Kef R100 or Acoustic Energy 301 urgent help.

pedromarmot

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I need urgent help and opinions about this two, they are my only options for my new Naim Unitiqute2, and I dont have the chance to try them.

What of this two its a better speaker? I play all kinds of music and also for movies.

Thank all opinions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It may seem unhelpful, but "better" boils down to the one you prefer.

FWIW The R100 is the best that I've heard at it's price (with the LS50 being worth the extra imo).....but TBF I haven't heard the AE.

pedromarmot said:
I need urgent help and opinions about this two, they are my only options for my new Naim Unitiqute2, and I dont have the chance to try them.

What of this two its a better speaker? I play all kinds of music and also for movies.

Thank all opinions.

What sort of presentation do you prefer? Is it a smoother, more emotive sound or analytical? If the former you'd probably be better with Kef from the reviews I've read.

Whichever one you choose make sure you get a 'Returns' agreement, just in case.

pedromarmot

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Puff, thats the best, but I think its not gone a be posible. Anyone have the chance to ear both?

Any experiencie from Unitiqute with KEF r100?

Thanks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
AE 301s are hard to get to hear, they are meant to be stocked by RicherS but when I went there they special order only.

Whereabouts are you?

I would have thought the KEF R100s are a safer bet, the AE301s I heard a few negative views.

pedromarmot

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Im in Madrid and this two are my only options, at the same time I dont have the chance to return it.

I know some good opinions about Unitiqute with Kef R100, but what about 301, any opinion about the new Acoustics Speakers?

Thanks.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pedro,

You've probably made your decision by now but just for info the 3-Series is designed on Naim (Supernait primarily and UnitiQute for testing with lower power output) with additional listening on an AVI lab series and an 80 Watt valve amp. There should be no issues with matching and the 301's are designed to have a very even, low colouration sound which will appeal or not depending on taste!

Cheers,

Jim.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Pedro,

The 301's were designed on Crimson Audio solid core copper cables but these may be hard to find, we use Chord Company Epic Twin in our second listening room and this works very well. There aren't many cables I would consider "bad" to be honest - the longer the run the more of an effect they'll have so the best advice is to keep the lengths as short as you need for best results.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new system, let us know how you get on!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi PP, yeah we've been changing our UK distribution for a while now - half a dozen big independents and Richer sounds for the 3-Series and below. (They shouldn't be special order but standard stock so not sure why that was said).

Tonally they are very even-handed as the reviews seem to pick up on, the slot port has a lot to do with that, it works very well to extend bass over a broad range rather than "honk" strongly over a limited one. They can sound a little dry in comparison with standard ported speakers due to this but it's something you appreciate more the longer you listen, they can produce some very good bass but will not add it if it's not on the track. The big 305 floorstanders can be stunningly dynamic and powerful with this same character. I'd say they sound cleaner and clearer than the old ranges but won't impress as quickly in a shop demo, the more I've heard them the more I appreciate and enjoy them! (I guess I would say that though!) :)

AEJim said:
Hi PP, yeah we've been changing our UK distribution for a while now - half a dozen big independents and Richer sounds for the 3-Series and below. (They shouldn't be special order but standard stock so not sure why that was said).

Tonally they are very even-handed as the reviews seem to pick up on, the slot port has a lot to do with that, it works very well to extend bass over a broad range rather than "honk" strongly over a limited one. They can sound a little dry in comparison with standard ported speakers due to this but it's something you appreciate more the longer you listen, they can produce some very good bass but will not add it if it's not on the track. The big 305 floorstanders can be stunningly dynamic and powerful with this same character. I'd say they sound cleaner and clearer than the old ranges but won't impress as quickly in a shop demo, the more I've heard them the more I appreciate and enjoy them! (I guess I would say that though!) :)

Cheers, Jim. Yeah, before committing to new speakers I'll have to hear the Ref 1s with my amp. The only stinger for me is the price of the dedicated stands. Sure they do the speakers justice but together is close on a 2k price. Mrs. P would get the frying pan out on me. :)

BTW, no-one has told me about the lack of AE stockists... once upon a time Unilet used to stock them, if memory serves me right. Not sure what ranges Richer holds, apart from the advertised models.

Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 188516

Atlas 3.0 is one of the best sounding cables in and around the under £75 a meter, very nice sound

the good old days of a busy forum with members that did not accuse others of having agendas !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts