KEF R100 speaker review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,forgive my ignorance but could these speakers be added to my system?

I'm looking to improve the music playback side of things,so would i be right in saying these are both home theater and hifi speakers? :oops:

cheers

graham

T

the record spot

The dual concentric Tannoys, as Chebby points out, sound incredibly good. I've had mine for several months now and am nothing but impressed. I'm sure the KEF R100s are very good too, but I imagine they might potentially struggle in smaller rooms or firing across the narrow part of a room.

Admittedly, my audition at the time was hardly a lengthy affair and they probably settle in over time, but they deliver a big sound with a hefty bass. In the audition room (at Edinburgh's Home Cinema Centre), they sounded a tad leaden flooted where they Tannoys were more fleet of foot. The KEFs maybe needed more running in time but it's worth bearing in mind.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The LS50's will sound faster,if you feel the R100's were a little 'heavy', and their better cabinet helps the 'disappear' more. For larger rooms, the R300 dig deeper, play louder, and are clearer due to the dedicated HF/HF UniQ.

And yes to the earlier question of the R100 being used to add into a KHT3005 speaker package, although I would recommend adding the R Series centre at some point too - not only to keep up with the fronts (not that it should be an issue if the the 3005's have been fine in your room), but also to produce a more consistent front soundstage.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to throw a spanner but do people like bright silver drivers on show? A bit brash for my refined sensibilities (irony alert).

Every pair of speakers I've encountered sound noticeably better without their grills. I believe speakers should be heard & not seen! My Arros are bad enough.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personal preference really isn't it? I'd prefer the whole speaker including spdrivers to be black some can't see them while watching a film. But, if the speaker is so much better than anything else in its price point, I don't care what colour or how shiny it is :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I love them,think they look quality 8)

I shall seriously consider these and from what i can see they are a tiny 11inches high,a nat's bum higher than my 3005's.....so navigating itself past the wife test :bounce:

Small matter of £600,but maybe David would take a couple of 3005's in on the deal.... :shifty:

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have some questions:

- How would it (Kef Q100) compare to an 21 years old Epos ES-11 (which was then a very good speaker, and still now!) ? With my valve-amp i already have holographic sound, but i could do with some extra low end (maybe even Kef Q300).

- Could it be used with a (my) valve-amp ?

- From the reviews i see that the (bigger) Q300 is cheaper. Am i wright ?

Thanks for answering.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Rethep said:
I have some questions:

- How would it (Kef Q100) compare to an 21 years old Epos ES-11 (which was then a very good speaker, and still now) ? With my valve-amp I already have holographic sound, but i could do with some extra low end.

I used to love the ES11. Fantastic sounding speaker, as long as they were on their own, open top frame stands (something I'm looking into at the moment for my R300's). You should find the R100's have a little more sparkle in the top end (not excessive though), and bass performance should be tighter and more agile too (especially if you don't have the Epos stands). The main area where the ES11's may compete is the midrange. You could also try the LS50, which are even more 'invisible' than the R100's.

- Could it be used with a (my) valve-amp ?

As long as your amp is happy with an impedance that can dip down to 3.2ohms, it'll be fine.

From the reviews i see that the (bigger) Q300 is cheaper. Am i wright ?

The Q300 is cheaper yes, but the R100 is superior in virtually every way, particularly cabinet construction.

If you try them out and they're not quite deep enough for you, the three-way R300 will be worth looking at. These will be more efficient too.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks David.

The ES-11's are beautiful yes. That's why i have them for such long time. They were never really meant for valve-amps, but i never got this really good sound with transistor-amps.

More low end kick would be welcome yes. I'm also thinking about the Epos Epic-2. Btw i have the original Epos stands.

But with that R100's top-end sparkle, will i have more sibilance then, because i don't want much more of that ? That sibilance is because of the acoustics too, but i don't want to change that too much.

Thanks again.

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I used to have the Epos ES11 too, also the KEF Q30's. There is a certain open quality to the uni-Q driver that is hard to match, the Epos are something though, not as "3D" but more musical. The old Epos ES11, 14 (and the old KEF too, like the 104's and other models) are cult for a reason.

A

Anonymous

The R100s are very impressive. The imaging and soundstage is exceptional. After they open up the bass is even more impressive and not just for their size. I believe the cabinet contributes to the tight and genuine bass delivery. The cabinet is finished beautifully and is far superior in this respect to pretty much any other speaker I've seen. They also get a lot of criticism for being bright but I can assure you THAT is not the word I would choose to describe them. They have a full body sound and their midrange is just as sweet as the low end and treble. Overall I am extremely satisfied with them and I would highly reccomend them. I'm running them with a Rega Brio R/HRT Streamer PRO off a laptop.

Ps. Tough choice between these and the Epos Epic 2's which are in my main system. Which btw I prefer to just about any other speaker I've heard below 1k.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts