in, but the result is already better than with the R300 although i still lack a bit of air and would like the voices a bit more forward. I will see if this changes the next days.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:
What you are hearing depends on what you are comparing with! Your own speakers might be different, but since you are listening to new speakers you are looking for a different sound!

Agreed, but i was looking for something similar but better, not for a different sound. ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
Since today i am listening to a pair of new LS50 speakers in my own setup and i have to say these are totally different beasts. ;) The sound is more direct, more detailled and more open. The speakers still have to be played in, but the result is already better than with the R300 although i still lack a bit of air and would like the voices a bit more forward. I will see if this changes the next days.

Exactly why I'll be changing my R300's for LS50's for my 5.1 system :)

One thing I will mention, is that what the R series and LS50 is ultimately capable of is very dependent on the accompanying electronics. They're the same as the Blades - they can sound great, or they can sound phenomenal.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
One thing I will mention, is that what the R series and LS50 is ultimately capable of is very dependent on the accompanying electronics. They're the same as the Blades - they can sound great, or they can sound phenomenal.

What amplifier below £1500 works best with the LS50 according to you? I currently still use a Cyrus 6XP.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

What amplifier below £1500 works best with the LS50 according to you? I currently still use a Cyrus 6XP.

The R series has worked on almost any amplifier we've tried them on, but I would say that the LS50's will be a little more fussy because of their slightly different presentation. They seem to sound great on a Naim Nait XS, the Leema Elements amplifier, various Cyrus integrateds, and on the end of an Audiolab 8200CDQ/8200P combination too. A 6xp will work fine, but adding a power amp at a later date will definitely benefit.

ErwinC said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Exactly why I'll be changing my R300's for LS50's for my 5.1 system :)

You will be using 5 LS50's en 1 subwoofer?

Yes, it'll be five LS50's used as satellites, and a single subwoofer.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As you can see from my "review" some posts above here, it works well with a vave-amp too! Make it an (valve)amp with strong grip on the bass, and not too bright.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
After several days of playing in and many hours of listening, i can say that the KEF LS50 are all what i expected and much more.

They opened up and bass became tighter, more powerful and has good definition. Soundstage and imaging is excellent, detail retrieval is exceptional for a speaker of this price. Micro and macro dynamics are first rate. The LS50 also play very good at lower listening volumes, something i needed.

They can be placed close against the back wall without problems, something that was not possible with the Dynaudio Focus 110 i owned some time ago.

In one thing they remind me a lot of the Q Acoustics 2020i i owned before. They both provide exceptional value for money imo. ;)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am able to buy a Cyrus PreXvs+XPower for a decent price, but i am wondering if this will be a significant upgrade compared to my current Cyrus 6XP. I mostly listen at lower volumes and have the impression that the 6XP can do this without problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts