KEF R100 & Rega RS3 on demo all weekend

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well hopefuly this weekend has been my last chance demoing speakers to replace my lovely RS1.

Had the Dyns last week, lovely speakers but not sure If I could live with them full time - they were just a little bit too bright for me.

Well I thought it would be a done deal with the Rega RS3 and the so called Rega Synergy - but I have been taken by surprise - the KEF R100 blew my socks off - the bass was really kicking me in the chest, so much clarity & precison. PRaT is what they give!

Had them on all day with the Brio R & RP6 and I really am taken with them, at one point I am in a quandry as the RS3 sound amazing too, however I think the RS3 just lose there way a little with bassy passages. I love the RS3 and I would really be happy with them, but suprisingly the KEF R100 just give me everything.

Demo over, all speakers packed up.

Will be ordering some Paino Gloss KEF R100 in the morning!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Bit of a panic now!

Got the RS3 back out the box, one thing I didnt try is the bass drivers facing outwards.

Set them up again now - gonna give em a few hours - missus & kids out all night!!

PS its a bit of a faff setting up the rears as I have not got cable long enough at the moment.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Steve - you really are an idiot!

Got the RS3 drivers facing outwards, different speaker now - mmm lots of nice bass now!

Steve, I'm sure we've all done it. :oops:

Good to hear the RS3s are now performing.

Matt

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmh,

Dont feel obliged to make a decision just because you got some speakers on loan. I've been there and I am sure many others have too.

Sleep over it and think about it for a couple of days.

Its the speakers you miss most (if any of them) that are probably right.

The old saying .. if in doubt, sling it ...

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Gone for the RS3 in Piano black...........
smiley-cool.gif

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve. I had a similar dilemma. Love the Kefs but the Rega

"synergy" won me over. Just curious as to the positioning of

your RS3s...are they in open space or anywhere near a side wall?

I have one of each and have them pointing in. RP3 is great but

would like to compare RP6!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I know I have made the right choice! My RS! have been relegated to Rear duty in my AV set up.

My RS3 are 2.3 m apart, slightly toed in, listening position is 3.5m, 50cm from back wall - I have the drivers firing outwards and have 1m from right side wall and 2m from left side wall. My AV rack with TV, BDP, AV amp is in the middle of the speakers.

They sound ace, i love them - dealer has let me keep them until my Piano Gloss ones are sent from Rega (weekend hopefuly)

The KEF, Dyns are great speakers - I am not saying the RS3s are better, but neither are the Dyns or KEF, like you say it made sense to have the Rega considering I have the Rega VOX.

:0

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
RP3 is great but

take my advice, stick with the RP3 and dont think about an RP6 and save yourself some money and earache from the missus!

In all seriousness, the RP6 is absolutely fantastic - actually my poor little DAC hasnt been on for a week now - better show it some love!

Just realised you have the TT PSU, you are more or less there with regards to an RP6, personally I would get a Groovetracer SubPlatter, apparently it lifts the deck to another level - have a look on the Rega section of Vinyl Engine forums

stevebrock said:
RP3 is great but

take my advice, stick with the RP3 and dont think about an RP6 and save yourself some money and earache from the missus!

In all seriousness, the RP6 is absolutely fantastic - my poor little DAC hasnt been on for a week now - better show it some love!

Then get yourself a Naim CD5i-2. :twisted:

When it comes to Rega turntables how did the RP3 compare to the Dac? In addition, how much of an improvement is the RP6 over the Dac?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
RP3 is great but

In all seriousness, the RP6 is absolutely fantastic - my poor little DAC hasnt been on for a week now - better show it some love!

When it comes to Rega turntables how did the RP3 compare to the Dac? In addition, how much of an improvement is the RP6 over the Dac?

Why would I do that?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure if you can compare a DAC to a TT, its a different sound!

I love vinyl & digital - both formats exist in perfect harmony!

Each has its merits - but imho Vinyl sounds nice than digital for me and thats all that matters.

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
RP3 is great but

Why would I do that?

First, it'll revitise your interest in CDs. :)

Seriously, though, if your main digital format is cds then why have two components when one will suffice? I know you've heard the Uniti - Naim claims it is based around the CD5i-2 and the amp is on the Nait 5i - but the CD5i is a staggering cdp for the price. If the Brio-R is as you and others claim that's agile, yet smooth and detailed, it sounds very similar to the Leema in many respects, and therefore should work a treat.

Having heard the original Apollo and the Rega Dac, although different in presentation, the Naim CDP is another league above IMO. The attack, detail and solidity is fabulous. It sounds a little thicker than the original Apollo (impressive in some ways but lacks depth in the midrange and bass, compared to the Arcam), but not quite as warm as the Dac.

At least hear one with your Brio-R and RS3s. Don't dismiss it because the Uniti didn't do it for you. That's the mistake I made after hearing the Nait 5i amp. Totally dismissed the CD5i-2. Couldn't be more wrong.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP,

I see what your getting at!

I dont have a CDP anymore, everything comes straight off the NAS into Rega DAC - I really honestly can not see the point in another CDP unless it DAC can be utilised.......like the new Saturn R

I am sure the CD5i is lovely, but £850? is it going to be that much better than what I have already got?

stevebrock said:
PP,

I see what your getting at!

I dont have a CDP anymore, everything comes straight off the NAS into Rega DAC - I really honestly can not see the point in another CDP unless it DAC can be utilised.......like the new Saturn R

I am sure the CD5i is lovely, but £850? is it going to be that much better than what I have already got?

Didn't realise you'd chopped the Apollo-R. End of discussion.

Just for reference I would be surprised if a sub-£500 CDP would be near a £900 machine. This is just logic and guess work as I haven't heard the Apollo-R.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
no worries!

I wouldnt rule out a CDP in the future - sometinhg like a Saturn!

It was the uniti qute i listened too, it was nice but preferred the Rega sound!

If I knew what i knew now, i probably would of auditioned a uniti & maybe I would not of got into vinyl!

the only reason I got into vinyl was because I was fed up of some CDs just sounding rubbish on a £1048 CDP & DAC combo! Poor recordings/mastering on CD really isnt acceptable - just laziness!

CD has massive potential to sound excellent, but sadly the medium is just abused by dynamic compression etc etc

However I have some really lovely sounding CDs with a superb dynamic range - a lot 90s stuff - they sound great off the NAS>Rega DAC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts